I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but I assume it is. If not, I don't know where else it could possibly go.

Anyway, I've been putting a lot of thought into buying this guitar. I won't be able to get it for a while anyway because of the price but I was wondering what anyone who has experience with it thinks of it. I'm not talking about the regular model but the signature one; they have different parts and the signature model is a LOT better.

Also, does anyone know if the ESP one is better, the LTD one, or are they both the same?

Tell me what experience you have with this guitar too. If you own it, tell me how long you've owned it and if you've played it a lot or just a little or if you've only tried it out, then tell me how many times you have tried it or if you've tried it so many times, you don't remember how many. I just want to know so I can gauge how reliable your advice is.

Thanks everyone
Last edited by RC52190 at Nov 3, 2008,
maybe in the Electric Guitar thread
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Hey
Yeh I've owned this guitar for nearly a year and I have to say it's awesome. It had a perfect set up from the box and the extra thin U is really good for soloing.

From specs point of view both the KH-2 and KH-602 are the same, just ones from the custom shop in the U.S. IMO the I don't see why you would pay twice as much for the ESP version.

Here's the link of me playing it.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963863
Quote by bucketmark
maybe in the Electric Guitar thread

Thanks that was a really helpful piece of advice. I beg of you, lend me more of your insight.
Quote by daniel91_rhcp
Hey
Yeh I've owned this guitar for nearly a year and I have to say it's awesome. It had a perfect set up from the box and the extra thin U is really good for soloing.

From specs point of view both the KH-2 and KH-602 are the same, just ones from the custom shop in the U.S. IMO the I don't see why you would pay twice as much for the ESP version.

Damn that sounds really nice. I checked out some user reviews on this guitar too and I haven't heard one bad thing about it. It sounds pretty insane and I even heard that it's underpriced. I was planning on getting the LTD version anyway but I was just wondering if there was a difference and I actually didn't know that the difference was price. I thought they'd be the same. lol

I've been playing for about a year and a half or so and I'm pretty serious about playing as far as time-spending goes but I want to get more serious as far as equipment goes. I own a $270 Dean Vendetta (Barely more than an entry level guitar) and honestly it plays pretty well for the price. Can't say I'm that unsatisfied with it; It still even has the stock strings on it. None of them broke yet or anything XD. Also I only own a 15W Spider III with it so I need to upgrade that also but I want to upgrade my guitar first. The amp isn't such a problem because I use a Metal Zone MT-2 with it and it sounds pretty good. Anyway, I'm going to stop babbling. Thank you for the advice, that was pretty helpful and nice guitar playing too, man. I wish I could play "Eruption" XD
The Esp is probably made out of higher quality materials that's why its more expensive.
Quote by Linkin p4rk
The Esp is probably made out of higher quality materials that's why its more expensive.

I don't know about that. I checked the stats for both guitars on the ESP site and the only difference is that the KH-2 has Gotoh tuners and the KH-602 has ESP tuners which really doesn't matter that much. As long as they tune, right? I guess the only difference is the name ESP on it so it's more expensive.

Jesus Christ, I just checked the price of each of them on musician's friend and the KH-2 is almost twice as much. What the hell is with that?
Quote by RC52190
I don't know about that. I checked the stats for both guitars on the ESP site and the only difference is that the KH-2 has Gotoh tuners and the KH-602 has ESP tuners which really doesn't matter that much. As long as they tune, right? I guess the only difference is the name ESP on it so it's more expensive.

Jesus Christ, I just checked the price of each of them on musician's friend and the KH-2 is almost twice as much. What the hell is with that?

Supposedly the LTD is factory made, whereas the ESP is made in the custom shop in Japan or something along that line. I dunno about the KH-602 vs the KH-2, but also a point of merit would be for you to check the location of manufacture. It may be possible that the ESP is made in Japan and the LTD somewhere else, Korea is supposedly where the LTD factory is located. I'm not entirely sure about this point though.

The other thing is this, quality of the wood and potentially the level of quality control. The woods may be the same, but potentially the ESP guitars could be cut from the best woods among the batch, or woods meant for ESP guitars are picked first and then the woods for the LTD guitars picked. While the quality of the wood may be similar, the ESP may have the better quality woods among the batch of guitars. However, that's not to say that LTD are made of cheepo wood, just probably not the choice cuts.

Also, the price difference could be due to the number of points of quality control checks. While the quality control of the LTD may be sufficient, the ESP units could go through a more stringent quality control process. Maybe LTD undergoes 100 points of check, whereas the ESPs could go through 250.

I bought an Edwards Alexi Laiho, and when I tested the ESP out and then the Edwards out, the ESP was setup slightly better. but they felt the same nonetheless. I had to spend about 1/2 hour to make minor adjustments. Other than that, the edwards was practically identical to the ESP.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by ragingkitty
Supposedly the LTD is factory made, whereas the ESP is made in the custom shop in Japan or something along that line. I dunno about the KH-602 vs the KH-2, but also a point of merit would be for you to check the location of manufacture. It may be possible that the ESP is made in Japan and the LTD somewhere else, Korea is supposedly where the LTD factory is located. I'm not entirely sure about this point though.

The other thing is this, quality of the wood and potentially the level of quality control. The woods may be the same, but potentially the ESP guitars could be cut from the best woods among the batch, or woods meant for ESP guitars are picked first and then the woods for the LTD guitars picked. While the quality of the wood may be similar, the ESP may have the better quality woods among the batch of guitars. However, that's not to say that LTD are made of cheepo wood, just probably not the choice cuts.

Also, the price difference could be due to the number of points of quality control checks. While the quality control of the LTD may be sufficient, the ESP units could go through a more stringent quality control process. Maybe LTD undergoes 100 points of check, whereas the ESPs could go through 250.

I bought an Edwards Alexi Laiho, and when I tested the ESP out and then the Edwards out, the ESP was setup slightly better. but they felt the same nonetheless. I had to spend about 1/2 hour to make minor adjustments. Other than that, the edwards was practically identical to the ESP.

Hmm, those are some extremely valid points... But even so, after looking at the price difference in them, I don't think I'd get the ESP over the LTD.

Your time taken to type all that will not go to waste though XD. When I buy my guitars in the future, I will take that stuff into consideration :].
You know what i dont understand?
That people are willing to pay for an overpriced budget-line signature guitar while they can buy a 'top end of the line'-guitar with the same money (seond hand or not). Get an ESP Horizon ffs.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
You know what i dont understand?
That people are willing to pay for an overpriced budget-line signature guitar while they can buy a 'top end of the line'-guitar with the same money (seond hand or not). Get an ESP Horizon ffs.

Well I like to go for the gimmick like a loser and play Kirk Hammett's actual model!

Besides, I don't know of any other guitars that are made the exact same way, play the exact same way and get the ratings that I've seen that guitar get... The exact same way.

I don't see any FFS anywhere; google, the ESP site, or Musician's Friend. All I see is the Horizon FR-2 and NT-2. Did you just make that guitar up? XD The NT-2 isn't close to what I want (I'm sure you probably weren't suggesting that one though) and the FR-2 only comes in red, which I don't want and honestly, I just love the inlays on the KH-602 and I want those lol. It also has a different neck pickup than the KH-602. There's two EMG 81's on the KH-602 and on the Horizon FR-2, there's an 85 on the neck. Honestly I really don't have a preference between the two pickups; I don't even really know the difference but I'm just saying if I did want an 81 on the neck instead of an 85, it's not the same and you were sort of saying it was. Playability, sound and quality count the most when buying a guitar but after that, you gotta take looks into account too and the KH-602 just blows that guitar away as far as looks go (At least in my opinion).
Quote by RC52190
Well I like to go for the gimmick like a loser and play Kirk Hammett's actual model!

Besides, I don't know of any other guitars that are made the exact same way, play the exact same way and get the ratings that I've seen that guitar get... The exact same way.

I don't see any FFS anywhere; google, the ESP site, or Musician's Friend. All I see is the Horizon FR-2 and NT-2. Did you just make that guitar up? XD The NT-2 isn't close to what I want (I'm sure you probably weren't suggesting that one though) and the FR-2 only comes in red, which I don't want and honestly, I just love the inlays on the KH-602 and I want those lol. It also has a different neck pickup than the KH-602. There's two EMG 81's on the KH-602 and on the Horizon FR-2, there's an 85 on the neck. Honestly I really don't have a preference between the two pickups; I don't even really know the difference but I'm just saying if I did want an 81 on the neck instead of an 85, it's not the same and you were sort of saying it was. Playability, sound and quality count the most when buying a guitar but after that, you gotta take looks into account too and the KH-602 just blows that guitar away as far as looks go (At least in my opinion).

never mind the FFS, but i didnt mean a guitarmodel.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
FFS = For FvC|<5 Sake,
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
FFS = For FvC|<5 Sake,

Oh I've never heard that one before XD ...Man I feel dumb now >.>;

I'm guessing the mods are big nazis about swearing in the forums?
nah he just likes to confuse people
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
Quote by Besa-Moogie
nah he just likes to confuse people

lol Well, in that case, he's a focker! D:<
Quote by RC52190

Just get what you like, trying to justify a preference is like torture. It hurts, is painful and usually a futile effort, achieving nothing.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Just get what you like, trying to justify a preference is like torture. It hurts, is painful and usually a futile effort, achieving nothing.

lol That's definitely true but I just feel that I need to do it for self-satisfaction :]
I think that the ESP would be more reliable. It would definitely be better in terms of construction.

Just checked the website and the KH-2 is bolt-on and has a flat neck contour, whereas the KH-602 is a neck-through and has a U neck contour.
Quote by leephan
I think that the ESP would be more reliable. It would definitely be better in terms of construction.

Just checked the website and the KH-2 is bolt-on and has a flat neck contour, whereas the KH-602 is a neck-through and has a U neck contour.

I'd go for the LTD, based on specs alone, it looks better. Plus the neck-thru'll add to your sustain and tone.

Unless its the bottom of the line, the LTD should be just as good as the ESP. In this case, the neck-thru and the Gotoh tuners are a plus.

In any event, you'll even have kirk's signature on the head-stock itself. At the distance from the stage to even the audience in front, 99.99% will not be able to tell the difference between an ESP and a LTD.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by leephan

Well they have both a KH-2 neck-thru and a bolt on version.

I probably sound like a guitar noob now but what exactly is the difference between a flat neck contour and a U neck contour? I don't know what either of those terms apply to honestly. XD
Quote by ragingkitty
I'd go for the LTD, based on specs alone, it looks better. Plus the neck-thru'll add to your sustain and tone.

Unless its the bottom of the line, the LTD should be just as good as the ESP. In this case, the neck-thru and the Gotoh tuners are a plus.

In any event, you'll even have kirk's signature on the head-stock itself. At the distance from the stage to even the audience in front, 99.99% will not be able to tell the difference between an ESP and a LTD.

I actually didn't know that a neck-thru guitar has more sustain and tone than a bolt-on. That's really good to know but they actually have a neck-thru of both versions.

It shouldn't be bottom of the line for $1100 or do you mean if I just so happen to get a bottom-of-the-line one of all the KH-602's out there? It actually has ESP tuners on it though, not Gotoh tuners but is there really much of a difference anyway?
Hell yea I'll have his signature on there! And I'm not going to be doing gigs with it any time soon, if ever at all (I hope to but I don't know if I'll have the chance) but if I do, that's a pretty good point. No one else will know besides me and my band members. XD
Quote by RC52190
I actually didn't know that a neck-thru guitar has more sustain and tone than a bolt-on. That's really good to know but they actually have a neck-thru of both versions.

It shouldn't be bottom of the line for $1100 or do you mean if I just so happen to get a bottom-of-the-line one of all the KH-602's out there? It actually has ESP tuners on it though, not Gotoh tuners but is there really much of a difference anyway?
Hell yea I'll have his signature on there! And I'm not going to be doing gigs with it any time soon, if ever at all (I hope to but I don't know if I'll have the chance) but if I do, that's a pretty good point. No one else will know besides me and my band members. XD

Due to the continous contact from the neck to the body, a neck thru should have greater tone a sustain than a bolt-on. In theory...

neck-thru > set neck > bolt on

in terms of sustain and tone, but I find it quite hard to tell the difference.

What I meant by "bottom-of-the-line" is the uber cheap LTD guitars... which the 602 is not.

To be honest, all my guitars... from my first Ibanez right up to my 2 current Edwards have Gotohs, and they keep tune really well. My friend has an Eclipse which has ESP tuners and they work fine. So I doubt there's really much difference... but if you're gonna be paying more moeny, I reckon you should pay for better quality rather than the ESP name.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by RC52190

I don't see any FFS anywhere; google, the ESP site, or Musician's Friend. All I see is the Horizon FR-2 and NT-2. Did you just make that guitar up? XD.

Why don't you look at the M series?
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by DespisedIcon

Why don't you look at the M series?

I just spent an hour checking out what M-series guitars interested me, checked the prices and looked at reviews on each and the only one that interests me after doing all that is the MH-400. Other than that, they're all within about $100 of the KH-602 anyway and the KH-602 got better reviews than all of them so of course I'd get that. The MH-400 is interesting though. It's a $700 guitar with a set-neck, an EMG 81 on the brige and an 85 on the neck and a double locking bridge (I'd rather have a Floyd Rose but oh well) Kind of don't like the finish on it though, but for $400 less, that's not that much of a problem. I'll have to see where I am financially in a month or two and judge whether I can take the KH-602 or just get the MH-400. lol
Quote by ragingkitty
Due to the continous contact from the neck to the body, a neck thru should have greater tone a sustain than a bolt-on. In theory...

neck-thru > set neck > bolt on

in terms of sustain and tone, but I find it quite hard to tell the difference.

What I meant by "bottom-of-the-line" is the uber cheap LTD guitars... which the 602 is not.

To be honest, all my guitars... from my first Ibanez right up to my 2 current Edwards have Gotohs, and they keep tune really well. My friend has an Eclipse which has ESP tuners and they work fine. So I doubt there's really much difference... but if you're gonna be paying more moeny, I reckon you should pay for better quality rather than the ESP name.

Yea, that's actually common sense really. The sound would resonate better through a solid piece of wood rather than two pieces of would bolted together. Duh. lol

Now, what exactly is a set neck? What sets it apart from a neck-thru and a bolt-on?

Oh hell yea the 602 shouldn't be for its price. It should be top 'o the line!

Well even if the ESP tuners really are worse than the Gotoh tuners, they're not worth paying $1100 more for the ESP model. XD I could just have them replaced if I hated them that much. There's no way I plan on paying twice as much just so the name "ESP" will be on my guitar. My guitar teacher actually says that he doesn't like the ESP models as much as the LTD ones and that the LTD's feel much better (Don't really know why, they're pretty much the same but he's strange like that).
Quote by LP_CL
Here: some more stuff that'll make your choice harder
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Hex-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=515961

30$ cheaper, AND you get an ebony fretboard.

Nah, I've had my heart set on an LTD for a long time so it doesn't really make it harder. Nice try though ;D But hey, funny coincidence; one of my best friend's who I also play guitar with is named "Michael Kelly" XD
Quote by RC52190
Yea, that's actually common sense really. The sound would resonate better through a solid piece of wood rather than two pieces of would bolted together. Duh. lol

Now, what exactly is a set neck? What sets it apart from a neck-thru and a bolt-on?

Oh hell yea the 602 shouldn't be for its price. It should be top 'o the line!

Well even if the ESP tuners really are worse than the Gotoh tuners, they're not worth paying $1100 more for the ESP model. XD I could just have them replaced if I hated them that much. There's no way I plan on paying twice as much just so the name "ESP" will be on my guitar. My guitar teacher actually says that he doesn't like the ESP models as much as the LTD ones and that the LTD's feel much better (Don't really know why, they're pretty much the same but he's strange like that).

Hmmm... Google for the answer?

Well since I'm already posting I might as well tell you

Neck-thru: as the name suggests, the neck is one long piece which run from the head stock right through the body of the guitar. I'm not exactly sure about the construction of the guitar body, but I was informed that the body are 2 separate pieces of wood which are set to the neck like "wings". This is the most expensive way to construct a guitar due to the quantity of wood used.

Bolt-on: the body and the neck are 2 separate pieces. Bolts are then used to secure the neck to the body, near the highest frets. This the the cheapest way to construct a guitar.

Set-neck: Again the body and the neck are 2 separate pieces. The neck is attached (or set) to the body by means of glue. The greater contact between the neck and the body due to the glue means this has greater sustain and tone compared to a bolt-on but less than a neck-thru. This is the 2nd most expensive way to construct a guitar, but a very troublesome method due to the use of glue.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Kh602 LTD is an awesome guitar but you mentioned the M400 ...if you havent tried this guitar you have to...for the price it sounds amazing and is hard to put down...I am in the same dilemma of choosing a guitar. I am getting a settlement and I really like Esp/Ltd guitars but made the mistake of watching a metallica cover on youtube done with a Music Man John Petrucci and also really like this guitar as well. MM is much more expensive though......
i bought the kh602 about 2 months ago. real nice guitar. i dont think the kh 2 is worth the price for the minimal differences(place of build, different neck contour and tuners). if you have nevered played a finished neck i suggest you do so first before buying one
Quote by rocket7171
Kh602 LTD is an awesome guitar but you mentioned the M400 ...if you havent tried this guitar you have to...for the price it sounds amazing and is hard to put down...I am in the same dilemma of choosing a guitar. I am getting a settlement and I really like Esp/Ltd guitars but made the mistake of watching a metallica cover on youtube done with a Music Man John Petrucci and also really like this guitar as well. MM is much more expensive though......

You're saying if I haven't tried the MH-400, I have to right? Because I'm confused about whether you mean the KH-602 of the MH-400 lol

Anyway, anyone have any opinions on the M-1000? Because I think I'm going to get that now instead. It's just about the same as the KH-602 except for a couple differences but it's like $300 cheaper and I like the body finish better but I don't like the design on the neck/headstock or the inlays much D:
Quote by Øttər
The MG isn't an amplifier, it's a box filled with angry, angry bees.

XD

The junk in my trunk:
Guitar: Dean Vendetta 1
Amp: 15W Line 6 Spider III amp
Effects Gear: Boss Metal Zone MT-2 Distortion Pedal.

Next Guitar: LTD M-1000
Dunno if OP is still interested in the KH-602, but I recently purchased it.

It's a fantastic guitar. Looks, feels, plays great. It's more of a colder sound, because it's equipped (until 2008) with two EMG 81's. The 2009 model actually has an EMG 60 in the neck position which helps warm it up a bit.

But I imagine you're playing metal and fast leads. This guitar will be perfect for you, if so. Getting used to the jumbo frets, in the lower fret positions can be a bit of a task, but nothing you can't get used to.

You're also confused about the signature model. The KH-602 IS the signature model, period. KH stands for Kirk Hammett.

Main difference between ESP (KH-2) and the LTD (KH-602) is simply where they're made. The ESP's are made in Japan, at ESP's custom shop, by hand, with the best wood / components. The LTD's are made on an assembly line in a production facility in Korea with lower quality wood / components.

The reason the KH-2 has a bolt-on neck is because Kirk went through a stage performance phase of breaking his guitars. However, he'd break them in a way where only the neck would have to be replaced (his guitar tech would do this after the show).

You've only been playing for a year, so I wouldn't even suggest you spend $1k on a guitar. Unless you're a virtuoso and/or you practice 12 hours a day and have really improved. A $500-700 guitar would do you JUST fine for a while.

I got mine for $918. Music123 price matched some site that had it for $940. So keep that in mind if you do get it.

good luck.
Last edited by Jam3V at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by daniel91_rhcp
Hey

Play it to learn that tidbit ESPs are made better, feel better, and just have this look about them that LTDs don't have.

Regardless from the specs and the fact I've played it's neck shape before, the neck will feel a bit small, but that just puts the string spacing closer together so it's easier to cross strings faster.

Also, what the guy above me said

And int he KH602 vs. M400: I would rather have the M400 personally I love arrowhead inlays...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 8, 2009,