im really determined to learn the typical scales, major, minor pentatonic, you know. and i understand the positions.
but is the "scale" itself all of the positions together? or is it the same group of notes, just played at different octaves w/ diff. positions?

sorry if that makes zero sense, i tried to word what's banging around in my head as best as i could
Well first of all, there is never a dumb question if the answer makes u learn something. And about ur question im sorry to say, i didnt quite get wat u were asking. Therefore i suggest that if u have the guitar pro software... look at the scales function and check out how for example the E minor pentatonic scale is noted on the fretboard. Next change the key to say E-flat minor pentatonic and see how the position for the notes change on the fretboard... Maybe that will help answer ur question.
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
i dont have it but ill download it and take a look at what you're talking about. i appreciate the suggestion regardless though.
A note played an octave higher or lower is still the same note, it has the same name. Therefore, a diatonic scale (the "regular" scale) has 7 notes, regardless of in which octave you play the notes in. It just wouldn't be practical to take all the octaves into account: theoretically, there's an infinite number of octaves so there would be an infinite number of notes in every scale, if you named them all after the octave they're in.

So, for example, the C Major scale consists of the notes: C-D-E-F-G-A-B. You can play these notes on any position on the neck, in any octave. Don't confuse the word "scale" with the "shape" or "diagram" of the positions of the notes on the neck, they're not the same. A (diatonic) scale only has seven notes, but there are more than 7 positions on the neck where you can play them...

So in short: you are playing in a certain "scale" as long as you play ONLY the 7 notes in that scale, regardless of the "position" of those notes on the neck.

Hope that's understandable

Cheers!
ZeG
ohiseewutyadidthar

that does help quite a bit.

i think i found a more clear question that may help you help me better

say i want to play in the G minor pentatonic scale. I learned this in position one (e position), starting on 6th string fret 3. its called the g blah blah scale b/c of the root note g. but i also know the root note appears two more times in this position. so can i also play the G minor pentatonic scale using position 2 (d position) but sliding the position up or down so that the "starting point" lands on the root note g?

i may have just answered my own question there, i feel like its right in front of me

edit: IM actually not even sure wtf im asking at this point. so just say yeah and lets call it a day eh? lol i think i just want to know everything about everything, and its causing short circuits upstairs
Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section, they'll make things clearer...you need to start at the beginning with theory if you want it to make sense.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by stilt37
ohiseewutyadidthar

that does help quite a bit.

i think i found a more clear question that may help you help me better

say i want to play in the G minor pentatonic scale. I learned this in position one (e position), starting on 6th string fret 3. its called the g blah blah scale b/c of the root note g. but i also know the root note appears two more times in this position. so can i also play the G minor pentatonic scale using position 2 (d position) but sliding the position up or down so that the "starting point" lands on the root note g?

i may have just answered my own question there, i feel like its right in front of me

edit: IM actually not even sure wtf im asking at this point. so just say yeah and lets call it a day eh? lol i think i just want to know everything about everything, and its causing short circuits upstairs

I'm not sure what you mean with "1st position" being the "E position" at the 3rd fret on the 6th string, and the "2nd position" being the "D position".. Are you sure you understand the meaning of the word "position"? What book/guide/article did you use to learn these "positions"? Because you are using the term in a confusing and incorrect way, I believe... You're even confusing yourself

Cheers!
ZeG
And also, I recommend you to read my guide: The Ultimate Guide to Guitar (link in sig)..
I'm still writing it as we speak, but tomorrow the first article on scales: "scales for beginners" will come out.

Cheers
ZeG
If you haven't already, learn the notes on the fretboard it'll make playing scales much more understandable. It takes some time but you'll get it after awhile.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
I'm not sure what you mean with "1st position" being the "E position" at the 3rd fret on the 6th string, and the "2nd position" being the "D position".. Are you sure you understand the meaning of the word "position"? What book/guide/article did you use to learn these "positions"? Because you are using the term in a confusing and incorrect way, I believe... You're even confusing yourself

Cheers!
ZeG

i've been learning my scales and such on justinguitar.com, ive been learning the notes on all the strings, while i dont have them memorized yet, i understand how they work, and how to move the different positions up and down to get different keys of scales. and ill read your article as it becomes available, i read the existing ones, and im anticipatin' the new one