Poll: Which do you choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you choose?
Songs with meaningful lyrics
93 62%
Songs with ANYTHING for lyrics, as long as the vocals are part of the song structure
56 38%
Voters: 149.
Page 1 of 2
ok haven't found anything with search bar, but it's probably been done before... sorry if it has.

The idea for this was bought on from an argument with my friend.

Do the lyrics in songs really matter to you, or would you listen to gibberish if it still added to the song structure?

I'm personally arguing that lyrics have to be meaningful, though my friend says (quote): "who cares as long as it fits and sounds good"

EDIT: Just imagine if Metallica's "One" had rubbish lyrics

EDIT EDIT: Ok if you're not a Metallica fan and don't like "One" anyway, please think of a different song as an example.
Last edited by Rokeman at Nov 2, 2008,
I can listen to Disturbed without cringing, so I guess I'm with your friend on this one.

EDIT:
For the record: I think that 90% of todays lyrics, not matter what genre, are pointless retarded bullsh*t anyway.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 2, 2008,
ok poll up now. I actually think Disturbed's lyrics are kind of meaningful... by the second option i mean like indechiperable (spelt wrong i think) lyrics, or gibberish and such.
Quote by TheQuailman
I can listen to Disturbed without cringing, so I guess I'm with your friend on this one.

EDIT:
For the record: I think that 90% of todays lyrics, not matter what genre, are pointless retarded bullsh*t anyway.

I would've agreed with you, but then i saw your duck avatar.

ducks are gay. get a frog avatar.
Quote by ~Moby Dick~
I would've agreed with you, but then i saw your duck avatar.

ducks are gay. get a frog avatar.

Avatars are kind of irrelevant here. each to his own avatar.
I was once listening to Amon Amarth and had to stop because the singer was being too articulate and I understood the lyrics and realised how shit they were
i listen to foreign music, and you can get an emotion from the music without understanding it, the voice is just another instrument.
I really do put the music first, i just do.

To be honest, having a cool line adds to it, but that's all, it's just gravy. Between the buried and me have to have some of the wierdest lines i've ever heard, but it's the way he growls them, yet his lyrics still have meaning, just alot more subtle than most metal songs i think.

But back to the point, he could be singing absolute nonsense, aslong as the melody is good, or just the general sound, i will still love it, the rest is gravy.
Quote by pbiggie
I would rather have terrible lyrics and great vocals.

+1

Lamb of God used to have great lyrics, but now they aren't the best. For example, the opening lyrics of More Time To Kill from their Sacrament album.

"I just heard the news you were dying,
Hot damn! We're already partying"

Even though those lyrics are pretty cringeworthy, it's still an awesome song and an awesome album.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
as much as I love Queensryche, if Geoff Tate would leave the band and they got a new singer, I would never listen to a new record from them...I'm a singer, it would REALLY bother me.
I take meaningful lyrics. Look at Circle Takes the Square's "As the Roots Undo" album. Really hard to decipher (the vocals are way busy), but the lyrics are incredible. The vocals are still definitely a part of the structure, they're just not as melodically derivative as some music. I would rather the vocals be like that anyways.
A few songs on Soil's Scars have shit lyrics. But the singing is like Creed's frontman - pretty great.
What? Of course good lyrics are better than bad ones.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
i personally are all for the music. hey, a great album is all gibberish! ( ) by sigur ros. so yeah, music > lyrics, and melody over content when they're there.
It Could Be Sweet, Like A Long Forgotten Dream

Quote by MattDaviesFFAF
...let me (genuinely) congratulate you on posting the most interesting thread I've seen in an age.

Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The Monty Python Appreciation Society
...This poll makes no sense to me. Given the option, why would anyone choose a song with shit lyrics over a song with good lyrics? You should have made it a trade off: Good lyrics + shit vocal melodies or Shit lyrics + good vocal melodies. The way it is now seems to be pretty much asking if you prefer shit lyrics over good lyrics...and many people are agreeing

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Unless your listening to Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins, the lyrics mean nothing lol
love is love // return to dust
Quote by tancanada
Unless your listening to Pearl Jam or Smashing Pumpkins, the lyrics mean nothing lol

Pearl Jam have some of the most heartfelt lyrics i have ever heard, listen to Alive,Jeremy or Oceans, music noob

EDIT: damnit, sorry, didn't read that right,nevermind wha i said.
i used to believe that music meant more than lyrics. but ive changed my thinking a bit. ive learned that many influential songs have just been an acoustic guitar and vocals. however if a song has great lyrics, but the music sucks and the vocals suck..i wont really like it. i can still appreciate the meaning, but i wont listen to the song. some of my favorite songs are just gibberish as far as lyrics go. all in all, the song that makes you feel good are the best ones.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
...This poll makes no sense to me. Given the option, why would anyone choose a song with shit lyrics over a song with good lyrics? You should have made it a trade off: Good lyrics + shit vocal melodies or Shit lyrics + good vocal melodies. The way it is now seems to be pretty much asking if you prefer shit lyrics over good lyrics...and many people are agreeing

I was thinking of making it something lik that, but i really wanted to know whether or not the lyrics mattered at all to people.

and i'm with you on this! so many people are saying that they don't care what's said as long as the vocals sound cool. wouldn't people rather cool vocals and meaningful lyrics?

that said, more have gone the first option, but i'm still surprised so many have chosen the second.
english is my second language, so it's kinda hard to understand the lyrics if you are not paying attention so yeah...i prefer the voice.

EDIT:
obviously, i like good lyrics, like dream theater's ones
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Last edited by magnum1117 at Nov 2, 2008,
Coheed & Cambria.

Even if you hate Claudio Sanchezs voice you gotta give him props for his god damn awesome lyrics.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
The Mars Volta has awesome singing, but the lyrics in some songs are just retarded. Also Yes's Close To The Edge has a sweet vocal melody where the lyrics make no sense, but they've said in interviews that they were going for cool sounding sentences, and that the lyrics weren't supposed to make sense.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
well, it's hard to distinguish what is meaningful or not. I voted "meaningful lyrics" because it's all up to the listener, what the words, verses and such mean. One word repeated throughout the song can have a wide variety of meanings.
Quote by seljer
I was once listening to Amon Amarth and had to stop because the singer was being too articulate and I understood the lyrics and realised how shit they were

Runes to My Memory

I hope that's clear enough.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Rokeman
EDIT: Just imagine if Metallica's "One" had rubbish lyrics

"One" does have rubbish lyrics. Metallica lyrics in general flow poorly.

But I digress. I'm a big fan of good lyrics - Rush FTW! But I do value the composition itself more.

Fortunately, I know enough good music that I don't have to compromise on this one.
Quote by Flying Couch
"One" does have rubbish lyrics. Metallica lyrics in general flow poorly.

But I digress. I'm a big fan of good lyrics - Rush FTW! But I do value the composition itself more.

Fortunately, I know enough good music that I don't have to compromise on this one.

Personally, I'd say it has brilliant lyrics, but i guess that i aimed that one more at the Metallica fans... ok if you don't like Metallica, just imagine one of your favourite band's songs with good lyrics - without them!
I chose the second option just because it made me think of I am the Walrus.

koo-koo-kachoo!
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Shreded And Shreded And Shreded Shreded Shreded Andshredded And Shredding Wheat Shredded What Shredded Wheattttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I prefer meaningful lyrics, but if you want a good example of meaningless lyrics that add to the song, we ALL know wo to turn to.

AC/DC

Conversely speaking though, some of their songs are quite funny. Like Big Balls Innuendo is awesome
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Rokeman
Personally, I'd say it has brilliant lyrics, but i guess that i aimed that one more at the Metallica fans... ok if you don't like Metallica, just imagine one of your favourite band's songs with good lyrics - without them!

I like metallica but I find most of hetfields lyrics to be really poorly written....including One
Lyrics don't really matter to me. Vocal quality does though, if the singer sucks and the lyrics are amazing, the song sucks, if the lyrics make no sense or are just stupid as shit, but the singer sings them very well, I will probably enjoy the song.
Page 1 of 2