I recently purchased a Laney VC-15 Tube Amp, but the problem is im just a bedroom rocker and the amp is way too loud. I only ever have the volume on 1 or 2 at most. So i was thinking of trading it in for a quieter amp, i was thinking one of these (and maybe having a bit money left over for a wah pedal if im lucky ) :

http://guitarguitar.co.uk/amplification_detail.asp?stock=05081311221028

http://guitarguitar.co.uk/productdetail.asp?stock=07011011422828

http://guitarguitar.co.uk/productdetail.asp?stock=08020711403729

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers.
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco Sunburst
Laney VC-15
None of those sound as good as the VC-15, and you won't be able to crank them anyway.
What about the orange crush amps, i know there solid state but are they any better?
Laney VC-15
Quote by snell
What about the orange crush amps, i know there solid state but are they any better?

Not really. They sound similar to Marshall MGs.
The only you'd get good tone in your bedroom is if:

1. You got something like a 1/4 watt amp and cranked it.
2. You used a decent solid state (Not the Orange), or any other amp that sounds decent enough at low volumes.
Cheers.
i think i may just stick it out with the Laney Amp, because if i ever get good enough to play some live shows (which i doubt!!), i will be wanting the Laney amp back in a second
Laney VC-15
i've got the VC-15 and i didnt think it was too bad at lower volumes but of course the OCD probably factors into that a bit. seriously, with the drive volume on 1 i think thats a perfectly reasonable bedroom playing volume and i have it boosted with the OCD at that level anyway.

must admit it doesnt really start sounding awesome until you've got the volume up at around 8 or so, then it really starts to roar, i think 15 watts is a good size man, does quiet enough well enough and has enough there to let you jam with some drums (as long as you dont want a clean tone)
Quote by Horlicks
Not really. They sound similar to Marshall MGs.
The only you'd get good tone in your bedroom is if:

1. You got something like a 1/4 watt amp and cranked it.
2. You used a decent solid state (Not the Orange), or any other amp that sounds decent enough at low volumes.
3. Attenuator

If you're any good with a soldering iron you can build your own attenuator for under a tenner.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by snell
Cheers.
i think i may just stick it out with the Laney Amp, because if i ever get good enough to play some live shows (which i doubt!!), i will be wanting the Laney amp back in a second

Ok, I think the best bet for good tone with that Laney is to get a good replacement speaker ASAP. The stock one is very trebley and doesn't suit the amp at all. I got an Eminence Ragin' Cajun.
Quote by MrCarrot
3. Attenuator

If you're any good with a soldering iron you can build your own attenuator for under a tenner.

I didn't know if he'd be able to make an attenuator, I know I couldn't
Quote by Horlicks
Ok, I think the best bet for good tone with that Laney is to get a good replacement speaker ASAP. The stock one is very trebley and doesn't suit the amp at all. I got an Eminence Ragin' Cajun.

How much would those set me back in English Pound's??
Laney VC-15
Quote by snell
How much would those set me back in English Pound's??

£40, I'd say it's more than worth it though.
Why don't you keep the amp? If it's quiet enough on volume 1 or 2 then it's fine for bedroom practice, and then if you're ever in a band situation you can crank it up more.
Quote by AdamDK
Why don't you keep the amp? If it's quiet enough on volume 1 or 2 then it's fine for bedroom practice, and then if you're ever in a band situation you can crank it up more.
It probably goes quiet enough, the issue is the sound quality at that level.

hence, attenuator.A new speaker will improve tone but not necessarily fix the problem.
Quote by MrCarrot
It probably goes quiet enough, the issue is the sound quality at that level.

hence, attenuator.A new speaker will improve tone but not necessarily fix the problem.

I guess, but even an attenuator will still lower the sound quality a bit, and it lowers the valves life expectancy doesn't it?
Quote by AdamDK
I guess, but even an attenuator will still lower the sound quality a bit, and it lowers the valves life expectancy doesn't it?
Mine barely affects the sound quality, just lowers the treble a tad which is great for home practice. It lets me turn the amp up quite a lot to get a much better bedroom tone.

And people only say attenuators lower the life expectancy because most commercial ones have an attenuation knob so people tend to dime the amp and turn the attenuation down, and so have the amp cranked. WIth the fixed, low-power style of attenuator that you can build you just turn the amp up a few notches.
5-watts is still bloody loud if you crank them.

Check out the Valbee if you want a small tube amp with a load of gain. The distortion ain't the best you'll ever hear, but it's passable for bedroom practice plus it's got nice cleans and takes pedals well too.
Quote by Horlicks
None of those sound as good as the VC-15, and you won't be able to crank them anyway.

+1

i mean, unless you really hate the tone of the vc15 with the volume on 1, why not just use that?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
3. Attenuator

interesting. i might have to look into that at some point...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?