...But why can i not find a detailed elaborate guide on what people need to know in order to purchase the right kind of guitar suited for eachothers needs? I would like to see a well written guide here, and this website could use one.

for example, rockabilly or metal?
because its all personal preference. i believe that any guitar can be used for any type of music, with just a little modding. who's to say you can't throw a PAF or a EMG 81 into an ES-335? and i love an SG with P-90s. the guitar needs to fit you personally. there's not strict buyers guide, no checklist to mark off to find your perfect guitar. this site does have the best way to do it. ask us. you'll get some good suggestions to look at, but ultimately, it comes down to what you feel like. a million different guitars can be used to create the same basic sounds, but only you know what guitar feels right for you. so ask UG, what should i get? tell us your styles, influences, current amp, pedals, gigging?, price range, etc. etc. tell us everything you can about what you like, and we, the human element, can guide you towards a better buy.
well for starters its all objective. nobody can tell you what you will like for what kind of music. there are all kinds of resources for deciding what you want here you just need to look at the different factors seperately. first you pick the size and shape of the fretboard that feels most comfortable to you ie. scale length, string spacing at nut, fretboard radius, fret size, and bridge type (hardtail, tremolo, or double locking trem). theres forums for all those different factors to help you decide whats the best. after you find the comfort settings you like just find a guitar with those measurments that have the pickups you like. much to read about pickups here too. it takes a lot of research to cover all thats out there and anything you could find that claims to tell what you ask would either be a novels worth of text or excessively incomplete. and even at that its still a matter of personal taste. one more word of advice, you can play metal on a strat or jazz on a dean ML if thats what feels and sounds good to you, you dont have to defy convention like that but dont let conventional thought limit your selection.
Quote by MxIxTxS
...But why can i not find a detailed elaborate guide on what people need to know in order to purchase the right kind of guitar suited for eachothers needs? I would like to see a well written guide here, and this website could use one.

for example, rockabilly or metal?

Rockabilly would generally use anything from a Tele or a Strat to a Les Paul, to an acoustic. Metal depends on the subgenre - Iron Maiden are 'Heavy Metal' and use Fender Stratocasters (HSH), Black Sabbath cover Doom Metal to Heavy Metal and Tony Iommi uses Gibson SGs, most modern metal bands use Jackson, Ibanez, B.C. Rich and Dean. So you can't say that a particular guitar is perfect for a particular style or person, each person has different needs and different tastes.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
Rockabilly would generally use anything from a Tele or a Strat to a Les Paul, to an acoustic. Metal depends on the subgenre - Iron Maiden are 'Heavy Metal' and use Fender Stratocasters (HSH), Black Sabbath cover Doom Metal to Heavy Metal and Tony Iommi uses Gibson SGs, most modern metal bands use Jackson, Ibanez, B.C. Rich and Dean. So you can't say that a particular guitar is perfect for a particular style or person, each person has different needs and different tastes.

This.

I would look at les pauls, solid body gretsches, and HH telecasters.

And you need to have a extremely versatile amp, possibly 2 amps.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120