I want to know the answer to this once and for all as I've seen tons of different answers for this.

If you're playing a song in D would you use a D rooted mode ( D phrygian, D lydian, etc ) or would you use D's modes ( E dorian, F# Phrygian , etc )? Could someone explain this to me?
You would play a scale that resolves to D, the choices open to you depend on the chords. If you attempted to play any of D's relative modes you'd still just be playing in D major.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
as above said. ^^

Your song is in 'd'... the D rooted modes are not useful, since you resolve no D anyway, so therefore it is still just D major

The D modes ( D phrygian etc...) could be useful if you were playing in those modes anyway (The song would be in D phrygian, not D major)
If the song is in D major/minor, use the D major/minor scale. Modes don't factor into it at all. Asking this question suggests that you're trying to use modes without understanding the theory behind them. I suggest ignoring them and focusing on learning the major scale inside and out, in every key, everywhere on the fretboard, as well as the theory behind it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
As said, if you play Relative Modes to D over a D Major progression, your just going to sound like your outlining weaker tones, over D Major. Still playing in D Major.
Last edited by Galvanise69 at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
I suggest ignoring them and focusing on learning the major scale inside and out, in every key, everywhere on the fretboard, as well as the theory behind it.

Oh man, it's just too funny. You suggested sigging it once. I think you should!
Quote by mdc
Oh man, it's just too funny. You suggested sigging it once. I think you should!

I think that all threads with the word "mode" in the title should automatically link to that quote.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
If a song is in D it doesnt mean you can play D Phrygian or D lydian etc. The chords in the key will determine that. Thnk of chords also as modes and it is alot easier. For instance anytime you see a D7 chord think mixolydian.
Andy
Though all this beign said, you can alternate between lydian and major on the tonic chord, you can alternate between Dorian and Aeolian on the vi chord. ect. This is all determined on what else is in the song, what the other musicians are playing.
Quote by mdc
What's a mode?

a distinct method of operation within a computer program, in which the same user input can produce different results depending of the state of the computer
Si
^Ah yes, but Dave said it was to do with how you travel from one destination to another...
Quote by 20Tigers
a distinct method of operation within a computer program, in which the same user input can produce different results depending of the state of the computer

It's also the dutch word for fashion lol.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??