What does f-spaced mean? Some dimarzio's are F-Spaced and im not sure what that refers to.
Quote by zenabi916
What does f-spaced mean? Some dimarzio's are F-Spaced and im not sure what that refers to.

Originally, the pole pieces of bridge Humbuckers were spaced apart to fit the narrower, "Gibson" spacing of strings. And Fender, used a wider spacing on their single coils etc.

One day, somebody decided, it would be nice to start fitting Humbuckers in the Neck position, but the e strings were outside of the pole pieces which could cause sound probelms.

So, they came out with humbuckers with the wider spacing, to fit Fender style guitars.

Then, Floyd Rose came out with their bridge, which was also wide like the Fenders.

Because Fender and Floyd both begin with an "F", F Spaced became the term.
string spacing is 2 1/16" from first to sixth pole. it's slighty longer than regular spaced pickups. commonly used for double locking trem equipped guitars, fender guitars and hardtails with 43mm nut width.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
So if the bridge pickup is F-spaced then it should be used with a floyd rose bridge?
Yes, it even explains it on the dimarzio website

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
This is from dimarzio's website.

How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16 (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most import guitars with Tune-O-Matic style bridges take F-Spaced pickups too.
well, it really doesn't matter i think, because my pickup isn't F-Spaced, and it works just fine
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
so would an f spaced work on a les paul(bridge and neck)
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by stratsrule1990

No, they use regular spaced Humbuckers.
Quote by stratsrule1990

Gibson no (except some late 90's models) they use regular spaced. Epiphone and other import guitars with tune-o-matic bridges do take F-Spaced (or Trembucker) pickups.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 7, 2008,