My friend has an Ibanez GRG170DX, and he recently restringed it with 11 gauge strings. The bridge really didn't like it, and was at a (roughly) 70 degree angle.I saw the problem and detuned it till the bridge was at a sensible angle, but what can be done?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Underjoggle
Get a professional to set it up.

But we have a gig in two days and it's Sunday, and on Monday we're really busy. So we need a solution now!

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Loosen the springs?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Loosen the springs?

i'd say tighten them... if you put thicker strings on your guitar, you have to tighten the springs to compensate the bigger string tension
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Thx guys. I will try loosening or tightening it (it will become apparent which one).

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Think about it and read the Floyd Rose Guide on top of the page guys its very simple.

He has to tighten, if he loosens the claw screws the bridge will raise even higher.

String tension has to equal spring tension on a floating bridge to keep it level.

Thats all you need to know with floating bridges. Once you understand that its easy. Tighten the claw screws equally. If his bridge raised that high damn you must of gone from 9's to 11's then or something. 70 deg is quite a lot. Detune, tighten screws equally, retune, see where the bridge is at. If you need to tighten it more, detune and tighten it more. Will take a while, keep repeating and adjusting. If you're getting the claw close to the end with not much more room to go and bridge is still up then you'll need to add another spring. Simplest solution is go back to the strings and tuning he had on there before if you don't have time and do all this after the show. Good luck
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Think about it and read the Floyd Rose Guide on top of the page guys its very simple.

He has to tighten, if he loosens the claw screws the bridge will raise even higher.

String tension has to equal spring tension on a floating bridge to keep it level.

Thats all you need to know with floating bridges. Once you understand that its easy. Tighten the claw screws equally. If his bridge raised that high damn you must of gone from 9's to 11's then or something. 70 deg is quite a lot. Detune, tighten screws equally, retune, see where the bridge is at. If you need to tighten it more, detune and tighten it more. Will take a while, keep repeating and adjusting. If you're getting the claw close to the end with not much more room to go and bridge is still up then you'll need to add another spring. Simplest solution is go back to the strings and tuning he had on there before if you don't have time and do all this after the show. Good luck

It's not a floating tremolo. Anyways, its likely that you will have to add another tremolo spring.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
I never understood why some people will change something in their setup the day before a gig. But yeah, add a spring or just put strings back on it the gauge he had before.
Quote by Reds3031
It's not a floating tremolo. Anyways, its likely that you will have to add another tremolo spring.

Ahh sh*t my bad 95% of the time they have floating trems. I saw Ibanez and assumed but yea another spring is in order then or go back to gauge and tuning like before. Motto to live by before a show "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Yeah tighten the springs and if that doesnt work then add another one, if that make the bring go down but screws up your neck, truss rod adjustments will need to be made. If you want to play it safe, switch back to the other strings and then mess with this after the gig
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Turns out it's a different to what we thought. One half of the bridge (the one with the lower strings) is much higher than the other unless strings are loosened loads.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Scarlatto155
I reckon my guitar is dogdy then!

Andy?!

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright