I'm not sure how many Americans are going to be up and running at this time, but here's a question for the ones that are and anyone living in/has visited Houston, Texas.

I'm moving there in a couple of months from Norway, but I haven't lived there since I was 8 years old. What are the goods and bads? What are the to dos? What's it like in general there?

Much appreciated!
my cousin went twice in the last year. he stayed in a hotel next to a 14 lane freeway. you couldnt go anywhere/do anything.
his friend went for a run (hes into cross country) and got stopped by the police who asked him why he was running.

but im sure that was just that area.

edit: why america? its a ***********************, norway's much nicer.
Fattest city in America?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by ginjaninja
my cousin went twice in the last year. he stayed in a hotel next to a 14 lane freeway. you couldnt go anywhere/do anything.
his friend went for a run (hes into cross country) and got stopped by the police who asked him why he was running.

but im sure that was just that area.

edit: why america? its a ***********************, norway's much nicer.

Not my choice. I love it here in Norway, but I'm only 15 and my dad's getting re-transferred to the States.
I'm sorry that its Houston. But you can make the best of it.

Pros: big city, doesn't get boring, good university nearby (Rice), friendly towards immigrants (lots of immigrant population)

Cons: big city, pollution, Texas weather in the summer, very industrial, Texas drivers are known for being aggressive

I live in Austin, and its a great city. If you ever get a chance during the weekend, come down here to check out the great music venues.

Good luck with your transfer!
Quote by fnmpm
I'm sorry that its Houston. But you can make the best of it.

Pros: big city, doesn't get boring, good university nearby (Rice), friendly towards immigrants (lots of immigrant population)

Cons: big city, pollution, Texas weather in the summer, very industrial, Texas drivers are known for being aggressive

I live in Austin, and its a great city. If you ever get a chance during the weekend, come down here to check out the great music venues.

Good luck with your transfer!

I got family in Austin and they like it to. Thanks for help though. I'll try to make the best of it.
Yea the traffic is definatly terrible, and the humidity sucks, but there is a lot of stuff to do there.
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC
because maybe it'd revive me instantly
i just hope i don't come back black

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
stay in Norway.

The only good thing about Texas is that your backyard can also be your gunrange, but then of course this can also be a bad thing...
Quote by Tedward
stay in Norway.

The only good thing about Texas is that your backyard can also be your gunrange, but then of course this can also be a bad thing...

I don't have the freedom of choice. Which sucks nuts the size of Jupiter because I'm leaving all my friends and my girlfriend behind.
I lived in houston, hated it.

hot sticky, sucks. hot, sticky, sucks.

its a huge city, poor public transporation, and tbh I found it rather ugly.
Quote by black-sabbath
Fattest city in America?

ya... it's a sad fact... Texas is the fattest state in the fattest nation of the world

>_<

make me look good my comparison i suppose lol
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
ya... it's a sad fact... Texas is the fattest state in the fattest nation of the world

>_<

make me look good my comparison i suppose lol

australia has officially been the fattest nation in the world for a good 8 months now.
Why texas. George Bush lives there.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
my dad lives in houston, just got transferred there. He says its pretty nice.
I'll have to check it out myself, probably next summer or if i'm one of the crew flying there.
good luck with your transfer TS!
PS. Norway is an amazing country, and i'm not just saying that because my girlfriend is from there
I live in Sugarland (10 miles away from houston) its more suburbia/mall/rich folks though everything is close.
As for Houston the music scene is pretty good..not as good as Austin though from what i've heard. Yes traffic does suck though its actually easier to navigate around more than San Antonio. Its pretty dense too..Either you make the best of it or not!
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Custom Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

It's obvious I don't like fender at all

HORSE the BAND
Quote by Arism
my dad lives in houston, just got transferred there. He says its pretty nice.
I'll have to check it out myself, probably next summer or if i'm one of the crew flying there.
good luck with your transfer TS!
PS. Norway is an amazing country, and i'm not just saying that because my girlfriend is from there

Thanks man!

Quote by GravityRides
I live in Sugarland (10 miles away from houston) its more suburbia/mall/rich folks though everything is close. As for Houston the music scene is pretty good..not as good as Austin though from what i've heard. Yes traffic does suck though its actually easier to navigate around more than San Antonio. Its pretty dense too..Either you make the best of it or not!

I'd probably go to somewhere around Katie (sp?), but still, the music scene thing will be a bonus. We only get death metal here in Norway.
I live in Texas, and love it here. The big upside of Houston is that you get to see Insideous Decrepancy and Viral Load live! The two mutant spawn of mad genius Shawn Whitaker (sp?). When it's 75 degrees in February, and you have badass music outside your door, you'll be stoked that you live here!
I live in houston, inside the loop(in other words, I live in the actual city, not a suburb). If you do move to a suburb like Katy, its overall pretty nice, just like any other American suburb, if you know what thats like.

Pros:
Big city
Lots to do
Important stop for tours
Not a bad music scene
You'll get to meet me

Cons:
Weather sucks ass
Not a great music scene, Austin is better
Too much country music for my taste
Hot, Humid
Did I mention weather?

Because its such a big city, you'll be able to find any music you want. Sure there are a million country fans. But there are still a million rock fans.

When you arrive, PM me, I might be able to help you out, I have friends in Katy(and all over houston too... sort of...)

Also, on an interesting note, my school band is going to go play in Stavanger, Norway this summer.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Last edited by algemar at Nov 17, 2008,
LOL...I live in Houston. Ive lived in lots of places and keep coming back here. I like it a lot. It is HOT and it will take you time to get use to the heat in the late summer.

It is a city of over 4 million and most of them are NOT cowboys. It is a business city and full of people from abroad. There is a brand new skate park downtown, plenty of good music venues and lots of good local bands.

If you are still in high school and play guitar...we have an awesome high school here called Houstons High School for the Performing Arts. You should check it out and see if you could get in http://hspva.org/dhtml/

Sorry you have to leave your home and girlfriend...Im sure it is very hard!
I ****ing hate Houston.

Austin is much nicer, in my opinion.

Good luck, TS
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
I've been to Houston before. It mostly just seemed like an extension of Mexico.

STAY IN NORWAY!!!111!!111oneone!1eleven!
(just kidding, i'm fully away it's not your choice)
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Aren't like 66% of the people there obese?

Staaaay in Norway! You have been warned!

I think it's more actually. But thanks for all the help so far guys. I'm getting a hell of a lot more serious posts than I expected.
It's my kinda town, great party/music scene, and overall plenty to do.

You'll want to brush up on your Spanish though.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
It's as hot as anywhere else in Texas, except you get the moisture from the gulf too, which makes for very uncomfrotable weather in the summer. But other than that it's not too bad.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
i live in houston and its pretty good as far as music goes. Theres a lot of country music going on but you will find that anywhere in texas.Dont learn spanish just tell them that you dont need your lawn mowed and they will understand.
Used to live in Houston, weather's great I can't see why a lot of people are complaining about it....oh wait nevermind the humidity but then again I was raised in Harlingen which is like 4 1/2 hours south of Houston and it was much hotter there.

Pros: what most said above
Cons: I guess the weather for you and it seems that Mexicans are the majority there.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I lived in Houston for 5 years. Hated it.

If you live Downtown, or closer than I did to Downtown it will be better probably, because there will be more things to do...

I lived in Humble, on the NE side of Houston, and it was the most boring 5 years of my life.

As soon as I could get out, I did.
And I moved a thousand miles away.

Pros:
You can find good music scenes/venues.
There are some pretty cool things to do Downtown.

Cons:
Rains 364 days a year.
Humidity is 111%. Every day.
The heat + humidity makes it as close to hell as possible.
Can get pretty boring once you've seen everything.

Idk, you might like it. A lot of my friends that still live there do.
I just personally hated it.

Good luck.
PM me if you have questions or anything, I can still help you with directions/venue locations from Chicago. :P