I am finding it quite hard to play the B major chord; essentially my index finger is able to barre all of the second frets and my third and fourth fingers can reach the fourth fret, however my middle finger cannot manage to reach the fourth fret. So, to put it simply, my middle finger cannot stretch two frets when my index finger is barring.

Is there another way to play it or a way to make my middle finger capable of reaching the fourth fret?

Thanks in advance.
You need to improve your range of motion. Start off playing the same chord shape higher on the neck and gradually move down the neck until you can play it where you want with no discomfort. This will take time though so in the meantime you may want to play the double-barred version where you barre the 4th fret with either the third or fourth finger.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try double-barring it. I use my first finger for the 2nd fret and third finger for the 4th fret. I usually end up muting the high e string, but in most cases I don't think it really takes away anything from the chord.

EDIT: yeah what they said ^
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
practice, practice, practice... eventually you will be able to play any bar chord if you just keep working at it
Yes there is. However I am going to tell you what countless teachers have told students for many years:

Your fingers will reach. In beginning guitar, this is an absolute truth. In 6 months, you'll laugh at what you once thought was a physical limitation to your playing. It is VERY important to learn this chord shape, so keep trying the way you are doing it. You may also want to try some easy finger stretching exercises, nothing that causes pain.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You need to improve your range of motion. Start off playing the same chord shape higher on the neck and gradually move down the neck until you can play it where you want with no discomfort. This will take time though so in the meantime you may want to play the double-barred version where you barre the 4th fret with either the third or fourth finger.

+1

the problem with barre chords is that invariably the first ones you encounter will be F, F#, B or Bb -and unfortunately it's much harder to hold down a barre near the nut. You'll find it a lot easier to practice the technique around the 5th or 7th fret, you'll just have to spend some time learning the technique itself before you'll be able to learn a song that uses them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the advice.

I have been practicing playing the chord shape higher up, but I have encountered a problem. My fingers are larger than the frets higher up and it is very cramped when I place my fingers in the A chord shape position, making it quite hard for me to strum without it muting. Currently, barring on the fourth fret is the only position where my other fingers aren't that cramped; so I have been trying to practice on that, although it is still quite difficult.

Would you suggest trying it higher up still and getting used to my fingers being cramped, as I may need to use the chords in the future? If so, are there any tips so I can adjust to it?

Also, at MaXimuse: I am unsure how I am meant to play the riff, could you clarify it again please?

Thanks again.