When do you move your thumb behind the neck when playing lead, I need it above for doing bends and find it better for hammer/pulloffs but most of the scales and sweeps (especially when covering more than 4 frets) I put it directly behind the neck or I can't seem to reach....what about you?
well since i am about the greatest hendrix fan, and student og his playing style, i generally try to keep my thumb over the neck all the time. i think its way easier because then you dont have to move your wrist, from behind the neck and over the neck all the time.
I move my thumb between hooking it over the top of the neck to being immediately behind the neck, depending upon the technique used. TS, I think you are on the right track.
Quote by miniknielsen
well since i am about the greatest hendrix fan, and student og his playing style, i generally try to keep my thumb over the neck all the time. i think its way easier because then you dont have to move your wrist, from behind the neck and over the neck all the time.

Well, if you do that, it's straining your fingers, which is bad. You'd also be having a hard time reaching the high E string on the upper frets if you do that all the time.

I keep my thumb towards the middle of the neck, so my fingers can stretch a bit more and things.

EDIT: I put my thumb around the neck aswell, if I'm getting frets that are on the low strings, but on upper frets, butnormally I just go down the fretboard to the note, which is also good as it encourages learning the notes of the fret board and all that.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I just watched a Vai video and he is sometimes hooked over when doing his big bends and legato, then when he does one of his amazing runs his thumb goes right behind the neck. I guess he is a good guy to look at for technique!!