During my daily guitar session I'll tune down to play a track then tune up again for the next track perhaps, then down and up and so on.

I mostly (at the moment) play AC/DC, Kiss etc all of whom have tracks in different tunings - which I play along to.

I wouldn't want to play out in advance what I'm going to play - I prefer to just pick and choose.

Is it good for the guitar to be altering the tuning so often? What do you guys do? I guess the best solution would be to have two guitars?

thanks for your opinions!
Well I don't think it can be that bad since the robot guitars switch tuning alot.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
It's not really BAD for the guitar. It is, however, a hassle to get a guitar to stay in tune if you're constantly changing tuning. Tremelo bridges make this an even greater problem.

Here's the easiest way to break it down:

If you're room practicing, it's fine.

If you're gigging, multiple guitars is better.
I think it ages the strings a little faster, but otherwise it should be no problem -- I do this all the time.
all moving parts wear out, so u might wear out ur tuners and i think it could mess with ur neck a little. i dont think the neck will be a problem unless ur tuning from like drop c to standard back and forth a lot
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
beats the hell out of your high e and b strings, but no, it's not bad for your guitar. If you do it live though...get another guitar, or organize your sets.

frequently switching between open D and standard on my acoustic halves the life of my high e string.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
It's not really BAD for the guitar. It is, however, a hassle to get a guitar to stay in tune if you're constantly changing tuning. Tremelo bridges make this an even greater problem.

Here's the easiest way to break it down:

If you're room practicing, it's fine.

If you're gigging, multiple guitars is better.

+1...unless you have a robot.
UG's AC/DC Lover
You're better off getting a few guitars, even if they're just cheap ones (like Squier Affinitys, but they're really good after some modding) for all the different tunings: they'll already be set up and it saves you the hassle of tuning up and down.

Or you could get a Fender VG Strat, which has all the humbucker settings and acoustic settings you'll ever need, and the ability to change tunings when ever you want!

/trying to be a dodgy ad guy

But that would be if you have the money.
Cam Sampbell's my hero