Okay, so I've decdided its time after nearly 4 years to upgrade from my old squier strat.

I've decided on a tele, because I like to play indie kinda stuff, and a bit of blues and classic rock. I either play clean or with gain on about 2 or 3 but I still want a bit of punch and heaviness (heaviness as in a strong presence, rather than lost of gain). So I thought a tele would be good.

I went to a shop the other day, and I tried a Fender MIM and a Squier Classic Vibe, which the assistant recommended, although I have to say I wasn't impressed with it compared to the actual Fender one. It was more glassy and hollow sounding, whereas the Fender was brighter and fuller.

I also tried a Fender Lite Ash tele, although it was little too expensive in the shop, I've seen it cheaper elsewhere. Tbh, there wasn't much discernible difference between that and the MIM, at least not really £50. However, I hear it is meant to be better.

So, basically, can anyone advise me on the best telecaster for around £300 (I can strectch to 400 if I really need )?

How is the Lite Ash compared to the MIM?

Are there any other types/brands I should be looking at?
The Lite Ash is great, I own one. It sounds just like the ones that cost $1100. This is because they have Seymour Duncan pickups, which are easily the best overall pickup company
telecasters are wonderful guitars

check some fender japs, there a BIG step up from the mexi's and the americans are an even BIGGER step up, i saved up and got a USA and every time i look at and play my beloved bundle of joy that is my USA telecaster i cry tears of joy inside, well not that much but i love it beyond belief, they really do kick some serious butt

also check out the indie guitar companies telecasters, i own one of there rickenbacker copies and its amaxzingly good for £350 there teles are pretty good, absolutly spank the fender mexicos
Quote by Alec Tricity
The Lite Ash is great, I own one. It sounds just like the ones that cost $1100. This is because they have Seymour Duncan pickups, which are easily the best overall pickup company

no, dimarzio's are definitely better
i really like my nashville tele. you should try that out. if you can go a little bit more expensive i'd say try to deluxe telecaster FMT. it has humbuckers in it so you could get good distortion out of it but it has a coil tap to make it sound more like a traditional single coiled tele.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by mfkr
+1
Why put this in riffs+recordings

wtf! I thought I did. I guess I just came here absent mindedly, I used to automatically go straight to R&R

Can a mod move this please?