alright i have done enough research to be pretty confident to make my first from scratch build. but i have a few questions for all you guys that make a guitar a week.

first- can i get a template for the neck pocket? that is one area that scares me. lol unless i do neck through but i do not wanna spend that much on the neck wood.

second- how do i calculate where to put the bridge based on scale of neck, and is the scale of neck the only thing that matters on where i put it?

thanks
stew mac has a calculator so you can locate the position of everything
and i would say do a neck through. its not that exspensive, just ask LP addict for some wood, he sells it cheap.

good luck
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
stew mac has a calculator so you can locate the position of everything
and i would say do a neck through. its not that exspensive, just ask LP addict for some wood, he sells it cheap.

good luck

i can just walk to the lumber yard. ha thanks for the help
Quote by yanko693
first- can i get a template for the neck pocket? that is one area that scares me. lol unless i do neck through but i do not wanna spend that much on the neck wood.
Make your own template based on the heel of your neck, since you are building it from scratch there wont be a template to match your custom design, unless of course you are copyin another guitar spec for spec.

and NEVER skimp on wood, pay the extra for a neck through if you want a neck through.

Quote by yanko693

second- how do i calculate where to put the bridge based on scale of neck, and is the scale of neck the only thing that matters on where i put it?
What scale length are you choosing for your build? If you are choosing 25.5" then the bridge has to be 25.5" from the nut...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i believe stewmac sells neck pocket templates.

nut to 12th fret=half of scale length
12th fret to bridge=other half.

http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator <<<use that.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
well i think i will just get a pre done finger board. i lack the proper tools to do it right. so i now have all the info i need.

and when you say 12th to bridge do i meauser to where the string meets saddle?