i currently have a fender frontman 212 and am looking for a stack amp for grunge. I need a good tube amp that can make good sounds. I was thinking about the Peavey valveking or a randall half stack. what should i get and will these do it with a good sound?

Edit: i hate marshall amps
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Nov 2, 2008,
Do you gig? Also, stacks are for people who play stadiums, a 30 watt valve amp will be more than enough, specially if the venue mics your amp up, in which case you'll have it even lower. So a combo would probably be more suitable.
Quote by minibrowny
Do you gig? Also, stacks are for people who play stadiums, a 30 watt valve amp will be more than enough, specially if the venue mics your amp up, in which case you'll have it even lower. So a combo would probably be more suitable.

i gig. and yes i already own a 100 watt combo (solid state). i'm just looking for a better sound, so i'm upgrading to a tube amp.

any suggestions?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Definetly get a combo unless you play relatively big gigs, otherwise stacks are a waste of money. The Valveking 112 would be good and probably sufficiently powerful for you.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
I like Fender heads. They are pretty awesome.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

well grunge doesnt really have a specific sound. i mean, it does, but its not like every grunge band sounds the same. if all you play is grunge then maybe something like a VK would be pretty good for you. plus what's your budget?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by CullenT
i gig. and yes i already own a 100 watt combo (solid state). i'm just looking for a better sound, so i'm upgrading to a tube amp.

any suggestions?

tube amps are also way louder.

Maybe look at a peavey classic 30 or 50

maybe a mesa boogie. A fender.

Grunge is what you make it, just like punk, you can have any tone you want. As long as you like it. So the best plan would be to go try out a bunch of amps.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
(Directed at everyone whose posted) I know that grunge is what you make it, although it seems to me mids are the key. So i need something that can handle a heavy, overdriven, middle eq'd sound. Valveking combo? Peavy 30 or 50?

My budget will be up to 1000. I'll be running a fender mustang with a little 59er and a JB jr in it most likely

EDIT: I was also thinking a used orange combo if i can get one
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Nov 2, 2008,
the orange will work as well. Forget the valveking, your budget allows a way nicer amp.

Look at laneys, you can probably get a used mesa boogie that'll fit your needs.

And just for shits and giggles, try out some more marshalls. You might find one you like.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
what grunge band, because pearl jam doesnt sound the same as nirvana,foofighters etc.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Orange Rocker 30 gets a nice thick, grungey OD
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I say peavey 5150 or a used JCM900 that will get you a really nice distorted sound.
Quote by marvelboy_04
what grunge band, because pearl jam doesnt sound the same as nirvana,foofighters etc.

they don't, but their tone is similar. And it doesn't matter. Because grunge tone is subjective, it's whatever you want. We're just steering him in the direction of good sounding valves with enough power.

He shouldn't straight up buy anything because we told him to, We're making suggestions on what he should go try out.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Marshall JCM800 half stack.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
peavey windsor or vtm, orange rocker 30, used budda superdrive
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by al112987
What exactly don't you like about Marshalls?

never been able to be satisfied with the tone.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
never been able to be satisfied with the tone.

Anything more specific because british voiced el-34 based amps, Orange, Marshalls, etc. all have similar voicings (early breakup, raunchy power amp drive, and a lot of mids) and any problems with Marshall's tone, you may have with Orange or similar.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Anything more specific because british voiced el-34 based amps, Orange, Marshalls, etc. all have similar voicings (early breakup, raunchy power amp drive, and a lot of mids) and any problems with Marshall's tone, you may have with Orange or similar.

I've played orange amps and liked them. I haven't had problems with any other british voiced amps. Marshalls just get to me. But i'm pretty much willing to try anything, so i may have to put aside my hate if it gets me the tone i want.

can you suggest me some others?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
right....

you all say grunge doesnt have a particular tone, but im guessing your talking about that saturated, loose sound nirvana was famous for - also silver chair, mudhoney, sound garden, stone temple pilots... they all have a similar sound.

a lot of grungfe acts used extremely clean fender valve amps with various distortion pedals. Boss ds-1 ds-2 were popular grunge pedals, so was the proco rat and rat 2.

fuzz pedals feature prominantly in grunge too... fuzz face etc (smashing pumpkins on the neck pick up)

good luck

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
a lot of grunge bands play distortion pedals through relatively clean amps. a big muff/boss ds1 and tubescreamer would sound thick as hell through any fender tube amp.

EDIT: dammit, someone beat me to it... well ill just back up his point
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
a lot of grunge bands play distortion pedals through relatively clean amps. a big muff/boss ds1 and tubescreamer would sound thick as hell through any fender tube amp.

EDIT: dammit, someone beat me to it... well ill just back up his point

ha ha!

yeah, people these days are so into pre amp tube gain that they forget that some of the best and thickest heavy sounds were created on a single channel fender with a distortion pedal.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
get the orange rocker, its miles better than the valveking.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by hippyheaven1
ha ha!

yeah, people these days are so into pre amp tube gain that they forget that some of the best and thickest heavy sounds were created on a single channel fender with a distortion pedal.

It's just my opinion, but I really think that method sounds like shit. Even if Kurt Cobain did that, I certainly would not call Nirvana's tone "some of the best sounds."
^

TS - could you maybe give us some specific bands or songs that you like the tone of?

Heavy mids and distortion is pretty broad, and defining grunge is always a headache.
Quote by guitar/bass76
^

TS - could you maybe give us some specific bands or songs that you like the tone of?

Heavy mids and distortion is pretty broad, and defining grunge is always a headache.

Obviously, since I'm in to grunge the necessities are

Nirvana (who would've guessed?)
Soundgarden
Mudhoney
Melvins
Mad Season
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Alice In Chains
Sown (www.myspace.com/sownband check them out!)

the list goes on. Thick, overdriven, mid sound that isn't too trebly (I HATE TOO MUCH TREBLE) or too bassy
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
well, i have a valveking halfstack (i get spoiled on christmas) and ill tell you that im not a fan of its overdrive channel. however a distortion pedal (mine: digitech ex7 on metal zone setting.) can make it sound amazing becasue the bright switch on the clean gives a ton of edge. that setup never lets me down with nirvana alice in chains or even heavier stuff like megadeth. and of course you get the awesome clean channel
I'd say that stock, a VK is certainly muddy enough to satisfy grunge needs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??