Hi,
I am planning to get my first Electric Guitar. I have a budget of $300.

I was hoping to get one of those value packs because they give you an amp and other stuff.. but I am really not so familiar with how they are, i.e if they are good or not.,,.

I would like your help in choosing the best guitar.

I had a look at a value pack of the:-
1. Ibanez IJX40 Electric Guitar Jumpstart Package - $249.99
2. Squier by Fender Stop Dreaming, Start Playing Affinity Special Strat Pack With Fender Frontman 15G Amp - $249.99
3. Yamaha GigMaker EG Electric Guitar Pack - $249.99

Feel free to suggest any other guitar..
Don't. Just... do yourself a favor and erase squier off of that list. Some ppl say they're OKAY, but I think they're terrible. Ibanez is decent. Idk about that very guitar, but they're usually decent, and I'm not too familiar with Yamaha. Go to Musicians Friend, or GC's website and read reviews. Try them out in person. Then decide.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

The Ibanez looks to be the best. But if you are playing metal, get a fixed bridge to make alternate tunings easier.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Dont get any value pack guitar. They really arent any good, AT ALL.

What kinda stuff do you like to play?
Heres possibly the best thing to do;
Try and find a USED Mexican Fender Stratocaster. So damn versatile it'll be great for anything you wanna play, and i'd avise getting a Roland Cube 30 as the amp. Go used, try find it cheap as possible.
I wont be able to try them out in person. I am in Tanzania, Africa and I will probably be ordering them.
I would like a guitar which I can play some decent distortion on... not so familiar with the distortion thing...
The question is how good are you? If you're a beginner, both the ibanez and yamaha packs are good enough. They are cheap, known to be bargains and you can replace the pickups if you want later. If you are of the average or above average capability, then you can buy a slightly better guitar and amp. But then again, if you're buying this for your personal pleasure (meaning not for public performances or any major recordings) both are good. Make sure you get some guitar service from the companies (meaning there are service centres/decent dealerships) in your state/country/city............................
I am a begginer.. oh.. well getting them serviced might be a problem.. then...
Have you looked at anything in the Epiphone line? They have a couple packs that are great for a beginner. You don't need something really fancy when you are just starting out. I have a little cousin that just started guitar lessons and is using their SG starter pack. It sounds great for a beginner's set. Of course there are better things out there, but you're going to have to put in a lot more money. Both the Les Paul and the SG are quite versatile. I don't think you can go wrong here because you get EVERYTHING you need to start. Anyhow...

Might I recommend one of these? Take a look... just my two cents.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-and-Amp-Pack?sku=513150
I suggest the Squier Pack, that's how I got started. I've upgraded to a better amp since then, but I still have the guitar. It's a great starter pack.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Could you also explain how is the distortion thing included ???.. my cousin had a guitar which had inbuilt distortion, he just flicked some switch which caused the distortion to come on. It was a "GIVSON" not Gibson ... :P
You're going to get distortion from your amp. Most amps that come in a starter pack are going to have just two channels: "Clean" and "Dirty". Your distortion is going to come from the dirty channel in one of these amps.
Quote by m4l666
The Ibanez looks to be the best. But if you are playing metal, get a fixed bridge to make alternate tunings easier.

You can tune easily on that Ibanez. It doesn't have a Floyd Rose.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I still hold true to my previous advice. Any amp you get from one of those packs will have sterile cleans and horrible, fuzzy distortion. Pretty much any amp with a button you push for distortion will suck.
I got the Squier Affinity Strat. Really nice guitar. The Standard Strat is quite bad though, don't go with that.

I've tried a cheap Yamaha Pacifica and from what I can remember, it's felt horrible to play.

Also, as others have suggested, don't go with the starter packs. The amps you get in them are horrible.

I say spend more money on your amp then your guitar. A friend has a Epi Les Paul Gothic (just under £200 over here) and I heard it through a expensive Marshall (can't remember the model) and it sounded really good. But I've also heard the guitar through a cheap amp and it sounded crap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the Ibanez package.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Weenie_Beenie
I got the Squier Affinity Strat. Really nice guitar. The Standard Strat is quite bad though, don't go with that.

I've tried a cheap Yamaha Pacifica and from what I can remember, it's felt horrible to play.

Also, as others have suggested, don't go with the starter packs. The amps you get in them are horrible.

I say spend more money on your amp then your guitar. A friend has a Epi Les Paul Gothic (just under £200 over here) and I heard it through a expensive Marshall (can't remember the model) and it sounded really good. But I've also heard the guitar through a cheap amp and it sounded crap.

Have you just said that the affinity series of squier is better than the standard series which has alnico pickups a 22 fret neck and a 2 point pivot floating trem and in very basic terms is £80 more than the affinity series? Or worse have you just said that the affinity squier is better than a fender stratocaster?

Or did you miss spell ibanez? Also the pacifica's have great quality control and nice features such as a humbucker in the bridge increasing versitility.

I'd personally recommend the Yamaha Pacifica or the SG package earlier.

Either way your a little off the mark.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Weenie_Beenie
Isn't the affinity line the lowest you can go?
Quote by Tallyho
Isn't the affinity line the lowest you can go?

No Bullet Strat = the only squier that can't be rescued with a good setup and a bit of luck.

Am i just being facetious for picking that guy up on this?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1, except i'd go for the pacifica 112 rather than the 012.

This one? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar-511077-i1146648.gc

I didn't realize that was a pacifica as well, i just posted the one that had pacifica in the name haha.
Quote by Madsalty
No Bullet Strat = the only squier that can't be rescued with a good setup and a bit of luck.

Well that's kind of a given. The bullet is like, a mini-guitar. I dont even consider it a real instrument.
Quote by Tallyho
This one? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar-511077-i1146648.gc

I didn't realize that was a pacifica as well, i just posted the one that had pacifica in the name haha.

Yup that's last years model still a good guitar. Not as good as the new ones which have coil taps built in however still a great buy for the money tbh.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
Have you just said that the affinity series of squier is better than the standard series which has alnico pickups a 22 fret neck and a 2 point pivot floating trem and in very basic terms is £80 more than the affinity series? Or worse have you just said that the affinity squier is better than a fender stratocaster?

Or did you miss spell ibanez? Also the pacifica's have great quality control and nice features such as a humbucker in the bridge increasing versitility.

I'd personally recommend the Yamaha Pacifica or the SG package earlier.

Either way your a little off the mark.

From my experience, yes I believe the Affinity is better than the Standard. I've played on a friends Standard and after 10 minutes of playing I wanted to put it down whereas with both mine and a another friends affinity strat, I can just keep on playing for hours.

And yes, I mean the Squier Standard, I've played a Fender Standard and I really liked it.

Maybe my experience with Squier Strats aren't the "norm" but for me, I love my Affinity and hated my friends Standard.

As for the Pacifica, like I said, it was a cheap one. I know there a good ones out there.
Quote by Weenie_Beenie
From my experience, yes I believe the Affinity is better than the Standard. I've played on a friends Standard and after 10 minutes of playing I wanted to put it down whereas with both mine and a another friends affinity strat, I can just keep on playing for hours.

And yes, I mean the Squier Standard, I've played a Fender Standard and I really liked it.

Maybe my experience with Squier Strats aren't the "norm" but for me, I love my Affinity and hated my friends Standard.

As for the Pacifica, like I said, it was a cheap one. I know there a good ones out there.

That's fair enough as long as you are basing that on your personal experience. It's such a shame really because the standard is a far better guitar on the whole. The standard series has alot of better features and generally the quality control is far better than the affinity series. You are far more likely to get a better quality standard than an affinity and through a good amp the difference made by the better pick-ups is very noticeable. I'm guessing your friends standard is set-up worse than your affinity but for the sakes of this thread it would be advisable for this budget to recommend a standard as opposed to affinity.

mad

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I didn't know there was a Squier Standard Strat, I assumed that "Standard" means the mexican strat. I have one of those Affinity Squier's and also a Fender Standard (mexican). From my experience so far with both of them and also my friend's guitar, I can pretty much easily say that if I buy another guitar in the future, I will get one that has quality hardware on it from the bridge to the nut to the tuners and all that, I'm not cheaping out on a guitar again.

I definitely think though that depending on the setup, a guitar can definitely play differently.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Do me a favour and dont get an Ibanez Jumpstart, my mate has one and it feels like playing plastic, get a cort, or a squier IMO. and then get a reasonable 10w amp
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by Madsalty
Yup that's last years model still a good guitar. Not as good as the new ones which have coil taps built in however still a great buy for the money tbh.

yeah. if you can get the new v version, you might as well, apart from anything if you ever sell it on, you might get a little more back on it (assuming another new version hasn't been released it the meantime )... plus you might as well have the coil tap, it's a handy feature.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tallyho
I still hold true to my previous advice. Any amp you get from one of those packs will have sterile cleans and horrible, fuzzy distortion. Pretty much any amp with a button you push for distortion will suck.

True that may be, but since he's only just starting, I doubt he'd be able to tell the difference yet. Down the line, maybe, but with the budget he has, a starter pack may be a economical decision.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i dunno, i mean he says he has a $300 budget... you can get a yamaha pacifica 112 for $200, and a microcube is $130, i think. If you ask me it's worth another $30 (when you're already spending $300) to get something which is good rather than something which is shite.

obviously you'd need to buy a lead, strap and picks, but you can pick those up for about $10...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Dean Vendetta 1. They're about $210 on Musician's Friend and you can get a decent practice amp for another $100. That was the first guitar I got around a year and a half ago and it's the one I use now. For an entry level guitar, it's surprisingly good and I actually checked the reviews on it on MF today just for fun to see what people said and as far as I went into them, every review said the guitar is good. I think I read the first 10-15. Check for yourself on there. You won't be disappointed with that guitar, especially for the price.
Quote by Snake™
Get the Ibanez package.

I got that the IJX 40
why cause it was either that or the behringer, the cost of getting the Ibanez package imported here was going over $800, so I decided to get the Ibanez instead.
Last edited by footytz at Dec 31, 2008,