17 28%
Open tunings
1 2%
Minor open tuning
1 2%
Other craaazy tuning
1 2%
Voters: 60.
Well earlier today I was trying to learn some metal songs but not one of them was in standard tunings! Am I the only one who refuses to play in a tuning that requires me to change more than one string (Drop D)? And so this post has some meaning I added a poll of favorite tunings!
eh, I just retune all the guitars in Guitar Pro to drop D and play along

riffs are riffs
I used to play in GCGCGCE for some SYL stuff, but i generally dont play others songs now. I was totally lost with it too, nothing sounded good. Do you mean actual tunings like the one i mentioned above or must just drop d but dropped 1 step, i.e CGCFAD?

I play all my own stuff in CGCFAD, I keep the high end and tautness with the strings but acquire a beefy low end, add in a 7th string for GCGCFAD and its even better
Xbox Live Gamertag: AndrewTanner87
you can download audacity and change the overall pitch of the song to fit your tuning... i dont retune my guitar, i retune the songs! :P
Quote by Andrew Tanner
I used to play in GCGCGCE for some SYL stuff, but i generally dont play others songs now. I was totally lost with it too, nothing sounded good. Do you mean actual tunings like the one i mentioned above or must just drop d but dropped 1 step, i.e CGCFAD?

Really any tuning that isn't standard or drop D, I don't even like tuning down at all.
Quote by xJuan91x
you can download audacity and change the overall pitch of the song to fit your tuning... i dont retune my guitar, i retune the songs! :P

I assume that makes the vocals sound hurrendous?
Quote by Viking_Panda
Really any tuning that isn't standard or drop D, I don't even like tuning down at all.

Suppose it depends on your guitar, my 7 string is ideal for drop tuning, some fat arse strings allow it to go to AEADFB no problem. Cant imagine the same would apply on something designed for standard tuning. Give it a go, get some thicker strings.
thats a really convincing female voice, scary :/ somebody did the same with matt bellamy but it only required like a step and a half to have him sound like gwen steffani.
I don't like going outside of standard or drop personally, but i occasionally set up my epi in something else just for S&G's
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Dropped D is my favorite. I have my other two guitars in Drop B and Open C Major for some Hevy Devy, and my Bass is in Drop D.
I usually keep my guitar in Standard. I only change tuning if a song I'm learning is in a different tuning but then tune it back up when I'm finished.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by Killedelphia19
Oh.. My. God.
someone needs to do that audacity thing to chocolate rain!!!!!

lower the pitch or higher?
Drop tuning for me, I really like Drop C. I also like detuning down to B and playing some Amon Amarth.

Open tunings for blues and slide.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by ccam555
Imho, anything under drop D is just wankery.

Agreed

some Drop C is good (Stricken by Disturbed and Bed of Razors by CoB come to mind)

but everything else is just... blah

specially Drop A, thats stupid
Quote by xJuan91x
Agreed

some Drop C is good (Stricken by Disturbed and Bed of Razors by CoB come to mind)

but everything else is just... blah

specially Drop A, thats stupid

With the exception of Nile.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

i usually have my electric in drop d or standard since i play metallica and the such but i tune my acoustics tuned to drop c because i just like playing it on an acoustic rather than electric. it sounds nicer when you play a metal song acoustic.