What are the differences between rosewood, maple, etc fretboards? Do they affect the sound at all or do they just effect the feel of them?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
They do have an effect. It's like body wood, maple will give you a brighter tone, which is why it is on a lot of Strats. Ebony of course will give it a darker tone, which is great for rock and rhythm, which is why it's on Les Pauls.

Also, as you asked, the feel is different on each of them. I'm really not too knowledgeable on the tonal qualities of these woods on the fingerboard other than the basics really.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
The tone is affected only slightly (honestly, I can't hear the difference), but the guitars attack is influenced quite a lot by the fretboard wood. Maple and Ebony give a brighter sound, rosewood a darker, warmer sound (once again, that's a subtle difference). Also, maple and Ebony will give you faster attack, rosewood's attack is a bit slower, which is quite noticable.
But honestly, feel is the most important factor here.
I really see no difference in the tone. feel, now that's different. I love the feel of Ebony compared to the other two.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Colgate Total
They do have an effect. It's like body wood, maple will give you a brighter tone, which is why it is on a lot of Strats. Ebony of course will give it a darker tone, which is great for rock and rhythm, which is why it's on Les Pauls.

Also, as you asked, the feel is different on each of them. I'm really not too knowledgeable on the tonal qualities of these woods on the fingerboard other than the basics really.

I lol'd. I have an ebony neck guitar, it's insulting to myself and others who own guitars with ebony necks to call the rosewood Gibson uses ebony.

Anyway, they have a slight effect on tone, but I barely notice it tbh. The feel is incredibly different though, maple is slicker and faster in my experience, second only to ebony. Rosewood is cheapest though and is decent, hence why it's widely used. Also worth noting is a maple fretboard is going to be a lot more expensive to get fret wear on fixed, as you have to get it refinished in addition to refretting, compared to just refretting on other guitars.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Gibson only uses Ebony on White Eplorers don't they? otherwise its all Rosewood...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
oh, thanks everyone
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Colgate Total

wrong. Ebony is the brightest of them all as it's extremely hard and dense.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oh, the fretboards on all my guitars are rosewood
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Skynyrd890
Gibson only uses Ebony on White Eplorers don't they? otherwise its all Rosewood...

they use ebony on a lot of custom shop guitars, and special edition guitars
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
COMPLETELY unrelated, but there was just a HILARIOUS ad on here that played an anti palin song.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
well while we are talking about unrelated crap, check out my sig video

baracknroll
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Hmm, I dont see how the fretboard wood would change the speed of your attack noticeably enough to hear it. And, im not sure if the slickness of the wood wouldnt change anything, i mean, do you even touch the fretboard, and not just the strings? I would say that fretboard is more about looks and a tiny bit tonal qualities. Ebony looks the best and I like the tonal qualities of it in a metal oriented guitar, but you cant beat rosewood for a LP...
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
why isnt maple as commonly used as the other two?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
becase it's not traditionally used.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
becase it's not traditionally used.

thats it? no other reasons like flaws in it? I only see it used on fender guitars.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Pretty much.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
leo fender used maple fretboards because he wanted to save guitrists the stress and expense of replacing a fret board from a neck if the frets became worn, so he made the fretboard and neck all one thing made of maple so you could just buy an entirely new neck/fretboard for cheaper and easier to replace which is why fender also use mainly bolt on necks.

this was the origianl reason.

maple also tends to have a brighter sound, for example, country music would be good on a maple neck.
rosewood is quite soft in comparison so delivers and warmer thicker sound
and ebony is rock solid so it delivers a brighter clearer harsher sound but looks aweseom
so I wouldnt want a maple neck for playing grunge, modern rock, and punk?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Black-Metal
leo fender used maple fretboards because he wanted to save guitrists the stress and expense of replacing a fret board from a neck if the frets became worn, so he made the fretboard and neck all one thing made of maple so you could just buy an entirely new neck/fretboard for cheaper and easier to replace which is why fender also use mainly bolt on necks.

this was the origianl reason.

maple also tends to have a brighter sound, for example, country music would be good on a maple neck.
rosewood is quite soft in comparison so delivers and warmer thicker sound
and ebony is rock solid so it delivers a brighter clearer harsher sound but looks aweseom

no, that's wrong. He just didn't want to pay for the Rosewood more likely. A re-fret isn't that hard. Also, the bolt on neck is because he originally did it somewhat like a car, which has easily swappable parts.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
no, that's wrong. He just didn't want to pay for the Rosewood more likely. A re-fret isn't that hard. Also, the bolt on neck is because he originally did it somewhat like a car, which has easily swappable parts.

Ill go with your answer seeing as I see you a lot more on the forums
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
so I wouldnt want a maple neck for playing grunge, modern rock, and punk?

you really don't notice the difference between the tones. its just how long the wood will last. ebony and maple (usually its coated/laminated) last longer than rosewood, but rosewood feels really awesome and smooth(in my opinion of course)