it's very possible, but you'll need a really thin A-string. something along the lines with 0,08 or even 0,07
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
that was acualy the original idea for the seven string. uli roth and steve vai and even george lynch all tried it and all found that the high a was prone to breaking verry often to the strings thinness.
them strings will not work, i have tried it with 9s and the only way it works is if you detune for that set up.

you will need eather a 6 or 7
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
[lowest to highest]

E
A
D
G
B
E
A

Or am I just dreaming a dream that I can't possibly fulfill?

Marshall Harrison has a Conklin custom that's 3/4 size and tuned that way but on a standard 7 it's not really practical; Steve Vai tried it for a while back during the Passion and Warfare days but decided all the string breaks weren't worth the hassle.

Edit: De-tuning and then adding the high string would work a lot better, I know the guys in Mithras tune that way; they used to play 6s tuned to A# but then got 7s and just added an extra high string rather than the low string that most other people would use. I'm not saying you should go that low but tuning down to at least D standard would be a good idea.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
aye.. your A string would be so thing and under so much tension.. it seems unlikely to be of any practical use.

^^ the guy above me, his idea would probably be feasible.

detuning to maybe D or C# and then adding the high string would likely work.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Adding a high A is now possible with 0.006 strings

you can get them here

http://www.octave4plus.com

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Maybe you could get away with it if you used a .08 for the high E? I dunno.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Further to my earlier post, the Marshall Harrison Conklin in action:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Au7HrjV6Q
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What about a pretty short-scale guitar? Like just 22 inches?

Other than that, I'm with the guys saying downtune a little. I currently have a .9 (I think) tuned to the G just below the A you're going for on my guitar. Been there about 6 weeks and it's fine.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
With a short-scale or fan-fretted design, yes, it's very possible. Other than the aforementioned short scale guitar Conklin made Marshall Harrison, they've also made a few fan-fretted 7s and 8s with high-A strings. They're not the only guys that have done it either.
It wouldn't really be practical on a standard-scale guitar though.