Alright, I'll be upgrading from an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and an Epiphone Studio 10S amp to a new guitar and amp for Christmas. Problem is, I have no idea what to get.

My total budget is $2,000 for both the guitar and amp. I play Metal, mainly Neo-Classical and Thrash, so It'll need a fast neck. I've narrowed it down to a Jackson, Ibanez, Dean, or ESP. HH config is preffered, but I'll go with HSH if I can figure out how to keep my pick from hitting the single-coil.

help~
Take out Dean from that list.

You should definitely check out something with an H-S-S configuration. That way, when you use the neck, it won't get all muddy with the gain you will be using.

I recommend:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=511668

and

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Thunder-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481597
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Will a combination of the two be able to handle both low-gain and high-gain songs? I wasn't aware single coils were any good for High-gain stuff, I always thought of them as low-gain pickups.

Also, what is a Bridge-pickup used for? I have a vague idea, but I hardly use mine. It loses some if its aggressiveness, and becomes muddy sounding. People use it for rythym, but my bridge pickup sounds like ass with distortion but isn't too bad in achieving the "woman tone" that Clapton uses.

Baisically, what I'm asking is: Will my bridge pickup sound like shit? Are Single Coils good for high-distortion songs( megadeth, Pantera, Death, etc.)? And will I have to change out the pickups, or are these a good set of stock pickups?
Quote by V.U.K
Will a combination of the two be able to handle both low-gain and high-gain songs? I wasn't aware single coils were any good for High-gain stuff, I always thought of them as low-gain pickups.

Also, what is a Bridge-pickup used for? I have a vague idea, but I hardly use mine. It loses some if its aggressiveness, and becomes muddy sounding. People use it for rythym, but my bridge pickup sounds like ass with distortion but isn't too bad in achieving the "woman tone" that Clapton uses.

Baisically, what I'm asking is: Will my bridge pickup sound like shit? Are Single Coils good for high-distortion songs( megadeth, Pantera, Death, etc.)? And will I have to change out the pickups, or are these a good set of stock pickups?

The bridge pickup is the pickup that most people use. It's the one closer to the bridge. I doubt you hardly use yours if you play metal.

Single coils and high gain are fine. In fact I find them better for retaining clarity in high gain situations.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Ok traditionally the bridge pickup is the highest out put of the lot. It is supposed to be used to induce high gain lead tones.

The jackson above will do this.

X
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
A combination should be fine, I know that Paul Gilbert uses a combination, I don't know about how single coils are for distortion though, haven't used one for a few years!
The bridge pickup is mainly for lead stuff, basically you get better reception in higher frequencies, whereas the neck pickup gives you a warmer, rounded tone.
Also, I think you've got your bridge and neck pickups mixed up, the bridge one is the lower one, where the neck one is the one next to the neck!
I know which pickup is the bridge pickup, I guess my bridge pickup is just a crappy one. Not surprising, considering it's a $150 guitar. I'll check out my local music store for one, hopefully they have it.