I'll keep it short - Guitar or bass, can't choose. Like looks of bass, its generelly cool, sound of guitar is good, whichevver I'lll get il be playing on my own at home...really can't decide.............Guitar may suit me better cuz I could recreate songs I cud sing along to, bass not so much, but wenever I think of 1 my mind wanders 2 the other....Also only will be learning by myself... So gutiar would be better cuz there are more guitar lesson sites than bass.

Sorry 4 grammar..
Last edited by slipknotrawr at Nov 2, 2008,
Well my personal pref would be guitar since there's not alot of bass riffs that I know of that sound great without a drum and/or guitar to go along with it... but that's my personal opinion, it's your call in the end :P
So gutiar would be better cuz there are more guitar lesson sites than bass.

So... what's your point?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
get a bass dude you can still write stuff to it and sing along plus they sound way better than guitars (no offence guitarsits)
i say guitar. you can buy a beginner guitar at a pawn shop for about $120, there are more styles of guitar to play depending on what music you listen to, you can be more versatile with it, you can impress friends with learning riffs to famous songs, guitar strings are way cheaper then bass strings, you can have a lot of fun with guitar, you can definatly go farther with guitars (seriously have you ever heard of world famous bass players who are famous for skills not the band they are in or hear of bass players doing solo albums), if you learn to play guitar you can ussually play bass easier, i can go on forever but its up to you and what you want to do really
Frankly that's going to be a personal choice. We can get into discussion after discussion about the virtues and drawbacks of each, but ultimately it depends on what you like. Go to a music shop or two and try as many of both as you can. Let the sales staff know that you're trying to make up your mind so they can show you some solid starter instruments. Basicly it comes down to what you like more. There isn't anyone who can tell you "you should do this or that" because they aren't the ones who are going to sit down and play it for hours upon hours.

Also, to srvkicks@$$: How about Jaco Pastorious, Cliff Burton, Geezer Butler, Les Claypool, or Flea? They're pretty damn well known for their skills. Don't knock bass or bassists just because you don't know either.

-Edit- Also, Jaco has several solo albums and Les recently started a project of his own that features Buckethead (Col. Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains Band, very cool listen). Plenty of bassists go beyond the 3 root note stereotype. Educate yourself.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Nov 2, 2008,
garou1911 you make a point but unless you are in the guitar and bass realm cliff burton is known by few ppl and those who know him think hes just the bassist for metallica not neccessarily known for his great solos, and jaco although talented was never at the top of the charts super celebrity like many guitarists have been and relly is not remembered in rock history like he should be, and butler well most ppl associate black sabbath with ozzy and iommi so he was never known for a legend he should be since he was dwarfed by the other 2 in later years, flea is known for the red hot chili peppers not his skills...only claypool is known for his legendary skill and like i said when you dont play guitar and bass or read into the history of old metal bands the only bass players you hear of are the ones in your favorite bands like
so really many werent known for skill and for regular ppl they are not even known like many guiatar players
bass players canhave all the skill in the world but when it comes down to it guitarists get the fame
besides there are way more guiatarists that have skill then bass and for every great bassist there are like three great guitarists
Start with guitar. After you can play a bit of stuff on Guitar (e.g. read TAB and play it good) then you can move to bass.
The bottom line is money,
Nobody gives a f***.
4000 hungry children die per hour,
From starvation,
While billions spent on bombs,
Create death showers.
^What 'people' are you reffering to? And who cares if pop culture thinks you're great? There are just as many unrecognized, extremely talented guitarists who never 'made it' but who still earn respect and admiration with their talents. That's a fairly closed minded view of music.

you can definatly go farther with guitars (seriously have you ever heard of world famous bass players who are famous for skills not the band they are in or hear of bass players doing solo albums), if you learn to play guitar you can ussually play bass easier

Have you ever played bass? Like for more then a few minutes? There are tons of techniques you can delve into just like guitar, only different. And to say that bass is easier is flat-out ignorant. Sure, you can bang out 3 root notes and make sounds that aren't horrific, but to be really skilled takes just as much time and talent as guitar. The strings are harder to fret, the various techniques take a ton of hand stregnth, and there's just as much room for improvisation. Also, just because there are more 'great guitarists' that you've heard of doesn't mean there aren't just as many great bassists.

Look, I don't want to start a flame here, you make a couple points about how "people" view it, IMHO I prefer considering a musician's point of view. Fame means jack. It all depends on what the music calls for and what your ear likes.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Last edited by Garou1911 at Nov 2, 2008,
Easiest answer in the world: Both

Start on guitar so you can get the basics of how these kinds of instruments work, learn to read tab, etc.
Then, after you've gotten the hang of guitar, save up and get a bass, learning bass is easier after you've learned guitar, because you already know how it works.

That's what I did.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Play the flute. No conflict there
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Oh but then there's the choice between flute and a piccolo... or even a clarinet or bass clarinet.
Quote by erikkuhikari
Oh but then there's the choice between flute and a piccolo... or even a clarinet or bass clarinet.

How bout electric bass flute with a distortion pedal?

-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Who says you can't write songs on bass? I love bass chords and actually prefer playing chord progressions on bass. Has a fuller sound.
Oh, forgot something. Your personalty will best dictate the right instrument. If you're a self absorbed ass; play guitar. If no one pays attention to you and girls spit on you as you pass by; play bass. But if you're an alchoholic and find yourself passing out in public restrooms consider drums. Try a banjo or bassjo instead.
Both. Guitar has the "Hey look at me!" feel to it, though. Buy one, play it for a while, and if you hate it, try the other. You have a 50/50 chance to get it right the first time, also. S