I'm playing a solo acoustic set November 21. Half my set is gonna be covers the rest originals. I get a half hour set but I don't have to play that long if I don't want to. The covers I'm doing are

Bob Marley-Redemption Song

The Briggs-Oblivion

Street Dogs-Final Transmission

Operation Ivy-Knowledge

Jonny Cash-I Won't back down

Billy Bragg-To have and to have not

The originals are in my profile if you wanna check them out. These are the ones I'm playing.

Streets of damnation

Stand together

and three others that aren't in my profile.

Anyways I wanna know how to keep the crowd entertained, because this is my first gig so I'm a little nervous. Tips or advice appreciated. peace...
With an irresistible blend of reggae induced hip-hop and catchy pop-punk hooks, Half Chance Heroes captivates audiences with their unique sound and energetic stage show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bSU0u8uvM
Adopt a fake French accent and pretend to have an alter ego named Murray. That will keep people entertained.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Take off an article of clothing in between every other song, and if somebody comments on it dump an ashtray in their hair. I think that's gotta be the definition of entertaining.
Both of those ideas are great.

I'd make jokes about the Conservative party being into CP and other depraved sexual acts.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Both of those ideas are great.

I'd make jokes about the Conservative party being into CP and other depraved sexual acts.

This thread has potential.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
pull some lenny bruce type shit on people you can clearly see.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
I've done two of these, and both times I was slightly nervous. It's much harder to do things solo than in a band. Basically, just be prepared. If you're not getting the songs played through completely without having to think about them when you practice, then you're not ready to play the show yet. If you think "ehh, I only messed up a little, and I'll get it right at the show" then you probably won't get it right.

Of course, I messed up a few songs the first time I played, and messed up one the second time I played, but nobody noticed because they were originals and I just kept on with it without missing a beat. If you forget the words, sing one of the other verses you do remember. Then maybe by time you get to the other one, you will remember the one you forgot and can just switch it out. Otherwise, just sing it twice... nobody will even realize it.

Doing a solo acoustic set is kind of weird because people just sit around staring at you while you play. Especially if you're new and they don't know your songs. Just because people don't look that into it doesn't mean they don't like it, so don't take it personally.
Quote by opivy21
Take off an article of clothing in between every other song, and if somebody comments on it dump an ashtray in their hair. I think that's gotta be the definition of entertaining.

Jack my swag
Quote by Descendent-182
^Thanks man that was the only helpful reply. peace...

Hey! Nothing's wrong with stage antics!
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by gopherthegreat

Quote by Descendent-182

Anyways, another thing... you can explain the songs you wrote if you want, but if nobody is listening to you as you do, stop... sometimes the crowd will care what your song means... other times they just want you to shut up and play music. It'll be pretty obvious which kind of crowd you're playing for.
Quote by Descendent-182

Why thank you.

Jack my swag
Quote by Descendent-182

You want to be 'the boring acoustic guy' or 'the hilarious acoustic guy who can really pull a crowd!"

The choice is yours.
get people to strum your chords while you fret
or give people shakers and tambourines
audience participation FTW!
In the same way that you should never give a young child a plastic bag, you should NEVER give a punk a tambourine.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
In the same way that you should never give a young child a plastic bag, you should NEVER give a punk a tambourine.

But drunken hilarity would ensue.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by BrianApocalypse

To TS, just let it flow naturally. If it helps, wear sunglasses and just close your eyes so you can't see the crowd. There was a stand up comedian that used to do this (his name slips me at the moment). Don't worry about everyone there, just let what happens happen
that comedian was Mitch Hedberg, great guy. pretty good comedian.

and I'm in the same boat TS, I have this on the 15th. I'll probably play some Bowie covers and some bob marley, along with some incomprehensible jam about pissing on a police car...
haha, not even 15 minutes of material there, and I gotta play on and off all day.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
No sunglasses indoors man. You'll just end up looking like Matt Skiba, which in turn means you'll look like a giant douche bag.
I feel like the floor of a taxi cab.
Sunglasses indoors is totally okay, IMO.

Are you playing in Red Deer, or another city?
Isn't "I won't back down" by cash actually a cover of a Tom Petty song? So you're doing a cover of a cover? Cool shit.

I'm playing in red deer
Quote by RiotRiotUpstart
Isn't "I won't back down" by cash actually a cover of a Tom Petty song? So you're doing a cover of a cover? Cool shit.

Yeah I know but clash has a way better version
With an irresistible blend of reggae induced hip-hop and catchy pop-punk hooks, Half Chance Heroes captivates audiences with their unique sound and energetic stage show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bSU0u8uvM
I've done it before. Except I completely made-up the best song i've ever written on the spot. It's called "David Bowie Is In My Basement (And He Won't Get Out)".
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Quote by Descendent-182

Yeah I know but clash has a way better version

The Joe Strummer version of Redemtion Song is way better than Bob Marley´s, it´s genious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRwmZ2bp_B0

but still redemtion song is a great choice
I think both versions suck.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
I think both versions suck.

While I respect your opinion, I strongly disagree with it.

While I don't respect your opinion, I really don't give a flying ****
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
As much as I don't respect Rizzo's opinion, as he is a true gentleman of the new school, I agree with his opinion.

Redemption song sucks. Bob Marley and his religious overtones suck.