I've been checking out some OD pedals lately and then I noticed that the mxr ten band eq had a gain slider...If I had the gain on full on my amp and then boosted the gain slider on the EQ would it act as an OD and add more gain?!? Also would it tighten it up like an OD would?

Amp is undecided at the moment - thinking of a traynor ycs50, jcm900, mesa f-50 and others.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
It would act as a boost, definitley. But It wouldn't add any tonal characteristics of a real boost pedal, and it would also boost any sliders you had adjusted more or less according to what EQ you have it set to.
Yeah, because an EQ cuts or boosts freq's. If you pushed up the gain, and pushed up all the sliders, you'd just have a gain boost.
alright so it would add more gain, thats good. would it tighten it up though, I'm thinking it wouldn't cause its not really gonna change the sound, but you never know.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
You could push the front end of your amp harder and up the mids to make it like a lead boost. It'll give you more preamp gain and give you volume boost, but you won't get the compression that many boost pedals offer so it won't really tighten things up much.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You could push the front end of your amp harder and up the mids to make it like a lead boost. It'll give you more preamp gain and give you volume boost, but you won't get the compression that many boost pedals offer so it won't really tighten things up much.

Thanks, well I guess I still could try it out, but I would really like to tighten up the sound with an OD so the EQ would best be saved for later
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by Kevin Saale

+1

The preamp gain will just make it sound louder, you may get some mild clipping, but probably nothing more than that.

The compression and additional gain from a dedicated overdrive or distortion pedal would be more of what you'd be looking for. If you're depending on your eq to give you a clipped or distorted sound, you probably could do it, but then it'd sound weak, and you'd sacrifice all ability to shape your tone. That leads us to the situation where you'd be ask why introduce a eq pedal for distortion when a distortion pedal'll do the job better.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Yes.
That would work.

Would it be as good?
Ehhhh.... no.
Depends, sometimes it's better - it just depends on the gear you have and what your requirements are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com