Does building muscle help with playing guitar a little bit. I mean arms muscle and fore arm muscle. So basically what im asking does lifting weights help?
my guitar is pretty heavy..i always thought squating would make it a bit easier to play while standing for a long time.
I think the simple answer to your question is : Yngwie Malmsteen

I'm not sure though, it might make a bit of difference with holding the guitar. I know being fit makes it slightly easier to play though

Edit: And I think when your playing guitar you only use your wrist and fingers so I doubt it would make a difference. Being fit and healthy makes a difference to everything though
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Last edited by mitch311 at Nov 2, 2008,
I'm pretty sure it does the opposite, or so I've been told.

I weight lift, and I started when I was playing guitar.

I've noticed no change.
Most guitarists I have seen aren't very big. If you're working out to improve health - excellent.
If you're working out to improve guitar playing you'd be better off spending the time practicing on the guitar.
Si
Lulz....have you seen the ppl who shred guitars? I wouldnt say their in the best shape. Lifting weights isn't going to do you much good.
Quote by RockAddict311
Lulz....have you seen the ppl who shred guitars? I wouldnt say their in the best shape. Lifting weights isn't going to do you much good.

John Petrucci completely negates your post.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
John Petrucci is simply good, not good because he's ripped. Lifting weights has little benefit because what you're doing has nothing to do with playing guitar, guitar isn't about strength, it's about dexterity and accuracy.

Obviously it helps to be healthy...playing live for 2 1/2 hours is pretty exhausting unless you're an Oasis member. However the best way to build the stamina required for playing for extended periods is to play the guitar...nothing else is going to exercise the correct bits of your body in the right way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's been scientifically proven that beating your wife builds muscles and goes a long way towrds building a healthy relationship.
I lift on a consistent basis and have been for over 3 years now. I am in pretty good shape if I do say so. I've now been playing guitar for 6 months. I can't really say if it does but what I have noticed is on day's when I work out my arms or shoulders heavily I become tired alot quicker. Yes i know I shouldn't have been using my shoulder or arm really just wrist, but my muscle are already fatigued and I can't play as long also seems as if I am tighter and not a loose.

Now I take days off, sometimes like 3-4 days if I need the break, and during those days usually my best playing comes out. I feel so loose and relaxed, no tension prior to playing, but my physical shape and well being is just to important to me to be able to say that I shouldn't workout anymore cause it is hurting my guitar playing.

But like most have said, most guitarists are not in shape at all, of course you do have some, but most are skinny little guys.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes, but only if you're working the muscles used when you play. Situps aren't going to improve your sweep picking.

+1
having toned muscles in your forearms and hands will be the most benefit. ironically the best way to work out the muscles you use while playing guitar is to play guitar.
yeah it does something.. after I lift, guitar feels super light and my grip is stronger, but it's only after I lift
Quote by z4twenny
ironically the best way to work out the muscles you use while playing guitar is to play guitar.
No, irony would be me getting quite ill and missing all of my biology lectures on the immune system my freshman year.
have any of you seen paul gilbert's arms
or should i say twigs
im pretty weight lifting doesnt help that much
coordination and dexterity are definitely bigger factors
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
i remember back in HS i used to lift
but i never played guitar after because my fingers were stiff from lifting

although my friend does this exercise to increase pinky freedom and dexterity
he does the star trek, live long prosper thing
and he slowly moves his ring finger over to his middle and index without moving the pinky

i cant really do it tbh
seems like it would work though
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
I would say that forearm exercises would help you. I started to lift again and I always try and get a forearm workout in, even thought virtually every exercise builds forearms.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

I don't think it helps. I mean, a person who is strong who has been working out for some time can bench press 200 lbs, maybe more. Compare this to the amount of pressure needed to fret a string. Totally different kind of strength.
Most of what's needed for playing well is accuracy - the kind of control and muscle memory needed to use just the right amount of pressure and no more, even when you are in the middle of playing something hard. The only times I've felt that my hands where tired, it went away when I practiced what I was playing more.
Also, if you do work out, I'd spend extra time before your guitar practice stretching - especially the muscles down the inside of your forearm, as these could get tight from the lifting.
I lift weights on a regular basis, and practice about an hour afterwards.

Becuase I got the blood flowing in my muscles by working out, it almost serves for me to skip my warm up regimine.

Usually I will have to warm up (by going through master of puppets and Disposable heores straight) before I play. After lifting weights, however, I don't have to do this. Maybe its just me!
okay no joke i asked the same question once and my response was masterbation is the best. You get used to the buring in your arm that way
I SAW YOUR MOMMY AND YOUR MOMMYS DEAD
^ you must have asked the question in the pit. i still say playing guitar is the best.
lifting weights don't do much, basically when not playing the guitar always stretch ur fingers and/or squeeze a soft ball on each hand make sure arms are straight and fingers go all the way back and fourth, you will feel the burn in ur forearm, and stretching ur fingers, forearm, whole arm(See john petrucci rock discipline dvd)

it helps, but having big arms dont do much for you
flexabliity, stamina, accuracy, technique, speed
All Chris Broderick does is workout and play guitar and now look at him. Guitarist of Megadeth. *_*
Quote by profmcnasty
All Chris Broderick does is workout and play guitar and now look at him. Guitarist of Megadeth. *_*

Yes, and one has absolutely no bearing on the other.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com