I haven't heard many good things about SX guitars, dunno about their basses though.
no man id stay away from that, if your a rock guy, look at some ESP LTD's , you can find one in that price range that suits your style and is overall a better bass
I'm looking at my SX right now...I got one of the last fretless P's they had. The fit-and-finish of the thing is amazing for the price. I can safely say that it matches my father's MIM Jazz.

That said, the factory definitely pushes a lot of instruments through, and there are definitely some that QC misses. If you get one, the guy that does customer service(Kurt) has an excellent reputation and should be willing to help.

About the bass itself, I think full-scale jags neck-dive a bit, but otherwise it should sound like a Jazz. Most SX's have thicker necks than the Fender counterparts, but they're not unmanageable at all. (though I do have fairly large hands)
Nope, no sig here.
Get a real Fender Jaguar Bass.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
^Im kinda short on money I have 500 (us dollars) for a bass and a giggable amp.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Ah I see.

Try a Squier Jazz or P-Bass
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I don't see the problem with it...what's the deal guys? These thing have a rather large following, even with very experienced players.

edit: And how many of you have actually played one?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 2, 2008,
I bought one of the P Basses they sell, and after a set up, it plays amazing in my opinion. Every member of my band, has complimented me on how nice the bass plays and sounds. And these are guys that have played the same bass Mastodon used to record on and have been in the band scene for a while. I love my Sx. It'll definately be my main bass for a while to come now.
hmmm...

I present to you the humanity starter pack, as endorsed by the humanity.

seen here V
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
My friend has the P + J SX bass. Awkward feeling neck, but better and more comfy than my BC Rich. The wood is stained almost to an ugly orange... but overall, it pretty decent.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
The_Humanity knows whats good.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
EDIT: ^CNC knows what's up.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
My friend has the P + J SX bass. Awkward feeling neck, but better and more comfy than my BC Rich. The wood is stained almost to an ugly orange... but overall, it pretty decent.

not to be rude, but the only neck that doesn't feel worse than a BC Rich one is Dean.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by Mutant Corn
I don't see the problem with it...what's the deal guys? These thing have a rather large following, even with very experienced players.

Yea on TalkBass but not on this forum

To threadstarter: I'd reccomend a VM or CV Squier
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by Mutant Corn

I have. they suck. they are awful things. I will tell you why if you insist. or you can see the thread. it explains it out to you.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity

not to be rude, but the only neck that doesn't feel worse than a BC Rich one is Dean.

Ouch
Looks sadly at own guitar...
Dean's not too bad...
maybe...

I'm leaving now...
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
Ouch
Looks sadly at own guitar...
Dean's not too bad...
maybe...

I'm leaving now...

hey, at least you aren't being spoiled
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

It's no Lakland, for sure, but the thing is better than any squier the TS is going to get short of a VM. Even then, it depends on which factory was having a good day. I honestly don't understand why there's such a strong opposition to these. They sound just fine, and the necks, thick though they may be, generally aren't any bigger than your average P bass. Is it the orange necks?

Besides, where else can he get a Jag like that within his budget?
Nope, no sig here.
^ that's very true. Also, though I've never played an SX, I can tell you they have a reputation for S*** electronics but quite decent wood. The "following among experienced players" a few people have mentioned is as a project bass, for reasons I just stated.

I'd get it. Have it set up professionally. Later you can upgrade the pickups, and end up with a quite decent instrument.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by the humanity
hey, at least you aren't being spoiled

True, true...
It's almost time for a new one, though. First basses don't need to be good, they just need to play.
I have:

Quote by samskii
True, true...
It's almost time for a new one, though. First basses don't need to be good, they just need to play.

my opinion is to get the best sounding and feeling one available to you. in all situations. even if you are only spending 250, why waste it on a lesser instrument? if you can get a better one for you, why not?

no matter your budget, you don't want to just screw around with your money. you want to sound perfect.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
my opinion is to get the best sounding and feeling one available to you. in all situations. even if you are only spending 250, why waste it on a lesser instrument? if you can get a better one for you, why not?

no matter your budget, you don't want to just screw around with your money. you want to sound perfect.

Tis what i meant. Just that it doesn't need to be perfect. But why get a Civic when you can afford a Corvette?
I have:

Quote by samskii
Tis what i meant. Just that it doesn't need to be perfect. But why get a Civic when you can afford a Corvette?

or a dean when you can afford an Ibanez?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ i didn't buy my guitar. But yeah, that works. I think a fender would be even better...

Editskii: I do like the Ibanez, and it is very well priced. Plus, it has a sweet name!
I have:

Last edited by samskii at Nov 4, 2008,
DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE JAGUARS! and that one looks the shit...
ohh, you just made me raid the sofa for pennies...
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria