Ok. I've been playing acoustic guitar for maybe 6 months or so. I've been wanting an electric guitar since its more my style of music, and with christmas and my birthday comin up, i might be able to get like $300 USD total. I was set on getting an electric and trying to pick one, but then i thought of bass... I've been looking up my favorite songs on bass and my friend plays bass, and i've just been looking at a lot of stuff on it, and im starting to want one. I mean i already have a guitar (although its kinda hard to play hard rock with it cuz its acoustic haha) and if i get a bass then i can decide which i like more.

Thing is, i don't know anything about basses or bass amps.

I know what amps and guitars are good in my price range for electric, but know absolutely nothing about bass.

Could you recommend me a good bass guitar and a good bass amp that would total to under $300 or $350?

Also, maybe yall could just tell me general about bass? I really just don't know much about it. I dont even know what i like about it, i guess just the whole idea haha.

Thanks for any help
There's a FAQ for a reason. You can find info, starter basses, and amps there.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
If you take guitar lessons and know chords, scales, etc, then this will help you a lot with bass.

Next : You need a bass and and amp because you play acoustic and don't have an amp, and even if you did : don't EVER play bass through a guitar amp because it might break it !

I suggest a value pack because it has an amp, bass, and some more helpful and nice junk.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Artcore-Ser-Hollowbody-without-Tremolo?sku=519527

The bass here is a GSR which has P and J pickups which will let you get a variety of tones (you can get many different sounds). The amp while i have had no experience with, seems pretty nice and not too bad for a beginner amp. Hope i helped, bye
can yall tel me what kind of pickups are good for what music? i hav NOOO idea what p and j means haha. and are bass starter packs bad like guitar. I know for guitar in starter packs, the amps always suck, and so do the guitars usually. What kind of stuff do you want in an amp. With amp do you need distortion or what. I really know NOTHING haha. thanks for the help tho
no such thing as good in that price range for both. youre looking at one of the cheapest amps and one of the cheapest basses for sale on the open market to hit that price range.
PS im thinking of a three letter word that starts with J and rhymes with job. not quite sure why...
and for the dude who said job, im 13. cant get one. ANYWHERE. I honestly have no way of making money except christmas and ma bday in january. I just sold guitar hero (god you feel like such an idiot when you play that small plastic guitar with 5 colored buttons lol).

With the guitar hero money, and my christmas and bday money, i'll be at around $300 or $350.

I know i cant get a "good" bass, but i mean good for the price range.
Quote by nathanlamb
can yall tel me what kind of pickups are good for what music? i hav NOOO idea what p and j means haha. and are bass starter packs bad like guitar. I know for guitar in starter packs, the amps always suck, and so do the guitars usually. What kind of stuff do you want in an amp. With amp do you need distortion or what. I really know NOTHING haha. thanks for the help tho

P and J means it has Jazz Pickups and Percision pickups which means you can get any sound from this bass from Jazz to Hard Rock. And its true that some packs suck, but Ibanez is a trusted good company, i used to have this pack and it is great, the amp is good, and personally imho, distortion on a bass is not really necessary, you would sound much better with a clean sound, even if your guitarist is playing the biggest drive rig ever, but eventually you could buy a distortion pedal which won't set you back much, but trust me i don't think you will want it after you play the bass
For your price range, i think a squire standard jazz and the cheapest amp you can find, the jazz plays ok and every once in a while youl get one that sounds very good. Also, start listening to a wider range of music( maybe you al ready do) the more different types the more versatile bass lines...
good luck
is the jazz one only good for jazz haha. Or does it sound good for like green day, three days grace, general rock and punk stuff like that?
no jazz basses are very versatile they cover a huge range of possible tones. put for punk a precision basses are used a lot.
if you can wrangle a little more, go for the below. it is win. pure and utter win.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I don't have much to add for gear, but i do have one gear point and a general bass point:

Gear: Most beginning bassists start with a crap bass. I did, many of the (much) more experienced players here did, it's just the way it is. And it gives you a reason to anticipate a new and better instrument later.

Generally: Bass is really fun, but can be frustrating. I started on piano, got a bass, and my brother (a guitarist) taught me some basic stuff. It is hard to get used to the strings, long frets, etc. My brother sometimes plays bass in his band, and he plays fine, but not like i(in my more bass-oriented fashion) would. So as a guitarist, you will have to learn some things over to be a "good" bassist. But guitar experience will help, just not always.

Sorry, that turned into a wall of text. Bass-icly (lol), if you get a cheap starter set and like it, you can invest when you have the cash. If you don't like it after all, not much lost. But i bet you will like it.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
squier vintage modified series is highly regarded around here as a starter bass as is the ibanez gsr200. try them both if you can. I'd take the ibanez myself but then again I play an Ibanez so I'm probably biased.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
the vintage modified is too much, and like i said, i really cant get any more money unless i save for another year. How good is the http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...fier?sku=481622 amp? would that amp and the ibanez be a good starter bundle?
Well your gonna have to try them both out. There is no reason why you can't play both, it may just mean saving up a bit.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!