I am thinking about changing the tuners(the heads) on my Epiphone G400 to give them that Gibson look. I found some Les Paul tuner heads and I was wondering if these would work.
Don't. The tuners on there are great. If it's just the look you're going for, you can buy replacement tuner buttons for cheap.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My G-400 has Grovers on it, which are better than the stock "Gibson Deluxe" ones. In fact, I might do a transplant from my G-400 to my Gibson.
gonna jump in here to ask a question and save forumspace

im cleaning a junk mockingbird and it needs new machineheads
do i have to get specific ones
or are most universal fit
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
^ you just gotta know the size of the holes. grab a caliper, and you'll be set. sometimes google will tell you the size, and save some time.

?) ... yar?
------

Shwiggity.
? ) indeed.

All you have to do to find out if thigs will fit is measure them.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I did a similar thing on my Epi LP recently and removed the stock grovers (I saw somebody saying the stock ones are not as good as the aftermarket grovers - dunno if this is really the case)and replaced them with branded Kluson ones.

If those are the ones you are on about, then you may have to drill extra little holes for the mounting screws. The Kluson bushings will also fall unless you have the tuner itself screwed in - the Epi post holes are a bit larger than the Gibby ones possibly - but once they are all installed, and before you put the strings on, they all fit fine with not rattles or anything. You can get hold of adapter bushings - I have not bothered yet, but I may look into them in the future.

Be sure to take your time and do lots of measuring + checking to see if they are all straight etc before drilling any additional holes.

I got away with keeping the existing holes for 5 of them but had to drill both holes for my A string tuner.

Once installed and strung under tension, one of the tuners developed a bit of a fault. not a problem though - quick email and I had a warranty replacement (all 6 and they didn't want the old ones back!!) delivered within a week or so.

For me, they work better the the old ones - and look better. Lots of people seem to hate them though - best to go and try some first

EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
All I'm basically going for is look. Are there any gibson-looking buttons that will work on grovers?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You don't just change the tuner heads. Change the whole thing.

then why pray tell are the buttons removable?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Oh no I've seen them at... guitarpartsresource, stewmac I think.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yeup, you should notice a little screw on the end of each button.

If |I remember correctly, this is actually to adjust the tension of the tuning gear but you can just take the whole 'kidney bean' thing off.

Dunno if this is what the guys above are on about http://www.wdmusic.com/grover_replacement_tuner_buttons.html
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
Yeup, you should notice a little screw on the end of each button.

If |I remember correctly, this is actually to adjust the tension of the tuning gear but you can just take the whole 'kidney bean' thing off.

Dunno if this is what the guys above are on about http://www.wdmusic.com/grover_replacement_tuner_buttons.html

exactly.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
oic what you mean

Yeah, that works fine.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by epiphonesg94
http://cgi.ebay.com/KEYSTONE-BUTTONS-FOR-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-KLUSON-TUNERS-ES_W0QQitemZ360098582932QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

would these work? Read the instructions on how to put them on. That seems like it could work.

No it wouldn't. They have to be the correct type, and those aren't it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Ok. Another question. On my G400, I want to paint the pickguard. How would I go about doing this and with a design?
Spray paint for plastic.

Krylon fusion, for example. To do design, stencil it, or... I don't really know.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Spray paint for plastic.

Krylon fusion, for example. To do design, stencil it, or... I don't really know.

This will work. I painted the pickguard on my Explorer with Krylon Fusion paint and it turned out fine. Follow the instructions on the paint can and prep the surface properly. I also put several coats of clear coat on mine. It's been almost a year and it sill looks like it did the day I painted it. And I play my Explorer almost everyday.
No primer. The Krylon Fusion instructions say for new surfaces quickly wipe over surface with standard paint thinner. For aged surfaces wipe surface with an ammonia based cleaner before painting. My pickguard was old so I wiped it with window cleaner (w/ammonia) and then painted it and followed it with the clear.
Yeah, no primer needed because the paint forms a molecular bond with the plastic or something...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^Yes indeedy do!

Krylon works ossem, i used it on my P Bass mod... i'd reccommend sanding the surface down with ~400 grit paper for a little material adhesion as well.
------

Shwiggity.