I got a MIM 72 Telecaster Deluxe today! $600 used off craigslist. The bridge pickup was replaced with a Seymour Duncan Phat-Cat P-90.

The problem is that the neck humbucker sounds too muddy. I've heard of people saying that a 500k pot would fix this. I've also heard of people doing other stuff to the wiring. What other neck humbucker would go well with this tele?

Does anyone have any opinions on how to mod the guitar to get a better tone?
If I put a real humbucker, like a SD jazz, or kept the original, would I still have to replace the audio pots? What about the audio pots for the phat cat?
Do normal humbuckers fit? I thought that wide range humbuckers were bigger than normal ones.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Yeah they'll fit. You can get a pickup ring that goes around it. The phat cat is the size of a normal humbucker (but its a single coil).
Generally, before doing anything to a '72 Tele Deluxe, there are two or three things you need to do. 1. Change the 250K pots to 500K pots. 2. Change the switch 99% of the stock switches are too flimsy. 3. After all of this is done, and you're still not satisfied, and you're sure it's not your amp, then look into new pickups. 90% of people who complain about their '72 Tele Deluxes have not changed out the pots. =)

I'm looking into getting one of these soon, so good choice! Post some pics of the guitar with the P-90 in it. I'm wondering how that looks.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Uhhh, isn't the '72 deluxe MIA?
the one with the two buckers in black or burgandy?

I thought the stock pups sound fine...and that's through my friends decent (at best) SS amp.

The '72 Deluxe Reissue is MIM. And some people like the muddy-ish tone. Personally, for the kind of music I do, I prefer a bit brighter pickups. That, and I'm planning on coil-splitting my Tele Deluxe, so I can get the humbucker sound, as well as the original Tele Twang. =D
Quote by Raxef
The '72 Deluxe Reissue is MIM. And some people like the muddy-ish tone. Personally, for the kind of music I do, I prefer a bit brighter pickups. That, and I'm planning on coil-splitting my Tele Deluxe, so I can get the humbucker sound, as well as the original Tele Twang. =D

Classic
An exciting take on our American Vintage series, with great '50s, '60s and '70s look, feel and vibe. Features our famous Tele® Thinline and Deluxe models, plus the new master-designed "Classic Player" guitars ...

and the 72 deluxe is apart of the American Vintage...wouldn't that mean MIA?
it's a mim.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Shuk
Can I put 500k pots for just the neck humbucker and leave the 250k for the P-90? BTW, here's a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chairkickers/2362319735/

The shoreline gold finish rocks!

Sure can. The tone controls are seperate per pup so there will be no problem. You can also just bypass the tone control for the neck pup too. This will give you the neck pup full open.

I have the black on black. Love it!!