Page 1 of 2
I have an epiphone les pual custom plus. It plays very well, as good as some Gibsons that ive played and better than some <--(studio's). Anyways for christmass im gonna fix it up, heres my list. Will it be a better guitar than a stock gibson studio or equall to a stock gibson les paul standard?

(Im getting a new pot because im going to coil tap it.)

*EDIT* You cant just click on the links you have to copy and paste the whole link because some of the link was left out in the highlighted part.

1.DiMarzio 500K Push-Pull Pot
$13.95
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-500K-Push -Pull-Pot-987357-i1163659.gc

2.Gibson Vintage Gold Machine Heads with Pearloid Buttons
$64.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Vintage-Gold -Machine-Heads-with-Pearloid-Buttons-306094- i1128025.gc

3.ProLine Strap Lock
$19.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine-Strap-Lock- 104646054-i1385862.gc

4.Seymour Duncan SH-PG1 Pearly Gates Pickup
$94.95
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan- SH-PG1-Pearly-Gates-Pickup-301100- i1127511.gc

5.Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 Model Electric Guitar Pickup
$72.95
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SH -1--59-Model-Electric-Guitar-Pickup-300010- i1127357.gc

6.TonePros Metric Locking Tune-O-Matic Bridge (large posts)
$69.75
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TonePros-Metric- Locking-Tune-O-Matic-Bridge--large-posts-- 306149-i1128083.gc

7.Gibson Tailpiece TP-6
$109.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Tailpiece-TP -6-100119752-i1128031.gc

8. Gibson Bridge Pickup Mounting Ring (3/8")
$14.00 (set)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Bridge- Pickup-Mounting-Ring--3-8---100302797- i1129861.gc

9.DiMarzio Toggle Switch Cap
$3.95
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-Toggle- Switch-Cap-364730-i1130556.gc

10.SWITCH WASHER For Gibson CREAM
$3.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/SWITCH-WASHER-For- Gibson-CREAM-w-BLACK-Letters- ws1_W0QQitemZ380073475890QQcmdZViewItem ?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Last edited by Brian8878682 at Nov 2, 2008,
The guitar center links aren't working, but if I was you I'd just start with the pups and decide if anything else needs upgrading later. The biggest fault with the epis seems to be pups.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Sadbutrue62
sounds like a good setup. But if you sell your epiphone and use the money plus what your ognna buy you might be able to get a nice used gibson lp

I would only be able to get a used studio : ( I think the setup im going twords would look way better than a studio and would sound way better.)
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Kevin Saale
The guitar center links aren't working, but if I was you I'd just start with the pups and decide if anything else needs upgrading later. The biggest fault with the epis seems to be pups.

You have to highlight the whole link then copy and paste sorry bout that.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
you can take a 300-500 U.S.D. guitar to a very good leuthier and pay about 250 for a full setup and fret dress and have a guitar that is as good as you can get for playability. why pay so much for a very good leuthier that works at gibson or epiphone for that matter.
PS what an insanely rediculous waste of money to replace hardware. if you think that makes enough of a difference why dont you just stuff all the cutouts for the electronics with hundred dollar bills to deepen the tone or something.
MofC: If the guitar has poor tuners then replacing them can help the guitar stay in tune. A new bridge can make a big difference. Play a strat with regular saddles and then play one with bent steel saddles and tell me you don't notice a difference.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
you can take a 300-500 U.S.D. guitar to a very good leuthier and pay about 250 for a full setup and fret dress and have a guitar that is as good as you can get for playability. why pay so much for a very good leuthier that works at gibson or epiphone for that matter.
PS what an insanely rediculous waste of money to replace hardware. if you think that makes enough of a difference why dont you just stuff all the cutouts for the electronics with hundred dollar bills to deepen the tone or something.

the tail peice is to keep it in tune better, the tuners are there because I will have enough to get them and they look awsome, the pickups are very neccessary, the bridge is for better sustain and playability. The coil tap is for versatility, the strap lockers are so I dont brake the neck, the pickup rings and the switch washer are just because Ill have about 20 bucks left over and I wanted to use them to make the guitar look a little different. I dont understand what part of any of that is something that I will need or have a good use for.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
well at least he knows what he wants XD

seems like a solid setup but i doubt u would need to change like the mounting brackets for the pups and stuff, really worry about the cosmetic stuff last and deal w/ the actual tone changing stuff first.

Also what amp are you running?

EDIT: ^ its not like u need to spend ur max budget just spend what u need and put the excess to a fund for like future gear or something
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Nov 2, 2008,
I don't know if I'd worry about the bridge or the tail piece, replace the tuners and see if that doesn't keep it in tune. For strap locks I'd definitely go with schallers, they're a bit more, but totally worth it. I'd also take it to a luthier and have the nut replaced with a quality bone nut.
Quote by Kevin Saale
MofC: If the guitar has poor tuners then replacing them can help the guitar stay in tune. A new bridge can make a big difference. Play a strat with regular saddles and then play one with bent steel saddles and tell me you don't notice a difference.

nut lube costs a dollar and it helps tuning stability more than grovers. as for the saddles i can play guitar in a short sleeve shirt or a long sleeve shirt and i will feel a difference. bent steel saddles dont help my fingers or my pickups and they dont help yours either if i had to guess.
PS the guitar brands you see used most often by signed and endorsed artists are just the ones that spend the most on marketing, not the most on actually making guitars.
just FYI the schaller strap locks are just the same as the proline and i have the schaller on the strat im building and the proline on my SG they are exactly the same no difference. W/ schaller ur payinf extra for the name that isn't even of the product
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Brian8878682
the tail peice is to keep it in tune better, the tuners are there because I will have enough to get them and they look awsome, the pickups are very neccessary, the bridge is for better sustain and playability. The coil tap is for versatility, the strap lockers are so I dont brake the neck, the pickup rings and the switch washer are just because Ill have about 20 bucks left over and I wanted to use them to make the guitar look a little different. I dont understand what part of any of that is something that I will need or have a good use for.

for the record i wasnt talking about the pups or the coil tap. i did both to mine. its all the other stuff.
Quote by sandman-105
well at least he knows what he wants XD

seems like a solid setup but i doubt u would need to change like the mounting brackets for the pups and stuff, really worry about the cosmetic stuff last and deal w/ the actual tone changing stuff first.

Also what amp are you running?

EDIT: ^ its not like u need to spend ur max budget just spend what u need and put the excess to a fund for like future gear or something

yea all that cosmetic stuff is only gonna cost me $20 and the tuners are really there because I want the vintage looking cream ones instead of my cheesy looking gold grovers. All the tone stuff does come first on my list by the way. Im using a Marshall Jcm900 dual reverb 50 watt half-stack
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Kevin Saale
I don't know if I'd worry about the bridge or the tail piece, replace the tuners and see if that doesn't keep it in tune. For strap locks I'd definitely go with schallers, they're a bit more, but totally worth it. I'd also take it to a luthier and have the nut replaced with a quality bone nut.

whats a guitar luthier? exscues my ignorance lol
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
nut lube costs a dollar and it helps tuning stability more than grovers.

I'll agree it can help, but if the tuners are shit then it won't matter. Epis aren't known for having the best hardware. I just realized, his guitar has grovers, there's no reason to change these brian, it will be a waste

as for the saddles i can play guitar in a short sleeve shirt or a long sleeve shirt and i will feel a difference. bent steel saddles dont help my fingers or my pickups and they dont help yours either if i had to guess.

Then explain to me why when I bought my Jimmie vaughan strat(note: it has bent steel saddles) it sounded way better than the american strats, which at that time didn't have the bent steel saddles. I mean, those americans had better pups and supposedly better hardware, but they sounded like shit. Also explain why the new american strats with bent steel saddles sound awesome? Now I don't know if his bridge will make that big of a difference (honestly don't think it will) but you won't know until you try it.

PS the guitar brands you see used most often by signed and endorsed artists are just the ones that spend the most on marketing, not the most on actually making guitars.

Did this part have a point?

Brian: A luthier works on and makes guitars, he can replace the nut for you, which is a good thing considering your guitar probably has a crap plastic one.
Quote by Brian8878682
whats a guitar luthier? exscues my ignorance lol

a leuthier is like a mechanic for your guitar. somebody who fixes broken guitars and makes OK guitars play great. and when you pick a leuthier dont just go with the cheapest. you wouldnt take a ferrari to midas, would you?
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'll agree it can help, but if the tuners are shit then it won't matter. Epis aren't known for having the best hardware. I just realized, his guitar has grovers, there's no reason to change these brian, it will be a waste

Then explain to me why when I bought my Jimmie vaughan strat(note: it has bent steel saddles) it sounded way better than the american strats, which at that time didn't have the bent steel saddles. I mean, those americans had better pups and supposedly better hardware, but they sounded like shit. Also explain why the new american strats with bent steel saddles sound awesome? Now I don't know if his bridge will make that big of a difference (honestly don't think it will) but you won't know until you try it.

Brian: A luthier works on and makes guitars, he can replace the nut for you, which is a good thing considering your guitar probably has a crap plastic one.

you say they sounded better which im assuming you mean you tried ONE at a guitar store versus ONE of the inferior saddled guitars. i will agree that the saddles do make a difference along with about a hundred other factors. my point is that you are assigning too much significance to a feature just because its marketed as being better. but there is way more to guitar selection than that and you cant try to represent the saddles of a guitar as a significant feature by themselves.
PS if youre looking for a good string and pickup holder i.e. sweet guitar, the NECK JOINT is the most important factor to analyze. its the overall resonance of the guitar and it cant be changes easily. dont try to fight an unacceptable guitar with minor upgrades like some douchebag trying to make his tiny 4 cylinder honda fast with a loud exhaust and a tail fin.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
to MichealofClaton

The point is, I have a nice epiphone that just hapens to be one of the lucky ones that comes out of the factory being a little better built than the others and as I could go out and buy a $1200 gibson studio for the gibson name on my headstock, I could spend about $400 making my epiphone look better and have better hardware than a Gibson studio and alsop prolly sound a little better considering the pickups which if I got a gibson I would switch out for the 2 SD's that Im going to put in my epiphoine because I like them better than the Gibson ones. And the only reason im getting the pickup mounts is to make my guitar look different, not to sound better.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Kevin Saale

Why would changing my bridge not make a differnece? wouldent it sound better have better sustain and play better if I hadea good bridge? Everyones review say that it makes a huge difference. And the gibson tuners are actuall better than the grovers that come with an epi apparently they are very cheap grovers?
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
i would do like the other dude says..sell it..put all the money into the real deal...at the end of the day its not a gibson..its an epi...
Quote by jessexxx
i would do like the other dude says..sell it..put all the money into the real deal...at the end of the day its not a gibson..its an epi...

Then your just paying for the name on the headstock, my finished epi wilil easily out do a any used gibson I could get for $800
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
you say they sounded better which im assuming you mean you tried ONE at a guitar store versus ONE of the inferior saddled guitars.

Well, you're wrong there, I tried many guitars

i will agree that the saddles do make a difference along with about a hundred other factors. my point is that you are assigning too much significance to a feature just because its marketed as being better. but there is way more to guitar selection than that and you cant try to represent the saddles of a guitar as a significant feature by themselves.

I never said it was a significant difference, I said it was a difference. I do think it's a difference worrying about on strats, to me at least, since I notice the difference and prefer the bent saddles over the un bent.

PS if youre looking for a good string and pickup holder i.e. sweet guitar, the NECK JOINT is the most important factor to analyze. its the overall resonance of the guitar and it cant be changes easily.

I agree, the neck and the way the guitar feels and plays acoustically is one of the many reasons I bought the guitar I have.

dont try to fight an unacceptable guitar with minor upgrades like some douchebag trying to make his tiny 4 cylinder honda fast with a loud exhaust and a tail fin.

Ok?

Point is, epis are decent guitars with bad pups, and maybe not good hardware.

Brian: Does your guitar go out of tune quickly now? If so, I'd have the nut checked first, that's usually the problem. As for the tuners, if they are made for epi they may be poor, but I'd still have the nut checked first, it's the simplest to replace and even if it's not causing tuning problem replacing it with a bone nut can make a difference if a proper luthier does a neat job.
Lol, I remember trying to convince you to not buy a MIA strat and upgrading your LP because you didn't like how it played ages ago.

But it should be fine.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I know, I thought that Fender guitars would play better but after spending baout 3 1/2 hours at guitar center today I decided that I like the way my guitar feels better than I do the fenders. So I decided it would be best to upgrade my epi. After playing many gibsons and epis today I realized how nice of a guitar that I have and how well it plays.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Brian - I have a Epi Black Beauty and I have to say it is a wonderful guitar that has served me well for a few years now. I have replaced my pups with SD's and I have to say it makes a huge difference. I would suggest checking out such things as pots and stuff but doesn't make a huge difference - not that I've found anyway. The tail is pretty standard and I don't think you'll gain anything significant by replacing it. I do think it is a worthwhile thing to get a decent nut - I am so lazy I have put up with mine but I recognise it is, if I'm honest, pretty sub-par. The only other thing I would suggest id perhaps taking a look at the tuners - these are notorious issues with Epi's - they are prone to allowing slippage. A lot of slippage.

So in summary:
Change pups
Change nut
Check out new tuners

You'll have wood that will sh*t on low end Gibbies and a healthier wallet
dont get the gibson tuners. the grovers that epiphones come with are better. if you really need the vintage look, kluson makes tulip tuners that are locking and have 18:1 ratio. also, if you are getting a tonepros bridge, you might as well get a tonepros tail piece which is cheaper and better than the gibson one. (all new gibsons come with tonepros bridge and tailpiece.)
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
^Wrong. Only the new Gibson '08 Les Paul Standards come with Tone Pros.

Don't get new tuners or a new bridge.

Your Epiphone, if its a newer model, already comes with Grovers, which are top notch, and your bridge and tailpiece would be better than a Gibson. It's essentially already like the Tone Pros bridges.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Wrong. Only the new Gibson '08 Les Paul Standards come with Tone Pros.

Don't get new tuners or a new bridge.

Your Epiphone, if its a newer model, already comes with Grovers, which are top notch, and your bridge and tailpiece would be better than a Gibson. It's essentially already like the Tone Pros bridges.

lol. if you can read, you would see i said "all new" maybe to you new means 2000 and up, but i think the concensus is that new would refer to 2008. and i also said not to change the tuners, but if he must, theres a better option. and no the chinese made locking bridge/tail piece of the new epiphones are not TonePros.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Brian... get it done, don't ask for advice. When its finished you can make a recording and go... "Hmmph... told you so"
Quote by kasso
lol. if you can read, you would see i said "all new" maybe to you new means 2000 and up, but i think the concensus is that new would refer to 2008.

But since when does "Gibson Les Paul Standard" refer to ALL GIBSONS? Only the new LPs have Tonepros. All the Studios, Explorers, V's...all still have standard hardware...You made way too broad a generalization. Don't try to cover it up.

Quote by kasso
and no the chinese made locking bridge/tail piece of the new epiphones are not TonePros.

No, they're not. I never said that. I said they're "essentially like TonePros". But they're better than the standard hardware on Gibsons. Look it up. The new Epis are now equipped with Epiphone's Locktone bridge system. Works the same way as Tonepros.

Quote by evolucian
Brian... get it done, don't ask for advice. When its finished you can make a recording and go... "Hmmph... told you so"

That's simply moronic. Why should he waste all this money on mods that are unnecessary. I'm fine with modding Epis, but he's changing things that are already better/equal to Gibson quality.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Nov 3, 2008,
@ Forsaken - we all know what you mean. Those that count anyway. I agree with what you say for the record. And while it may seem like suck-ass time, I for one will acknowledge this man knows what he talking about. I own and love a (albeit modded - I put SD's in rather than put up with stock) Epi LP, and I will re-iterate that a good Epi (prob custom upwards) will outdo a low end Gibby. But I will conceed that after playing a Gibby Gold Top, there is no other guitar in the frame that competes. Again this is only my opinion, people on here should only comment on what they KNOW. I have a modded Epi BB LP which shites on most Gibs I've ever played. However once you start getting into the Gib custom realm you can forget it!.

I will never trade my Epi, however even if Les Paul himself sacrificed himself and used his blood as stain on the AAAA matched top.

That would be messy anyway.....
Yah i agree, with alot of yous here.
Low end gibson's are complete shit for the money, and higher end epiphones are just as good if not better with a pup change. The necks arent as bulky and they feeld better and smotther to me anyways.
I got a BLack beuty as well and ive yet to find a low end gibson that plays just as good as it does, or a MIM strat.
^

EDIT: I have owned a Gibby Studio and a Gibby Standard (well it was my father's Gibby Standard but he had arthritis in his hands and couldn't play as much as he wanted - R.I.P.). I still prefer my EPI
Last edited by UnicronAlliance at Nov 3, 2008,
Slow down there cowboy... You don't need to get all that stuff to get your epi better than a gibson. Even Gibson will tell you that for anybody that actually wants to play the guitar, an epi is better than a gibson. All you need to get "better than gibson tone" is new electronics. Everything else about the epi is already better for tone. Most Epi guitars need a good setup too but it sounds like yours was set up pretty good to begin with so you can bypass that. Just get new pickups, new pots, and a new switch and you should be happy.

Edit: Forsaken is right on what he is saying.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 3, 2008,
Tear out all the electronics. Get some nice pickups, tone caps, CTS pots. Don't worry about the other stuff, Epi hardware is good.
The only hardware upgrade you listed that I'd do would be the TP-6. I've got one on my LP and it's a great addition. It's a functional rather than a quality upgrade though, so don't expect the tone to change drastically. You might get a bit of a sustain increase because it's a heavier tailpiece, but mostly it's just nice to have the fine tuners.
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's simply moronic. Why should he waste all this money on mods that are unnecessary. I'm fine with modding Epis, but he's changing things that are already better/equal to Gibson quality.

Because in the end its his choice. Besides, if the guy he's taking it to is any good, he'll tell him which is necessary and which isn't as he will have it in his hands whereas we don't. He's at least set himself a budget which, lets face it, not many musicians do. Let him do what he feels he needs to do.
I'd say just change out the pickups and get a new nut, thats what I did to my custom and it plays great now. I was going to change out the tuners and bridge but after I changed the nut all of my intonation problems were solved.
Page 1 of 2