Yes NPD stands for New Pick Day, but before you close this thread and think I'm an idiot let me explain. The actual review doesn't start until the bolded words, so feel free to just skip down to that.

EDIT: I did this review right when I got the picks and I'm pretty harsh on the Surfpick. After about a month my opinion completely changed and I added some further thoughts later in this thread...

Recently I was finally able to open up a PayPal account which has opened up the world of online shopping for me. As a guitarist, most top of the line stuff is referred to as boutique. However with my measly budget, there was only one boutique thing I could afford, picks.

I had heard someone mention v-picks here on UG before so I went looking. After a bit of looking around the site I decided on getting a small pointed, because of its simarities to the Jazz III and a Screamer, because it was supposedly there most popular pick.

After placing my orders I did a little digging to see what other people were saying about them and I discovered Surfpicks. Despite being a bit pricier than V-picks I figured I'd go ahead and grab one as well.

I ordered them all late Friday night/early Saturday morning and they all showed up on Monday.

From left to right there's the Surfpick standard 2mm, V-pick small pointed, V-pick medium rounded and the V-pick Screamer. For reference a Jazz III is pretty the exact same size as the small pointed.

Okay now for the review.

Playability and sound: IMHO the most important part of a pick.

*Screamer - I was not expecting this to live up to the hype, but it actually managed to... mostly. This is has mostly to do the bevel of the pick. It along with the acrylic material of the pick causes incredibly smooth and comfortable picking. It's hard to describe, but no other pick I've used comes close to the feeling. The pick is also incredibly thick, which makes it very comfy to hold, but also means you don't really feel the pick connecting with the string you do on other picks. A Jazz III, for example, is pretty thick so it doesn't really "give" when it hits a string, but there's still a certain pop you feel when it hits a string that isn't present with the Screamer. I actually sort of prefer this especially for picking really precises passages. All three points of the pick are shaped the same, so you don't really have to worry about which you use, but with two of them if you dig into much you hit the embossed V-pick logo.

Soundwise the pick is full, bright, and very defined. Very simalair in sound to a Jazz III with just a little more bite and less compression which I assume probably has a lot to do with the material of the pick. The bevel of the pick gives you great volume and attack control which I haven't gotten with any other pick.

* Small pointed - Very similair in feel to the Screamer but also different. It also has a large bevel but it's shaped slightly differently which is noticeable when playing. It's pretty much a V-pick Jazz III.

* Medium rounded - I didn't buy this, but Vinnie threw it in for free to help make I found the pick I was looking for, which I though was really cool. This is an odd pick. Like the others it has a bevel but as the name would suggest it's rounded. That along with thickness of the pick creates a very warm and full sound. Not quite defined enough for the stuff I like to play, but perfect for jazzy, bluesy, or other mellow music.

* Surfpick - If I hadn't ordered the V-picks at the same time, I probably would have ended up liking this pick a lot more than I do. Whereas the V-picks have a completely different feel, the Surfpick just feels like a standard pick with added thickness and unique tone. After playing the V-picks, it feels odd to try and play such a thick pick without a bevel. I found myself piciking the string and getting caught, because of my picking angle and the wooden material of the pick. When I focus more on my picking, it tends not to be a problem, but one thing I expect from a pick is for it's use to be effortless.

I can't really describe the sound, but it is unique. Very subtle but unique. It's very natural sounding and slightly compressed without being too warm. Don't know if that makes sense, but yeah...

Value:

* V-picks - For $4 a pop I was hesitant at first, but now I would happily spend that again. I'm not so sure about the pricier picks that are available, but considering these are supposed to last forever, 4$ seems fair to me.

* Surfpick - I definetley never planned on spending $10 on a single pick when I first started playing guitar, but that's what I did to get my hands on the Surfpick standard. It's a much a conversation piece as it is a guitar pick, but it's still damn expensive. I know most of that has to do with the extremely rare wood the pick is made out of, but still. I can't imagine ever buying one again, but that's also mainly because I'm going to make sure not to lose the one I have now, . It is pretty in it's included case though...

Customer Service and Shipping:
Both companies excelled in this department. I've heard that both are willing to shape picks to custom specifications and both owners seem like incredibly nice people. Both shipped the same exact days I place my orders and Ra somehow managed to get my surfpick across the country to me in a day in some amazing. I think he may employ elves. Cannonball elves... Anyway, I would definetely do business with either again.

Final Thoughts:
I strongly believe that a pick is a pretty small damn part of the guitar playing equation. A crappy guitaritst isn't going to see huge progress just by the same picks and in the same way a great guitarist will be able to melt your face off no matter what they are using. With that said though, I find different picks are fun to mess around with and they can beneficial to my playing.

The V-pick Screamer has become my new main and I love the thing. The other two I noodle with every now and then, but I mostly stick to the Screamer. I think these are definetely something everyone should try.

I was pretty harsh on the Surfpick in this review, but I still really liked it, it just wasn't for me. I'm tempted to order another sometime in the future made to my specs, but we'll see. If you're very picky about your tone or are just looking for something new, give them a shot.
Last edited by T!AN at Nov 24, 2008,
NPD interesting idea
are the v picks glass? looks like it
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Vpicks are acrylic. Try giving your surfpick a bevel with a file and then sand it smooth.

I have a bunch of v picks though. I've got a screamer, a shredder (this thing is a joke), a large heavy rounded, medium heavy rounded, medium pointed, large pointed, medium lite pointed(these are thinner) and some medium light pointed picks that have an sharper bevel.

I the medium lites the best, but I still find myself reaching for my Jazz III xls though. What I don't like with the v picks is that all the sides are the same length, I like that the tear drop shape on the jazz that makes it longer than it is wide.

I might give the surf picks a try and have them make me something custom. Do you know what kind of wood they use?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ The site says they use Lignum Vitae. I have no idea what the heck that is, but it has an interesting texture that makes the pick stick to your fingers, and it smells decent...

And I get what your saying about the sides of the V-pick. I find that annoying at times too. It can be a challenge trying to orient my self on the pick sometimes because of that.
Quote by T!AN
^ The site says they use Lignum Vitae. I have no idea what the heck that is, but it has an interesting texture that makes the pick stick to your fingers, and it smells decent...

Lignum Vitae is Iron Wood, IIRC. Extremely dense and hard.

Still would use fingers over picks, personally.

In any case, happy new pick day.
Quote by T!AN

And I get what your saying about the sides of the V-pick. I find that annoying at times too. It can be a challenge trying to orient my self on the pick sometimes because of that.

I've thought about asking vinnie to make me some tear drop shaped v picks, but I have a feeling it will be pricey, because it looks to me like his picks are made in a mold. The custom beveled ones I got were beveled with what looks to be a file or somesuch and smoothed with sand paper.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my opinion of the Surfpick has changed completely. After ignoring the Surfpick for almost an entire month and only playing with it on occasion (you can't just completely forgot about a $10 pick), I am now in love with it.

I seem to have worked out the hitch in my picking technique that was causing me to scrape against the strings when using the Surfpick, so now playing with it is great. Overall my technique feels better too, but more importantly my tone is also much better.

The Surfpick creates a very smooth and warm sound that still has plenty of punch and definetion to it. Exactly the sound I want out of a pick. It along with my all maple Ibanez AS103 with flatwounds sounds heavenly. I can't imagine there being a better pick for jazz.

I plan on ordering another one soon and getting some slight modifications done to it.
Last edited by T!AN at Nov 24, 2008,
So the Small pointed picks are like Jazz IIIs, but are they sharp enough to cut you (or at least nearly)?
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

I really wanted to love Surfpicks....but they are slick as snot! After having them slip during gigs I tried drilling a groove in it like dunlop stubbies have....the pick shattered - hard but brittle I guess...my advice would be if you're going to buy one get one with the rubber coating or the hole...otherwise it's tough to hang on to them.....
Quote by ngoma1998
I really wanted to love Surfpicks....but they are slick as snot! After having them slip during gigs I tried drilling a groove in it like dunlop stubbies have....the pick shattered - hard but brittle I guess...my advice would be if you're going to buy one get one with the rubber coating or the hole...otherwise it's tough to hang on to them.....

thread is from 2008.

reported

for necrobump.

make a new thread concerning the matter if you would like.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.