im gonna get a crate v-33 head and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it would cost to change most of the important caps and resistors? anyone have any links to someone who works on tube amps? if i get the v33, changing all those will be one of the first things i do. the caps and the output transformer need replacing.
Why would you spend that kind of money on a cheapish amp like the v33? With the amount that would cost I would probably just good a different amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah im not shure yet. would the crate v18 2x12 be loud enough for crowds of 50-100 people with a full band?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Why would you spend that kind of money on a cheapish amp like the v33? With the amount that would cost I would probably just good a different amp.

Resistors are cheap. Bleed the caps, get a soldering iron, and go.

All the info needed is here
http://dnator.50webs.com/index.html

@felix- modifying the tone stack would do more to change tone than tubes or speakers. Though good speakers make this amp shine.

Also, Kevin, I think it's a good amp regardless. Don't forget that the reason for the cheap prices is because of clearance. They are going for half the original list price, which is lower than MSRP.
really? i dont want it to totally get distorted. i use pedals for gain. so the 18 might not be what im looking for then. how loud do you think it's clean sound gets.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Why change those? Get new tubes and speakers

One coupling cap can totally change the overall tone of the amp.

Caps and resistors play such a HUGE roll in your tone.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
really? i dont want it to totally get distorted. i use pedals for gain. so the 18 might not be what im looking for then. how loud do you think it's clean sound gets.

Be very specific in what you want.

I can give you a full review of the V33H if you want it.
Quote by imgooley
Resistors are cheap. Bleed the caps, get a soldering iron, and go.

All the info needed is here
http://dnator.50webs.com/index.html
He said "get someone to do it" so assumed he was gonna have a pro do it. I agree it probably wouldn't be hard, but he may not want or be able to

@felix- modifying the tone stack would do more to change tone than tubes or speakers. Though good speakers make this amp shine.
Agreed, but again, I think he was talking about having all the components replaced

Also, Kevin, I think it's a good amp regardless. Don't forget that the reason for the cheap prices is because of clearance. They are going for half the original list price, which is lower than MSRP.
Oh, I agree, but I don't think it would be worth it to buy one and have a pro change all the components out

I'm in bold there

+1 to felix, the v33 combo would probably have enough juice as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'm in bold there

True.

I wouldn't have a pro do it anyway.
the output transformer needs replacing? why not try the amp first before boldly claiming the output transformer needs replacing. For most folks, it's not really worth it to run a $300 mod job on a $200 amp.
Quote by al112987
the output transformer needs replacing? why not try the amp first before boldly claiming the output transformer needs replacing. For most folks, it's not really worth it to run a $300 mod job on a $200 amp.

im super broke right now like most of us rockers out there. im hoping if i get this amp i can mod it out here and there to improve the tone. i can afford $100 here and there but not $1000 or even $500. the biggest thing i will do when i get it will be to get some better speakers. possibally alnico blues. i know what you meqn about the spending $300 on a $200 doller amp but if it improves the tone and makes me ahppy thats all i care about. i am not ashamed to play a $200 crate amp if it gives me the tone i want.