Hey everyone, I'm trying to learn The Bard's Song by Blind Guardian. Here's a link to the guitar pro tab for those who have it:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/blind_guardian/the_bards_song_guitar_pro.htm

It looks like they're finger picking the song but in between the plucked chords there are some little lead fills. Do I play them with one finger? Or do I use a pick the whole way through and pluck the chords with my pick and finger? Here is the tab for the very beginning:

e-0-------------------------------------------------------------------------
B----3--1--0--0----1--0-------0-----------------------------------------------
G----------------------------0-----------------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------
A-0------------3-------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------0----------------------------------
Quote by kirkhammett09
Hey everyone, I'm trying to learn The Bard's Song by Blind Guardian. Here's a link to the guitar pro tab for those who have it:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/blind_guardian/the_bards_song_guitar_pro.htm

It looks like they're finger picking the song but in between the plucked chords there are some little lead fills. Do I play them with one finger? Or do I use a pick the whole way through and pluck the chords with my pick and finger? Here is the tab for the very beginning:

e-0-------------------------------------------------------------------------
B----3--1--0--0----1--0-------0-----------------------------------------------
G----------------------------0-----------------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------
A-0------------3-------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------0----------------------------------

I'd say use the pick as well, that looks fairly easy.
to play the bard song I use only finger
It's personal preference realy , it can be both
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I'd say use the pick as well, that looks fairly easy.

How exactly do I do that? Just hold the pick like normal and use my middle finger? The note I play with the pick always sounds too loud and overpowers the other note.
You could try using a thumb pick? or hybrid picking.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
You could try using a thumb pick? or hybrid picking.

This.

The way I do it is finger picking with my middle ring and pinky fingers and hold the pick with my thumb and index (although this is much easier for me than most because I was originally classically trained.)

As for hitting it being louder than the others. Pluck a little harder with your fingers but strike less with your thumb.
You may wish to practice a technique where you tuck the pick in between your index and middle finger to fingerpick certain parts in a song where you also use a flatpick. I kind of figured it out by trial and error, and I don't know what it is called if anything but I am sure others more knowledgeable can chime in.
Quote by michaelscofield
You may wish to practice a technique where you tuck the pick in between your index and middle finger to fingerpick certain parts in a song where you also use a flatpick. I kind of figured it out by trial and error, and I don't know what it is called if anything but I am sure others more knowledgeable can chime in.

Hybrid picking.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
The way I do it is finger picking with my middle ring and pinky fingers and hold the pick with my thumb and index (although this is much easier for me than most because I was originally classically trained.)

I just tried that out and I really like that. I'm just chiming in where I wouldn't normally to say you made a difference, I think, in how I will play the guitar for the rest of my life.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
There are some good lessons on this site for fingerpicking and also some good speed exercises and finger strengthing exercises. Learn some scales to, they will help. A good fingerpicking song is Spoke in the Wheel by Zakk Wylde.