Poll: Would you listen to a band with all long songs?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you listen to a band with all long songs?
Yes, I would
62 89%
No, I wouldn't
8 11%
Voters: 70.
Page 1 of 2
OK, so i have a basic question to ask, just to get some feed back on.

Would you listen to a band if almost every song was over 6 minutes long? Do you think the every day person would listen to a band whose songs all lasted that long?
that's only like one and half to two minutes longer than the average song length.
The answer is 9.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If the music is good it doesn't matter. 10 second long song, hour long song, don't care. As long as I enjoy it
Ever heard of metal?

I mean real metal, not metalcore and mainstream metal (i.e. Metallica).

As a general rule, if it's good music, people will listen to it regardless of song length.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
I'm guessing you don't listen to much progressive music? Tons of bands have long songs dominate their albums.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Quote by Athetosis
Ever heard of metal?

As a general rule, if it's good music, people will listen to it regardless of song length.

Metallica is metal. Quit being elitist.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Meshuggah made a 30 minute song and I listened to it.

Are you Meshuggah?

The answer is this

If the song is good and it keeps peoples' interest, then 6 minutes can be relatively short.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Athetosis
Ever heard of metal?

IMO "real" metal is crap then. I mean frickin Opeth? Come on folks, listen to something musical.

Anyway, as long as it's not the same riff over and over for 4 minutes (Metallica.) it should be good. I would keep songs shorter unless you're shoving alot of riffage or at least a breakdown in.

PS: It's fun to joke about Metallica.
Would you listen to a band if almost every song was over 6 minutes long?

Pop music has jaded you. Six minutes is very short.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
There's several doom metal bands that have albums that are just 1 40+ minute song.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
There's several doom metal bands that have albums that are just 1 40+ minute song.

Back in Black - AC/DC (the album) is just one song.
If the song is good, people will listen. Beware though, most people kinda lose interest around the 3-5 minute mark.
Our collective attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. Look at pretty well any top-ten single from the last ten years, and it will be rare to find one over four minutes, let alone six.

If you want to write music for the masses, you have to 'don't bore us, get to the chorus' and then milk the chorus a bunch of times so it sticks, and then get the hell out the door.

For the most part, only musicians will listen to a piece of music that is longer than that and still stay interested.

Think of it like this... you have some guy at the front of a lecture hall going on about the infintely relative nature of infinite numbers. Sure, all the math geeks will be hooked for the whole lecture, but the average person will express a passing interest at best, and will be completely gone out for coffee by the end of the third minute or so.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Our collective attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. Look at pretty well any top-ten single from the last ten years, and it will be rare to find one over four minutes, let alone six.

If you want to write music for the masses, you have to 'don't bore us, get to the chorus' and then milk the chorus a bunch of times so it sticks, and then get the hell out the door.

For the most part, only musicians will listen to a piece of music that is longer than that and still stay interested.

Think of it like this... you have some guy at the front of a lecture hall going on about the infintely relative nature of infinite numbers. Sure, all the math geeks will be hooked for the whole lecture, but the average person will express a passing interest at best, and will be completely gone out for coffee by the end of the third minute or so.

CT

Stairway to Heaven? Or do people outside of Canada not worship it?

Worshiping it is not the same as listening to it. How many of the people that claim Hendrix was the greatest guitarist who ever lived have actually listened to his music? I'm betting not very many. The same it true of Stairway to Heaven.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Superstrat101

Last I checked, that song was damned near as old as I am. Try looking at top-ten songs from the last ten years or so. Hell... even twenty. For every one you might find over 4:30, you'll probably find nearly 100 that clock in at less than 4:00.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by strat0blaster
Meshuggah made a 30 minute song and I listened to it.

Are you Meshuggah?

The answer is this

If the song is good and it keeps peoples' interest, then 6 minutes can be relatively short.

Fantomas have a 74 minute song, DT have a song which takes up the whole second disc of Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance, it's about 40 something minutes I think.

TS, I quite frequently listen to The Odyssey by Symphony X which is about 24 minutes, but when you are talking about the average listener, most get bored very fast. If you are looking at the mainstream as being your target it will be near impossible once you get reach the 6 minute mark.

Long story short, unless you compose the catchiest hooks ever known to man then 6 is really pushing it. If you look in the 5 minute range, it's feasible, but incredibally hard. 3:45-4:15 would be the ideal length I imagine.
... or between 3:15 and 3:45....

CT

^^^lol seeing how i have 89 songs on my computer that are longer than 15 minutes. i do beileve if you keep the music interesting and the people will listen to it jam out don't worry about lenght. if people enjoy the music they will keep listening.
Quote by axemanchris
... or between 3:15 and 3:45....

CT

Okay, I know this doesn't apply to everything but Ayumi Hamasaki who is one of the most popular singers in asia has numerous songs over 4 minutes, in fact only 3 songs on her latest album were under 4 minutes, 2 of which were interludes of a sort. Along with that 4 of the songs were over 5 minutes.

This is a 14 track album I'm talking about..
Most Rush songs are 5+ minutes. There are many great songs that are long. Foreplay/Longtime, Freebird ect... As long as they don't drag on it doesn't matter what the length is.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
If it's interesting enough, so yeah probably.

But I'm a prog-metalhead anyway, so that might have something to do with it.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by xEpidemicx
Most Rush songs are 5+ minutes. There are many great songs that are long. Foreplay/Longtime, Freebird ect... As long as they don't drag on it doesn't matter what the length is.

Yes, but Rush don't exactly cater to the average listener...
for pop music: around 3 and a half minutes and lots of choruses
for anything else: no one cares as long as it's not boring

this works for the people I hang out with anyway
Is this James Hetfield wondering why no one likes your new album?

I think I have natural talent for guitar because I'm left handed and I use that hand to pleasure myself. Seeing as I started playing after most of intense masturbating-teen years, the dexterity was already there.
Checking Billboard's top ten of the hot 100 as of right now.... only one song is longer than 4:11. Seven of them are under 4:00. None of them are over 5:40.

CT

Quote by Zycho
If the song is good, people will listen. Beware though, most people kinda lose interest around the 3-5 minute mark.

see thats the thing i was worried about, b/c other musicians would of course listen to it and would have a greater appreciation for it than the average joe.
Moving to Billboards Modern Rock chart....

Only one song (yep... the Metallica) is over 4:15. Two songs - both the number one and number two songs - are under 3:00.

CT

I'm with CT on this one.

Keep the long songs for the album!

Short, snappy songs can carry a lot of energy in a short burst of time and keep the listener interested. Whoring the chorus is the best way to get people at your gigs to sing along and the best gigs are the ones where you can hear the audience singing your own tunes!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Ktool The Girth
Metallica was metal. Quit being elitist.

Fix'd

DM doesn't do them justice for me BTW.
Quote by J-Spoon
Is this James Hetfield wondering why no one likes your new album?

I lol'd.

Anyway, you could do what some bands do is make an album with your 6 min stuff but make a few "singles" that are shorter and maybe exclude a traditional guitar solo... maybe a lick or something rather than a minute long shred-fest. This stuff is to break the ice.

Either that, or have a ballad thing like Metallica (good example I guess) did with Nothing Else Matters and the rest of the songs on your album being whatever else... just saying that people will usually listen to ballads (looking at U2, Def Leppard and most 80s hair metal?)
Quote by axemanchris
Moving to Billboards Modern Rock chart....

Only one song (yep... the Metallica) is over 4:15. Two songs - both the number one and number two songs - are under 3:00.

CT

Oki, however it is possible to write popular songs that are 5 minutes in length, it's just not very easy.
Quote by Graveworm
Fix'd

DM doesn't do them justice for me BTW.

they were metal, now they're rock.

bands change genres all the time to expand their audience. metal was better for metallica in my opinion.

genres that use long songs tend to not be mainstream radio stuff like progressive and doom metal.

i only have some really long songs, off the top of my head the longest is probably ants of the sky by between the buried and me at almost 14 minutes.

that or dream theater's glass prison.
Quote by Regression
Oki, however it is possible to write popular songs that are 5 minutes in length, it's just not very easy.

because people have short attention spans.

for me, it depends on how good the song is. some songs don't keep my attention very long and have an acceptable length, while some songs i think should have been cut shorter (such as the day that never comes).
Quote by Metallica_Man55
they were metal, now they're rock.

bands change genres all the time to expand their audience. metal was better for metallica in my opinion.

genres that use long songs tend to not be mainstream radio stuff like progressive and doom metal.

i only have some really long songs, off the top of my head the longest is probably ants of the sky by between the buried and me at almost 14 minutes.

that or dream theater's glass prison.

If you have Ants of the Sky then surely you must have White Walls which is longer.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger
If you have Ants of the Sky then surely you must have White Walls which is longer.

i haven't gotten a chance to listen to white walls yet.

i do remember seeing that white walls was over 14 minutes though.
Page 1 of 2