does anyone agree with me when i say that the white stripes and the black keys are way similar,
they both have two band members, a guitarist and a drummer, they both have a guitarist who sings, they both sound similar, and they both are insanely incredible!!!!!
They don;t sound similar

but they both are cool
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by jackwhitefreak
does anyone agree with me when i say that the white stripes and the black keys are way similar,
they both have two band members, a guitarist and a drummer, they both have a guitarist who sings, they both sound similar, and they both are insanely horrible!!!!!

Fixed.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by frigginjerk
douche

You would be correct

I'm sorry, but this retro garage rock brings nothing new to the table.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Yeah, they do have certain similarities but they are seperate bands in their own right. I too agree that both bands are brilliant.
They are completely different. I'm a huge Jack White fanboy, but also a huge Keys fan.
Early TWS is pretty similar to some Keys stuff, but the newer (GBMS and Icky Thump) Stripes work isn't very similar at all unless compared to Attack and Release. The Black Keys are much more blues based than TWS. You can see TWS' influences in The Gories and such other Garage bands, whereas you can see RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough in The Keys.

Pat Carney is a far better drummer than Meg, but their styles work equally well imo.

Pat is beast though.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Fixed.

I wouldn't say either band is insanely horrible, but I would say insanely overrated. I actually enjoy both of them, but it's a shame that so many people think that they are the best (or even the only) the genre has to offer.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
You would be correct

I'm sorry, but this retro garage rock brings nothing new to the table.

Thats why
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Fixed.

They're not horrible. I don't think they're anything special, but as far as popular music goes, they're pretty good.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
They are what they are. The Black Keys are very easy to listen. They have a good stripped down sound and use the guitar very well. The Stripes come off a little more polished and produce. They are both much better live.
This makes me laugh, simply because Jack White did a Duet with Alicia Keyes(Spelling?) who happens to be black.

Maybe it's just me though.
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
I am big fans of both (Love TWS though) and yes they definitely share similar qualities (qualities that attracted me too them) but the music that comes out is different.

But yes. Both are total awesomeness !
what exactly is new to the table? classical music has survived the times and you still see orchestra's composing. Why shouldn't the same apply to rock n roll? who cares if they aren't anything revolutionary. these bands are probably more creative then the generic suck-metal that you think they should be playing anyways.
Last edited by danleary at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by danleary
what exactly is new to the table? classical music has survived the times and you still see orchestra's composing. Why shouldn't the same apply to rock n roll? who cares if they aren't anything revolutionary. these bands are probably more creative then the generic suck-metal that you think they should be playing anyways.

I don't like metal, but I still think it's sad that music critics blow their loads when talking about these third-rate garage rock bands.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by danleary

I'm sorry to say, but these bands are fairly generic. Garage rock has been around since the 60s and there are people today that pretend like The White Stripes and The Black Keys are best that the genre has to offer. As a fan of garage rock, that bothers me.

And I don't know who claimed to like metal, but nice job making assumptions that you can't back up.
You are right, I am an ass for assuming, I'm sorry. I'm sure if I replaced metal for whatever it is that you feel is truly innovating it would still hold the same meaning. Their music is simple, yes, I won't deny that. They are still creative in the sense that they make their own melodies and rhythms instead of following overly used chord progressions or boring ass eight note patterns like most fairly recent bands, including almost all the stuff on your favorite band list.

It's apples and oranges really, I don't understand why people call these bands horrible when you can apply the same logic to any other band in existence. Close-minded hypocrisy.
Last edited by danleary at Dec 15, 2008,
I don't know if you're talking to me or HiImNewAnd, but I'll answer as if you're addressing me. What I've said twice now in this thread is that these bands don't create their own new melodies and rhythms. There's nothing wrong with that, I enjoy these bands, and I will never be in a musical project as good as either of them, but they aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before.

Again, I don't know if you're talking to me, but as far as my favorite bands list goes, I would be interested to hear what you know about those bands, and how they're "fairly recent" considering I could only count four of them that actually still make music.

I've never said these bands were horrible, just overrated. No big deal. I'm done arguing because this a silly topic, and I'm trying to argue less.
Quote by danleary
You are right, I am an ass for assuming, I'm sorry. I'm sure if I replaced metal for whatever it is that you feel is truly innovating it would still hold the same meaning. Their music is simple, yes, I won't deny that. They are still creative in the sense that they make their own melodies and rhythms instead of following overly used chord progressions or boring ass eight note patterns like most fairly recent bands, including almost all the stuff on your favorite band list.

It's apples and oranges really, I don't understand why people call these bands horrible when you can apply the same logic to any other band in existence. Close-minded hypocrisy.

Actually, I haven't heard anything innovative, that's the problem. It just sickens me that these bands are held up as "saviors of Rock 'n Roll." Rock is dead as a genre, I know this. I like it, but I'd really like to hear a new sound with new instruments. I'll admit, many of the bands I like play simple music as well. I just happen to find the atmosphere of their music more intriguing. I never said anthing about simplicity being a bad thing.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Last edited by HiImKindaNewAnd at Dec 15, 2008,