Fretboard: What is the difference between a maple and rosewood other than cosmetics
I heard that a maple is twangier? I have a rosewood fretboard on my Les Paul copy and it feels alright

Neck: Difference in size and width between a Les Paul and Stratocaster?

Pickups: what are some of your favorite pickups on a stratocaster guitar?
I what to play some blues rock without that super twangy feel
I like a smooth overdriven sound that many blues players have
some purist stated that maple is brighter and rosewood is warmer. but i had both and i can hardly tell the difference, as far as feels goes i like rosewood better. if you like les paul then chances are you'll like rosewood better than maple. thats just my 2 cents.

you'll need a good amp first before the pickups can make any major difference. right now i have the texas special in mine and its sounds a bit darker than my friend's tex mex.
I don't feel like explaining the difference, I've done it enough. Some one else will though. It's a very slight difference and doens't really limit you at all. So pick which ever feels better.

A LP is going to have a fatter, wider neck than a strat.

I love Texas Specials. They would get you that sound, but they are also very expensive.
You might look at Dimarzio velvet pups as well.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
neck was covered, so...

what amp are you using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Maple is a brighter wood. Rosewood is a warmer wood.
When it comes to finishing, maple needs to be finished, when rosewood is a tight enough grain that it doesn't need to be finished. You can pretty much just go by what you think looks more like you. You won't notice the tone change that much. If you ever get into building guitars, Pau Ferro wood has the brightness of maple and the looks of rosewood.
As far as the difference between a Les Paul and Fender fretboard, the radius is the only difference. The standard for Les Paul is a 12" radius I believe (It's more flat) When a standard strat will have 9 1/2 in radius, (a little rounder). Fender also has several other radius choices, when Epiphone/Gibson is pretty set on the 12".

Hope this helps.
I personally think maple is better (as I have the Arctic White Hendrix look Strat), but its purley cosmetic in my opinion.

Strats have thinner, faster necks than LP.s and I find for that good blues crunch, I just play my standard MIM Strat on the neck pickup with a bit of crunchy distrortion to mimic tube distortion.
Maple is brighter, and is almost always lacquered to protect the wood, so it will sometimes feel "sticky" (if it's been done poorly).
If you don't want a twangy sound, don't buy a Strat.
They (usually) have Alder or Ash bodies (which are bright), maple necks (also bright), sometimes have maple fretboards (another level of brightness), and single coil pickups (which add the twang).
Unless you can buy an H/S/S setup Strat (humbucking pickup in the bridge), or unless you're willing to buy and install a "stacked single coil", I'd recommend a Les Paul.

The necks are thicker, but they sound smooth and more bass-driven than a Strat would.
Stevie Ray Vaughn has a very stereotypical Strat tone.
Gary Moore has a fairly high-gain stereotypical Les Paul style tone.

Compare them, and see what you think.
Member of the Laney Cult
personally i think the rosewood looks better on a guitar
because the maple makes it look kinda pale
my amp is a pretty crappy one its a kustom dart 66
similar to the kustom dart10 fx
it has a lot of feedback with my guitar. anything past the halfway point
on the volume knob makes it squeal like hell
Quote by SolKanar77
personally i think the rosewood looks better on a guitar
because the maple makes it look kinda pale
my amp is a pretty crappy one its a kustom dart 66
similar to the kustom dart10 fx
it has a lot of feedback with my guitar. anything past the halfway point
on the volume knob makes it squeal like hell

You might want to get hum-cancelling single coils or humbuckers then, if that bothers you. Normal single coils are known for squealing when you turn up the gain.
Humbuckers were originally made to combat that problem (from what I gather)
Member of the Laney Cult
i either want to get a strat or an acoustic silver creek d 160 from musiciansfriend for 250
i have a deluxe strat with an ebony fingerboard and a standard strat with maple. i really don't notice any tonal difference. i do prefer the maple, but that's just down to cosmetics really.

i have owned a couple of gibson les pauls but have sold them now, couldn't stand the chunky necks.

strat pickups - i have texas specials on the maple strat they are fantastic for the classic strat twangy tone. my deluxe has hot wound samarium cobalt pups, they are pretty good as well.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by SolKanar77
Fretboard: What is the difference between a maple and rosewood other than cosmetics
I heard that a maple is twangier? I have a rosewood fretboard on my Les Paul copy and it feels alright

Neck: Difference in size and width between a Les Paul and Stratocaster?

Pickups: what are some of your favorite pickups on a stratocaster guitar?
I what to play some blues rock without that super twangy feel
I like a smooth overdriven sound that many blues players have

Maple sounds brighter and rosewood darker, but personally I can't hear much of a difference (haven't really compared them side by side yet though)

I think LPs have chunkier necks than Strats

I like any decent sounding single coil. The stock pickups on MIM Strats sound fine to me, nothing special though.

(I don't have very good ears for tone)
Just search in youtube "stratocaster maple rosewood", and there will be video comparing sound on same setting.
youtube is not that great because all those amps are different
you don't know which settings they use and that is something that can greatly alter the sound
Fretboard; I've never heard a difference tbh, go with what feels better. Maple is supposed to be slower, but EVH, EJ and Malmsteen kinda disprove that. Maple is slicker, albeit stickier and it'll take a bit longer to adjust to from rosewood rather than going from rosewood to rosewood.

Neck; If it has a 50's profile, the Les Paul will be a bit chunkier. If it's 60's profile, and we're talking a MIM standard, the strat is going to be about twice the thickness, and I speak from experience there.

Pickups; If your willing to play with your guitars knobs, Hot Noiseless, the same ones Jeff Beck uses. If not, try a set of Vintage Noiseless, used on Clapton strats. If your on a budget, go for the Tex Mex pickups. Not as good, but a hell o a deal for $85.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0