With a cheap apartment, electricity, food, etc.

I'm just thinking some things through. I'd like to get an idea of the cost of living.
very different where you are i guess..however maybe not so much because the uk is more expensive.

for me when i got my first apartment it was all my wages basically. gets cheaper when you get a woman.
Umm. Over hear youd need atleast 500 a month JUST for utilities, and assuming you aren't along (roomates)
however, look at about 1500-2000 a month since you're from newyork.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
Umm. Over hear youd need atleast 500 a month JUST for utilities, and assuming you aren't along (roomates)
however, look at about 1500-2000 a month since you're from newyork.

I don't live in the city. I know I could get an apartment for say, 450-500 a month that's kind of decent. I live kind of near Syracuse.
Hmm..Id like to know the same thing. Im going to be in the south part of FL if any of my fellow Floridians wanna help me out
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
im in aus, i pay $120/pw rent (240total), i split everything with my room mate, my advice, get someone to live with that you trust, do not get anyone that will drive you insane.

i spent about 700 a month on food, bills, rent etc.
Quote by Life Lease
With a cheap apartment, electricity, food, etc.

I'm just thinking some things through. I'd like to get an idea of the cost of living.

Depends on where you live, how cheap "cheap" is to you (aka whether you mind sub-human conditions or not), what kind of food you eat, and how entertained you want to be.

My apartment alone is $1200. That's not including any kind of electricity bill, internet, telephone, television, food, video games, consoles, computer parts, laundry, gas bill, car repairs or anything else.

Get a good job before you try it.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask how much it costs, you're not ready. The average age of someone who moves out of their parents house used to be 18 back a long time ago. Today it's about 24.

Good luck.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
I live in a different country but i'll tell you anyway

I live in the bottom floor of a 30s council house with my brother. Two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom, alright garden. I pay £250 a month in rent, probably about 30 pounds for electricity and maybe like 10-20 pounds a week on food. (that's two people though).

That's pretty good compared to most people at my uni,

Going out is the most expensive part, lol.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by HardAttack
Depends on where you live, how cheap "cheap" is to you (aka whether you mind sub-human conditions or not), what kind of food you eat, and how entertained you want to be.

My apartment alone is $1200. That's not including any kind of electricity bill, internet, telephone, television, food, video games, consoles, computer parts, laundry, gas bill, car repairs or anything else.

Get a good job before you try it.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask how much it costs, you're not ready. The average age of someone who moves out of their parents house used to be 18 back a long time ago. Today it's about 24.

Good luck.

DAM YOUR PLACE IS EXPENSIVE

i only cough up 550 a month
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
roommates will lessen the financial blow
as will living in the midwest
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by Life Lease
I don't live in the city. I know I could get an apartment for say, 450-500 a month that's kind of decent. I live kind of near Syracuse.

That sounds about right. I mean Syracuse isn't that nice of a place. I can get an apartment in Houston that is in a safe part of town for 450? Plus utilities = 600(including phone and internet). Then 100-150 for food, rest for miscellaneous, but thats living day to day man. Not fun at all.

On the note of phone. Don't get a landline, just use your cellphone and you'll be fine. Um.. don't plan on eating out much/having a girlfriend... what else.... oh yeah, don't plan on buying too many guitar accessories.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
If you have to ask, it seems like you've got a ways to go. It's hard to say though, it really depends on where you live and what you want.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Why don't you look up apartments and calculate the costs yourself? No one here knows what the cost of living will be in your area unless they live their, fool.
My place doesn't have any laundry or a dish washer. The stove's bottom heating element burned out and started a fire a month or two ago, and they didn't repair it for a month, and that's illegal. They don't allow pets, but some new guy upstairs has a dog, and everyone else has a cat. The girl next door is a ***** who has two different kids from two different guys, and she dumps them on her mom to take care of while she goes out and parties and gets knocked up some more, so I hear crying all day and I see a bunch of toys and shit laying in and around the house at night.

God kill me.

I live in NH, btw. Very small town, nowhere near anything good. Takes about 30 minutes to get to a mall, a beach, or anything else of interest. The best thing near me is a hospital. About two minutes away.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
When I started on my own, I was paying 800 a month for rent, 600 for utilities and bills (phone internet ect.) then 400 for groceries. So all in all 1800 a month.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
I'm living in Boston as an off-campus college student. I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 other people.

542.50 monthly rent with cable/internet around 16 for cable/internet and 46 for electricity.

I buy my food from the Asian market, which saves me a shitload of money. On average per week, that's 25 bucks for food including groceries and restaurants.

Then there's miscellaneous stuff. Metro tickets, school stuff, random stuff. About maybe 20 bucks per month.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yes, the prices are nice when you get to split the cost with roommates. Sucks for the guy who wants to live alone.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
I spend $400 on rent, around $50 on utilities and $20-$30 a week on groceries. The rent and utilities are split between five people and we live in a medium sized house. I guess I spend about $100 at the most on other miscellaneous things.
3 dollars and 68 cents

I'm a good haggler.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by HardAttack
Yes, the prices are nice when you get to split the cost with roommates. Sucks for the guy who wants to live alone.

It does suck for me...I have to wait an extra two weeks to get something that I want
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by chrisa123
When I started on my own, I was paying 800 a month for rent, 600 for utilities and bills (phone internet ect.) then 400 for groceries. So all in all 1800 a month.

400 a month for groceries for one person is a ton
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Well, the main thing I guess I'm asking is, how much is food/electricity generally? I know I can calculate the rent, but that's not so easy.
Quote by Life Lease
Well, the main thing I guess I'm asking is, how much is food/electricity generally? I know I can calculate the rent, but that's not so easy.

You can't really do that either.

Food: 3 meals a day strict? Snacking? What kind of food? Microwave? Frozen? Eating out?

Electricity: How many appliances are you running? How much power do they require? Computer? Fridge? Stove? Television? Toaster? XBox?

There are a lot of variables. Ask your parents what it costs them, cut it in half. That's probably about what you take up, maybe a little bit more.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Tedward
what kind of world do we live in where living has a cost?

Well, think about it this way. In order to live on my own with my current job as a pharmacist technician at a semi-local walmart, making 8.70 an hour, I'd have to work 40 hours a week. 24x7=168. 40/168=.238. .238x100= 23.8% of my time is dedicated to simply working enough to live, if I decided to go that route.

Right now I work 23 hours a week, and drive an hour and half every day, one way, to go to school. 3 days a week I leave my house at 8 am and get home at 10 pm. The other 2, I leave at 8 and get home at 5. I work 9-6 on saturdays. Sundays are my only days off. I drive in total, roughly 3 hours a day, 250 bucks a month in gas. (was 350 at the end of summer). I'm a full time college student, majoring in classical guitar. My dream is to go to berklee. I work, because even though my father made 140k last year, and 100k on average, and my mother is a nurse, they still don't have enough money to help with anything more than food, which I am grateful for. So, the only federal aid I got, was a loan with 6.8% interest. I pay my parents to use their van.

(I also just learned that nothing I'm taking at this college will transfer to Berklee, so other than the basic music knowledge and life experiences I'm gaining, this is a huge waste of time. I'd love to really just move out completely and live on my own for a year, and become independent so I can mooch off the system like everyone else at this college. I know one girl who, after scholarship refunds and state aide, gets 5k back JUST TO GO TO SCHOOL. That's almost my tuition. It's ridiculous.)

Quote by HardAttack
You can't really do that either.

Food: 3 meals a day strict? Snacking? What kind of food? Microwave? Frozen? Eating out?

Electricity: How many appliances are you running? How much power do they require? Computer? Fridge? Stove? Television? Toaster? XBox?

There are a lot of variables. Ask your parents what it costs them, cut it in half. That's probably about what you take up, maybe a little bit more.

The only thing I can see myself using appliance wise would be my computer, a small fridge, a micro wave, you know, the basics. I wouldn't be using any tvs or anything like that. The only leisure thing I really use is my computer.

PS: I'm being a whiny bitch tonight, I know. Kids in Africa starving, yada yada yada. Point is, I'd be better off poor with the way federal aid works.
Last edited by Life Lease at Nov 2, 2008,
Quote by Tedward
what kind of world do we live in where living has a cost?

That is the most hippy thing I've heard all week.

Not a compliment, btw.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
That is the most hippy thing I've heard all week.

Not a compliment, btw.

sorry i was listening to Meshuggah when i wrote it

true though
Quote by Patty-cakez
are there apartments in canada? o.o

I'm sure there is. I live in the US though.