Well, I love my LP to death, but... the neck isn't very fast and its really not suited very well for shred. Im looking for something with a lightening fast neck, with some screaming pickups. It doesnt have to be very versatile, just needs to be able to play shred and metal fine, I'll have my LP for everything else. Any suggestions? My price range could be up to around $1200 but preferably around 800ish. So far I have looked into schecter hellraisers, Ibanez S series, esp ltd HM-1000 and Jackson dkmg. any comments?
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
HSS Strat? If a Strat's good enough for Malmsteen's shredding it's good enough for anyone's shredding and the humbucker in the HSS makes it suitable for metal.
Sorry, no strats.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
well for metal any ML is solid
you can get the black one w/ the taped pickup for like 550 i think
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Ibanez S for the win, beautiful looks, killer sound and quite versatile, I say that's your best choice
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
get an sl3 used
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by drewsta42
Got reasons?

I just have never liked anything that fender made.

Anyways, right now im probably leaning towards the MH-1000, its just so beautiful. Almost as beatiful as the S2170, but it has better pickups, a thru-neck and costs less.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
The schecter will have a thicker, rounder neck than the others, and i think LTDs have thicker necks than ibanez and jackson, but still not as thick as schecter.
all good shred guitars for the money, go test them out and then decide on quality, feel, sound and price. EMG or Duncan actives would be good.
Quote by Tallyho
The schecter will have a thicker, rounder neck than the others, and i think LTDs have thicker necks than ibanez and jackson, but still not as thick as schecter.

LTD`s do have thicker necks, they feel alot like my BC Rich necks, which i LOVE, i HATE Ibanez necks there so thin, and just awful feeling, i like a neck with some chunk, Jacksons are alright but still too thin, i`d go with a BCR neck anyday but the ESP/LTD necks are a close 2nd.

http://www.bcrich.com/asm_pro.html

that looks like a Shred master, i`ve never played one though.

http://www.bcrich.com/v_kk_signature.html

The access to the upper frets is AMAZING on this guitar, which would make it a very fast guitar, like my buddy said b4, there all neck no body to get in the way.
Quote by macjac
all good shred guitars for the money, go test them out and then decide on quality, feel, sound and price. EMG or Duncan actives would be good.

+9000000000000000000

We can sit here and preach all day about the guitars that WE like, but you'll have to go try them all out to see which one you like the most.

And Duncans or EMGs are also a plus as well
Quote by bombsquadjunky
+9000000000000000000

We can sit here and preach all day about the guitars that WE like, but you'll have to go try them all out to see which one you like the most.

And Duncans or EMGs are also a plus as well

Thats the problem, there are no guitar stores anywhere within a hundred miles of me that have any of these guitars. The Guitar center here really only hase fender and gibson, its sad, they only have like 4 ibanez.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
What if I decide to go the the route of a nice effects pedal, what would you reccomend?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by pwrmax
HSS Strat? If a Strat's good enough for Malmsteen's shredding it's good enough for anyone's shredding and the humbucker in the HSS makes it suitable for metal.

Malmsteen's strat was scalloped, so it was a hell of a lot faster than a standard strat.
And if you think a strat needs a 'bucker for metal, Malmsteen's had low output dimarzio single coils. Look it up.

I say go with the Ibanez S Series; alongside the JS series they're the best superstrats there are. Properly shred-orientated and refreshingly free of ugly pointy horns. The only guitar that can pull off pointy horns is an SG. But as has already been stated, you have a shortlist of high-quality guitars and when reccomending one over another, it will be strictly personal preference. The sounds are less important, and easily modified with a pickup swap. The key point when buying a guitar is
what suits you and your preferences. I.E. I like large frets and thin necks, but RG necks suck for me because of the nasty flat radius and sheer width. Playability is basically all that matters when choosing a guitar, so don't compromise on it.
S series guitars are good for shread and I think they are one of the most fun guitars I have ever played
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Ok, I decided against the jackson and schecter. Now, Ibanez S620 vs LTD MH-1000 (The one with EMGs, or the SD)
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Last edited by Wrathlegion at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by Wrathlegion
Thats the problem, there are no guitar stores anywhere within a hundred miles of me that have any of these guitars. The Guitar center here really only hase fender and gibson, its sad, they only have like 4 ibanez.

Well here lies the problem I suppose. You could try to base on on reviews of websites. Obviously if it has a good rating, it's not going to disappoint. What I'm currently doing is looking at guitars that I would want, finding how well they're rated, and reading the lowest ratings first to see what people didn't like about it to see if it would indeed fit me, and was still a good buy, etc. However, there's no real substitute for actually trying a guitar, and shame on Guitar Center for not carrying those guitars. This is only one suggestion, and while I don't necessarily advocate it, I guess it might be your best bet. Or like someone else said, you could build one.
On pickups, I can't really think of any shredder that uses actives (save for Rusty Cooley...) and there are a few who use Les Pauls, most prominently Buckethead. His Les Paul is also a bit different from a Standard in that it has 24 frets and it's an ebony fingerboard, but I have no idea how "fast" it is.

I think my Epi's neck is plenty fast enough, but...

Maybe look into an Ibanez PGM301 if you can find one - I recall they go for around that price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I think I might be better off sticking with my LP, and do a little more tweaking of the action. Now what about some multi-effects. Im thinking pocket POD, or podxt live. From my point of view, they are made by the same company, so a lot of it has to be the same, and the pocket pod is a ton cheaper. I know a lot of people dont like it, but I kinda do... thoughts?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase