So I've been using this piece of crap Ashly mixer (if you can even call it that) to record my bands songs and I can't take it anymore. I need a real one, but I'm very very short on money considering the ridiculous amounts of speakers and amplifiers I've been buying for my guitar.
So to the point...

What's the best mixer (w/ USB or some computer connection output) that I can get for less than $200 - $250? Channels are not priority, I'm looking more for quality, but channels play a little roll (no less than 6)
Music: Alternative/Hard Rock/Guitar Virtuoso
Current Budget: $300
Gear:
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking VK 100 Amplifier
Boss/DOD Effects Pedals
Does it really have to be USB? Do you have some kind of interface for running ProTools or Logic (or w/e you're using)?

If you don't need USB, I would look into Mackies VLZ3 series. Anything by Mackie is a great product, and the VLZ3 has a lot of bang for your buck.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Well the main deal is being able to hook this baby up to a computer. Are there other ways without USB that has decent quality?

I'll look into that one though, thanks man
Gear:
Boss/DOD Effects Pedals
The Mackie Onyx is definitely the best mixer on the market with a USB interface. Without a doubt. I've got a 12 channel and it's fulfilled every need I have. It's got four XLR and eight quarter inch inputs, plus quarter inch, analog, bus, and USB outputs. The USB is a firewire port, so you'll have to get a firewire card.

The 12 channel runs around $500 and
sorry didnt finish.

but yea the 12 is $500 plus a pretty hefty amount for the card but buying them together cuts the price a lot. I actually got both on ebay for $285, great condition
that was a pretty lucky buy though
good luck
alright thanks a lot. Mackie is definately up there in my choices now
Gear:
Boss/DOD Effects Pedals
Is it for PC recording? cos if so you might wanna look into a multi channel interface like the Presonus Fire Studio. It is 8 hcannels, but it won't mix them all like a mixer will so you'll have all the channels seperately recorded on your PC so you'll have much more control over the editing, as you'll be able to edit each instrument individually.
yes it is for PC recording. MY biggest question is how can you record all the tracks to a computer at once without a USB then?
Gear:
Boss/DOD Effects Pedals
Quote by Stumpflower
yes it is for PC recording. MY biggest question is how can you record all the tracks to a computer at once without a USB then?

Firewire?
+1 on firewire
It's very easy to install a card on a desktop if you don't have one there already and most USB interfaces mix down the inputs making the inputs mostly useless IMO.

With firewire most interfaces will send all the inputs to multiple tracks on the computer so you can adjust them secretly after recording....quite important when working with drums...
yea with a usb mixer it might have 100+ channels, but in the end when it gets to the computer, every single one of those tracks are going to mixed down to a single stereo track so you're not left with much flexibility. This is just fine if you're only recording one instrument at a time tho.

with most firewire interfaces tho, you can usually get up to 16 different channels going recording EACH to their own track.

meaning you could record a 8 mic set drum kit. a bass, 2 guitars, keyboards in stereo a singer and 2 backup singers all at once.. all to their own track.

let the mixing begin!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.