Would it be alright to put 21 fret neck on a body that was originally 22 frets... it is a stratocastor... my friend is customizing an older strat...
RAWWBERRY! MADE WITH LIGHTNING...REAL LIGHTNING
Not unless the scales of the necks are proportionate. Is this a Strat neck you're thinking of attaching?
yes scalloped strat neck if that makes a difference
Quote by Tallyho
I'm pretty sure that would throw off the fret intonation.

So by moving the saddles that'll fix that??
I don't think the saddles can be adjusted to that degree but if the new neck has a slightly shorter scale than the old one then I believe it would be possible.
Just make sure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. The neck could be a 28" scale with 15 frets and it would work as long as this is true.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Do the scale thing. Measure your scale length on the new neck and say its 24 inches, thats the length your bridge saddles should be away from the nut. So place your neck in the correct possition, you will find that you may have to route the neck pockt further towards the bridge.
Quote by Tallyho
I'm pretty sure that would throw off the fret intonation.

Not if the scale lengths are the same.

Quote by pwrmax
I don't think the saddles can be adjusted to that degree but if the new neck has a slightly shorter scale than the old one then I believe it would be possible.

If the scale length was shorter, wouldn't the bridge need to be moved?

A 21 fret neck should fit fine as long as the scale length is the same. This, however, is assuming that the 22nd fret is an overhang as per fender etc. If not (like gibson) then the bridge may need moving...

So considering you've said it's a strat, I'm going to say yes.

Quote by DuctTapeNinja
Just make sure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. The neck could be a 28" scale with 15 frets and it would work as long as this is true.

Use this to check the scale lengths