So im in a band with a few friends and are drummer (whose one of my best friends) needs some more practice. He is kindof sloppy and has trouble keeping time. But the thing is is I dont know how i should tell him he needs to get better. I know he would not take it very well if i went straight up and told him and I dont want him to be mad at me. So whats the best way to tell him??
you could record a preformance of you guys... then replay it and let him hear for himself... or pay someone else to tell him
look at him and say your playing has sounded sloppy lately, you need to tighten it back up. if he has a bitch fit about it, tell him to quit his bitchin and hit the skins more often
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Do a song that will outline his mistakes and let him understand.
dont dick around, itll make it hurt worse for him when u have to tell him, tell him to start practicing more, plain and simple, maybe just you and him jam to slower songs and speeding up as you go along, kinda like "tutor" if you will, but dont delay untill you have gig and end up having to throw him outa the band, that would be way worse than just telling him to practice more, cheers
Dude if ur leading a band u gotta learn to be a hard ass. If one person sucks it up cuz theyre lazy and wont practice then they f*ck up the rest of the band. Every member is crucial. Go up to him individually and tell him "Hey man, I think you need to work on your part in the songs. You're sounding a lil rusty and its really messing with our timing."
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

if you ever criticize each other (say, after rehearsing a song) you can tell him it needs to be tightened... if he's practicing these songs at home, chances are they'll begin to tighten up, as well as the rest of his playing

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
during rehearsal do a song that you know he will have trouble doing well, then stop it and say that something doesn't feel right, and tell everybody to tighten it up and make it cleaner, look at him when you do, but not too blatantly, do that a few times during rehearsal, suggesting that someone is being a little too sloppy, and if he doesn't get that then just tell him straight up
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by r3conmarine90
Dude if ur leading a band u gotta learn to be a hard ass. If one person sucks it up cuz theyre lazy and wont practice then they f*ck up the rest of the band. Every member is crucial. Go up to him individually and tell him "Hey man, I think you need to work on your part in the songs. You're sounding a lil rusty and its really messing with our timing."

+1. Leading a band does indeed suck shit, but someone has to.

As someone else mentioned, it's gonna hurt him more the longer you keep it from him.
My advice is to talk to him as soon as possible. I like the recording idea but that might be a bit of a trouble to carry out. Either way, just let him know he needs to get his stuff together. Don't be too blunt about it, or he might just throw a hissy fit. xD. In that case though, just get a new drummer. That's what I did.
Quote by r3conmarine90
... Every member is crucial. Go up to him individually and tell him "Hey man, I think you need to work on your part in the songs. You're sounding a lil rusty and its really messing with our timing."

At the same time, like training a dog, you need to praise him when he does things right.
Quote by operation ktulu
look at him and say your playing has sounded sloppy lately, you need to tighten it back up. if he has a bitch fit about it, tell him to quit his bitchin and hit the skins more often

This
93% of teenagers listen to rap music,if you are part of the 7% who listen to good music, put this in your siggy
Well if his timing is the problem, maybe you could try this. Play one of your songs. Then make sure everyone is doing the correct timing. If he's doing the wrong timing, but everyone else is doing it right, he'll probably notice that he's off timing. So he'll pause and wait for an opportunity to start playing again. Then he'll mess up again. Then another mistake. Until he gets the idea that he really needs to fix himself. Don't follow his wrong timing. Follow the correct timing and let him keep up.
Instead of saying 'you need to practice more' try saying 'we need to practice more' then tell everyone to practice more at home. Hopefully, if the drummer thinks everyone else is putting in extra time practicing, maybe he will too.
In rehearsals, if he's getting the timing wrong, tell him he's getting the timing wrong and possibly show him how the timing should go, if he takes offence at it, calmly ask him if he'd rather you didn't tell him when he's getting the timing wrong and didn't try to help him get it right.
Offer to practice with him more so he won't have to do it alone n also you can help him if he isn't getin somethin
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
tell his sloppy ass to play some Cynic or Nile....he will improve times ten thousand or quit at drums...
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
When you have your next band practice, tell everyone in the band to bring something new to the table. This will force him to play to come up with something.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Have things to practice on each session, and get into the habit of discussing how it went. Maybe start with something that won't relate to sloppy timing, but if you've got him used to a system where everyone does a bit of constructive crit after each time you play together then maybe he won't take it so hard.
If you think he might take it badly, maybe go for 'our' timing is a bit off, and just say that seeing as how you're all a bit dodgy he's gotta be the leader for this one and help everyone out. Make it more of a responsibility than a criticism.
Quote by r3conmarine90

Yeah, do this, but also compliment him on something that he did well too, like a good idea for some improv. or whatever the hell he does well.