Hey! So I'm planning on getting a '72 Tele Deluxe, maybe. As I understand it, the Fender Wide Range Pickups are over-sized. If I chose to switch out the stock pups with others, than I simply would get a proper-sized pick guard from warmoth.com. However, I have a problem. If I put in the stock pickups, I would still want the "wide range" covers. How would this work if the pups were "standard" sized and everything? Would I need to get a custom made cover?

Also, something that bothered me . . . Since the Fender Wide Range are "wider" would regular-sized pups be too small for the strings? I'm really confuzzled.
What's "oversized" about the pickups in that guitar?

Isn't that the one that has humbuckers with three pole pieces on each side? If so, I'm pretty sure they're the same size as a standard humbucker with cover.

Is there some documentation that calls them oversized?
I had a '72 and the pickups were the regular size of any standard humbucker with a cover on it, the only thing diffrent were the 3 and 3 staggard exposed poles but that had nothing to do with the size. Maybe i'm wrong because I didn't dare swich out those pickups (it was a orignal) but honestly I don't think there is a size diffrence
It's true. The term "wide range" refers to the staggered 3/3 pole pieces. Not even the Fender site says anything about them being non-standard in size.

You could put any standard size humbuckers in that guitar.
Quote by Swap-Meet
if you haven't bought the guitar why would you wanna switch the pups out already?

the 72 deluxe's pups are pretty good imo

I'm not saying I would. I would just be interested in how it's done. And I have a friend who wants to switch out his pups, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone.
I called Warmoth and, according to them, the Fender humbucker is actually larger than a standard Gibson humbucker.

Thay also told me that their Warmoth pickguard only matches their Warmoth bodies, that it doesn't line up on a Fender body.
Last edited by carpepax at Nov 3, 2008,
I beleive that you have to look for F spaced humbuckers if you want replacements. The distance between the poles is greater on the Fender ones. due to the spacing of the strings.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
I beleive that you have to look for F spaced humbuckers if you want replacements. The distance between the poles is greater on the Fender ones. due to the spacing of the strings.

we have a winner.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
THESE PICKUPS ARE NOT THE SAME SIZE AS STANDARD HUMBUCKERS!! They are slightly larger and a regular humbucker will not fit in the pickguard. You have three options here - First, those pickups are very, very nice when you use 500k pots with them. It really opens up the voice. Second, you can get a different pickguard that Warmoth and Terrapin makes for these and then you can use whatever standard pickup you want. Third, Rio Grande makes a pickup just for these guitars that really kick butt. They are the same size as the Wide Range and will drop right in with the four bolt mount just like the Wide Range.

I have this guitar and they are fantastic.