And I'm not sure if this was just from old age or the amp's fault.

I was just playing on the distortion channel of my Peavey Valveking with the volume on about 3 when suddenly, there's a cut in volume, I immediately realise and go and check the back of my amp! I see that one tube is glowing furiously while the other is not glowing at all, when I leaned closer to the tubes, I could smell an off burning smell and the tube that was still alive looked pretty pushed and pissed off (perhaps the death of the first tube left it to power the amp on its own?). So is this normal? I know tubes can die anytime but I haven't heard of the remaining tube going really bright and the tube chassis smelling bad.

So, is this a normal occurence or is there a fault in the amp?
How long do you have the amp?

Tubes are pretty unpredictable. They die early, or they work for over 3 years. But as you said it smelled like something burned. That can mean several things:
- the tube looses vacuum and literally burned out (you can check for this failure by looking if the silver top has turned white)
- check if the lable is discollored. If it is, that means it was overheated and you should bias the amp again.
- there will (could) be burn marks on the tube sockets. Remove it befor putting in other tubes.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
How long do you have the amp?

Tubes are pretty unpredictable. They die early, or they work for over 3 years. But as you said it smelled like something burned. That can mean several things:
- the tube looses vacuum and literally burned out (you can check for this failure by looking if the silver top has turned white)
- check if the lable is discollored. If it is, that means it was overheated and you should bias the amp again.
- there will (could) be burn marks on the tube sockets. Remove it befor putting in other tubes.

I bought it used from a guy who had previously owned it for 2 years so I guess it was overdue for a retubing anyway.

I just checked and it looks like it did burn out, but I don't get why the other tube went crazy bright after the first died, I suppose it was carrying the entire amp with all its power then.

Anyway, where would I be able to purchase tubes in Sydney?

Thanks for your help
Buy them online. Im sure there are companies shipping to AUS.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Then i'd recommend you to go with your amp to a store where they can professionally check if the bias is ok and give it a retube.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl