Hey there!

Was just wondering, will a Tubescreamer boost my sound through the distortion channel of my Cube 60, or turn it into an ugly fuzzy (albiet louder) mess like my Boss OS2 does?

I've been thinking about picking up a stompbox to boost my sound for leads, and I'd rather go this way than via a volume pedal, as the TS9 will come in handy when I put together enough disposable income for a nice tube amp somewhere down the line.
It'll probably just make your amp clip. Put all you money towards that nice tube amp.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
The clue is in the name TUBE screamer! Makes the TUBES scream! It wont sound anywhere near as good on a solid state however it would probably sound better than the boss pedal.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
i use a TS on my solidstate.. not so much for boosting, but it does tighten up the gain channel.

these pedals ARE designed for tube amps (hence TUBEscreamer) but they will change the dynamics up a bit on a solidstate.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If you play with a lot of distortion, the booster pedal will not be of much use unless you get an amp with an effects loop because if you place it in front of the amp, it will just be like adding another gain stage whereas if you have it in the loop it will boost the overall volume.
Will work but not as well as it would in a tube amp. Why don't you try an eq pedal instead? It should have a level option that you can raise the signal volume, plus it allows u to customize your lead tone.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by noj
will a Tubescreamer boost my sound through the distortion channel of my Cube 60, or turn it into an ugly fuzzy (albiet louder) mess like my Boss OS2 does?

No it wont boost, yes it will sound ugly.
Quote by matt92l
The clue is in the name TUBE screamer! Makes the TUBES scream! It wont sound anywhere near as good on a solid state however it would probably sound better than the boss pedal.

not necessarily; as much as everyone here ignorantly yells "tubescreamers are the best" and "boss distortion and overdrive sucks" at any given opportunity, tubescreamers will actually sound just as crap as any boss overdrive if used as distortion into a clean amp or boosting solid state/digital overdrive.

basically, no, do not bother getting a tubescreamer when you have a cube. through a clean setting it will sound sterile and buzzy, and if used as a boost you'll get preamp clipping, and a generally mushy sloppy distorted tone.

the OS2 is perfectly acceptable as a boost for when you do get a tube amp, too - i'd keep it aside for future use even though it's pretty useless to you at the moment.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by bogg808
The eq will not be of much use unless he has an effects loop.

Ah true...

Had he been using a distortion pedal then it would've solved his problems. I guess he should stick to the TubeScreamer.

Anyway, TS says he/she wants to eventually buy a tube amp, which means that he'll be able to use the pedal with it anyway. Definitely not a waste of money in that case.

EDIT: Blompcube brought up a good point, however i still think that if used discreetly/lightly it should do the job.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Will work but not as well as it would in a tube amp. Why don't you try an eq pedal instead? It should have a level option that you can raise the signal volume, plus it allows u to customize your lead tone.

Nah an eq wont do anything on a solidstate

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
oh a cube.

my bad i thought he had a generic solid state amp.

cubes dont' really need boosting, some of the models on there should have more than enough gain without it.

My solidstate amp is a Kustom KGA 65, which seems to take a boost decently. another amp i've tried boosting before with an overdrive was a Sunn Alpha 212. sounded magnificent!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
oh a cube.

my bad i thought he had a generic solid state amp.

cubes dont' really need boosting, some of the models on there should have more than enough gain without it.

I think the problem really is that he wants more gain and volume for solo tones, but even with a footswitch you can't do this on a cube, since it only allows you to switch between clean and lead channels, which isn't really much use.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
I think the problem really is that he wants more gain and volume for solo tones, but even with a footswitch you can't do this on a cube, since it only allows you to switch between clean and lead channels, which isn't really much use.

This, very much so.

I do my best to manage dynamics with my guitar (Epi G400), but I'd like to be able to just stomp on something instead of faffing about between the neck and bridge pups so much. I play pretty much anything, although the Cube does do metal a lot better than it does anything else. The clean channel handles the OS2 nicely enough, although I'm betting if I run another distortion pedal along the chain into the clean, it'll sound the same as the one pedal into the distorted channel. And no, my amp doesn't have an effects loop

The reason I'm looking for pedal options instead of saving up for a new amp is that, whereas a pedal might run up to £100 max, I'm not planning on buying a new amp unless I can afford to drop serious money into a properly decent one. That won't be for a couple of years, i.e after I graduate and get a job and actually manage to clear my overdraft.
The points about making the amp clip is true, however the whole thing about TS being for tubes is simply false. They are made to emulate the natural clipping of poweramp valves. It may sound much better on valve amps, but thats because clipping on them sounds good, not harsh like on transistors, its a misconception thats grown that they are designed for valve amps.
If you want to try a boost pedal to lift the volume for solos, you could try a MI Audio Boost 'N' Buff or a BBE Boosta Grande.
It's amazing how much people talk about things they know nothing about.

An EQ won't do anything on a solid state? Wtf, where do you guys get this kind of thing from?

Since when did you need a tube amp to use a tubescreamer? And please don't tell me that a tubescreamer's purpose is to drive an already overdriven amp, no it's not, an overdrive and clean boost are not the same thing, tubescreamers are not nearly transparent enough to function as a GOOD clean boost. I would never put a tubescreamer in front of a good tube cranked tube amp, because I'd rather hear the the tone of the amp than a $200 pedal. The point of the tubescreamer is to get "tube-like" overdrive at low volumes, and maybe to give more cut to leads with their mid spike.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by al112987
It's amazing how much people talk about things they know nothing about.

An EQ won't do anything on a solid state? Wtf, where do you guys get this kind of thing from?

Since when did you need a tube amp to use a tubescreamer? And please don't tell me that a tubescreamer's purpose is to drive an already overdriven amp, no it's not, an overdrive and clean boost are not the same thing, tubescreamers are not nearly transparent enough to function as a GOOD clean boost. I would never put a tubescreamer in front of a good tube cranked tube amp, because I'd rather hear the the tone of the amp than a $200 pedal. The point of the tubescreamer is to get "tube-like" overdrive at low volumes, and maybe to give more cut to leads with their mid spike.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to amps. But even I wanted to shout bullshit when I saw that comment lol. At least I'm not crazy.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
no you're not crazy, I've seen a lot of statements like that thrown around like they're fact.

people act as if solid state amps are not amps at all and somehow do not behave like amps because they use transistors rather than tubes. thing is 80% of the people spewing such nonsense would not be able to pick out a good tube amp and good solid state amp in a blind listening test.
Quote by al112987
no you're not crazy, I've seen a lot of statements like that thrown around like they're fact.

people act as if solid state amps are not amps at all and somehow do not behave like amps because they use transistors rather than tubes. thing is 80% of the people spewing such nonsense would not be able to pick out a good tube amp and good solid state amp in a blind listening test.

To be fair though, it's hard to detect the dynamics when you're not playing yourself. I think a blind playing test would separate the mice from the men.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
let me rephrase then to make it a bit more relevant, for people saying using a tubescreamer on a solid state amp would sound like an ugly fizzy mess. You're right, the dynamics of a solid state amp will not be the same, but tonewise, I bet that 8/10 or more would not be able to tell the difference between a solid state amp with a ts-808 in front of it and a tube amp with a ts-808 in front of it. Because I've never stopped reading how many people have been saying that tubescreamers are "not made to be used with solid state amps."

$20 says that if I were to stick my TS in front of my JTM45, I could do the same with my Marshall AVT (widely accepted around here as almost as crappy as the MG series), play the exact same lick twice and at least half of these people saying "it'll sound like crap", will not be able to tell which is which.

I see way too much unwarranted amp bashing, which is a lot of times uninformed. That is my big issue.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 3, 2008,
If you use it like a distortion pedal I agree 100%, if you use it as a boost (which is how I like the TS) then you'll probably be able to tell the difference. I agree the mid hump is annoying, but I custom built mine with the mid hump reduced and a few other choice mods. It's more open and flatter sounding now, but still has that bit of compression that I dig.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
OD pedals can most certainely boost a SS amp. My Digitech Bad Monkey OD boosts the hell out of my Cube 60 and my old Randall RG-25R. Both sound great with OD Pedals.
the tube screamer is made to add tasteful diode clipping to a smoothly distorted tube amp. you already have all diode clippping no 12ax7 ecc83 or anything. i do not suggest tubescreamer.