Hey guys,

I'm going to have a bass cabinet pretty soon, and I don't want to mess it up - is there a certain type of cable I should use to connect the cabinet to the amplifier? Is a regular instrument cable enough, or will something get damaged?

Thanks
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Quote by bombsquadjunky
A regular 1/4" plug instrument cable should do fine. You've got nothing to worry about there

Don't listen to this guy.

You need special "speaker" cable. For output upto 300W jack to jack cable will be okay. Over 300W and you should be looking at using Spekon connectors if you amp/cab offers it.

Quote by Ampeg Website
Q10) Can I use an instrument cable (shielded) to connect my amp to my speakers?
No. Using instrument cable to hook up your speakers can cause intermittent power loss, cause your amp to oscillate and damage the amp and/or your speakers. Please use 18 gauge cable or heavier (16, 14, or 12).

The guy above needs to keep his trap shut when he doesn't know sweet FA about what he's talking about.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Nov 3, 2008,
My amp is an Ashdown MAG 600, and the cabinet is a MAG 410T. At 8 ohms, the cab should be running at about 300 Watts, so that should work - I don't think the MAG line has a Speakon jack. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks
Last edited by DJbonedog at Nov 3, 2008,
Yeah. Buy a speaker cable.

Buy a speaker cable.

Buy a speaker cable.

Buy a speaker cable.

Buy a speaker cable.

And if I didn't mention, buy a speaker cable.

And if anybody, ANYBODY, ANYBODY tells you different, they're a wrong idiot. Per-i-fucking-od.

I'm making myself perfectly clear here.

Speakon's great, and it's meant for 100% connectivity. However, I got a Speakon stuck in my SWR.... not cool!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have a horrible feeling that thefitz is on something.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Being in class listening to some toothless old Polish man explain Huffman codes after getting decimated on a midterm I didn't study for is enough to get me on something.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
As thefitz says buy a speaker cable.
The simple thing to remember is instrument leads/cables just like TV aerials carry signal therefore need screening, speaker cables carry power the same as mains cable.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by thefitz
Being in class listening to some toothless old Polish man explain Huffman codes after getting decimated on a midterm I didn't study for is enough to get me on something.

don't mind fitzy, too much cheese makes him antsy.

use Speakon. everyone who uses cabinets I know swears by them.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by DJbonedog
My amp is an Ashdown MAG 600, and the cabinet is a MAG 410T ... I don't think the MAG line has a Speakon jack.

The amplifier doesn't have a Speakon connector; the cabinet may have one.

Thanks a lot guys, that answers my question perfectly

Cheers
Speakons became necessesary due to the ever increasing output of amplifiers making standard jack plugs and cannons unsafe due to the fact that there were exposed live terminals on them.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I just got a Bugera 333xl head and a Behringer 400 watt BG412S Ultrastack. My problem is that the head will turn on and all of the lights go one, but there's no sound coming from my cabinet. I do not have a speaker cable i'm using an instrument cable to connect the head to the cabinet. I know everyone says to use a speaker cable, but i thought that if u used an instrument cable it should still work, but there isn't a single sound coming from my cab. I don't know if there's something wrong with the head or the cab or what, but it's pissing me off. I've been waiting to get this for forever and i'm so pissed that it doesn't work. Plus, i've been searching for speaker cables, but i can't find them anywhere i've tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart... are most speaker cables bought online then?
Please HELP!!!
Quote by thefitz

I CAN"T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU JUST SAID
Try adding more delay.
Quote by JoeSatriani#9
I just got a Bugera 333xl head and a Behringer 400 watt BG412S Ultrastack. My problem is that the head will turn on and all of the lights go one, but there's no sound coming from my cabinet. I do not have a speaker cable i'm using an instrument cable to connect the head to the cabinet. I know everyone says to use a speaker cable, but i thought that if u used an instrument cable it should still work, but there isn't a single sound coming from my cab. I don't know if there's something wrong with the head or the cab or what, but it's pissing me off. I've been waiting to get this for forever and i'm so pissed that it doesn't work. Plus, i've been searching for speaker cables, but i can't find them anywhere i've tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart... are most speaker cables bought online then?
Please HELP!!!
You will need to confirm that your lead is ok, you can do this with a multimetre; this will show whether it is your amp or cab.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
for your ashdown amp you'll want jack to speakon, that's what i'm using. It is kinda stupid that it only has jack outs though.

also @ joesatriani#9
ALWAYS USE SPEAKER CABLES
Quote by Switcheffect525
So what cables would you recommend to connect your amp head to your amp speakers.?

Did you read any of this?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I think he's asking what brands. I use monster cables. Love them!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by telecastrmastr
I CAN"T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU JUST SAID

I CAN WRITE IN ALL CAPS TOO

Basically, he's grumpy because he failed a midterm and his teacher is ugly and boring.

P-EDIT: Oh, TS, listen to everyone who posted anything on topic except for the first guy. Speaker cables, Speakon cables, Monster is good.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by JoeSatriani#9
Plus, i've been searching for speaker cables, but i can't find them anywhere i've tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart... are most speaker cables bought online then?
Please HELP!!!

Music stores like Guitar Center.
go to a guitar shop like zycho said. if they don't have them they shouldn't be in business...you can get guiar cables at circuit city????
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Switcheffect525
So what cables would you recommend to connect your amp head to your amp speakers.?

Thick ones. And ones that aren't patch cords.
Quote by Cody_Grey102