Is the Fender Super Champ XD an all-tube amp?

It has three tubes, but it's got all these different voices and stuff, as if it were a digital modeling amp or something like that. So I don't know if it's considered an all-tube amp. Or maybe there are some voices among the 16 voices that use all tube. I don't know.

I also read something about the SCXD being a hybrid tube amp or something like that.

Could someone please explain whether it is an all-tube amp or a hybrid tube amp or whatever it is? And if it's not an all-tube amp, could you please compare it with an all-tube amp?

Thanks!
Tube power amp, solid state preamp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
it has tube power and a tube preamp. only one 12ax7 though so not the greatest but it is tube. all that digital stuff is like if you had an effect loop. its inserted in between the preamp and power amp to voice it a certain way. it would be like playing through a small tube amp with an external multi fx with an amp emulator it has but just built into it so even though it has tube preamp and power youre still depending on digital to shape the sounds you get. i tried one once at a guitar center and it soundes way better than most solid state. only reason i didnt like it was because i prefer more of a brittish-voiced amp. definitely one of the better buys out there.
It's not all tube, but it's about as close as you can get and still be a hybrid modeler. Having a preamp tube and power amp tubes. Very nice little amp IMO.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Bascially the thing that matters the most is tubes in the poweramp, which it has. The preamp is digital. But it's the poweramp tubes that gives THAT tube sound.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
So it still has the tube SOUND because it has tubes in the poweramp? But the kinds of sounds that you get is from digital technology? Am I right?

So if I'm looking for an amp that can give me tube sound, I could get this amp and I wouldn't want to replace it with an all tube amp in the future? I'm not really that aware right now of what tube amps are and stuff, but in the future, I might end up realizing that tubes are awesome and stuff, and I don't want to end up saying "shoot, I shouldn't have bought the super champ. I should have gotten an all tube amp instead". I don't want to end up regretting :P

Please tell me if I got it right
Well sure the amp isnt going to be cimpareable to a high end tube amp. But I think, for the price, it is a GREAT AMP. The modeling is great and the tube poweramp provides you with the tube sound you're looking for. I like the amp a lot.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It's a good amp for: recording, bedroom practice, jamming.

Easily the best sub 300 dollar modeler I tried (I own it). Half the preamp is tube, poweramp is all tube. If you need to play a variety of styles and have a low budget, it's the way to go.
Only knock I have on it is the lack of an effects loop and mid eq.

When I crank it, it sounds delightful. Haven't regretted buying it in lieu of an all tube amp yet. Picked it over an epi valve jr at the store as well.
I like it. I have it. Its brilliant. I fully suggest looking into it.
I know it has an all tube poweramp, but not sure about the preamp. Even still, its loud!
I mean properly loud. I have it no louder than 3 when using it at home and no more than 6 when at band practice. It easily drowns the drummer out (well, when i had a drummer!). Ive used it in a gig situation and it held out pretty well so yeah its good.
Excellent little amplifier. Fender has got the right idea with the tube POWER AMP. The rest of these hybrids are a gimmick. One little 12AX7 in the preamp of an amp with a solid state power selection does not make much of a difference. Peavey and Roland did stuff like this back in the 70s (solid pre, tube power), and Fender basically has updated and improved it. Great amp.
So would this be a good amp for doing soft/alt rock and metal as well?

(With the help pedals of course...)
the metal settings were decent, I've since swapped the speaker to a jensen and haven't even played on the metal channels since.

Best thing to do is try one yourself, I've kind of forgotten what mine sounded like stock.
I don't think you really need pedals, that's what the different amp voicings are for. Not saying they wouldn't help, but it's not like you need a distortion pedal to get metal.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Excellent little amplifier. Fender has got the right idea with the tube POWER AMP. The rest of these hybrids are a gimmick. One little 12AX7 in the preamp of an amp with a solid state power selection does not make much of a difference. Peavey and Roland did stuff like this back in the 70s (solid pre, tube power), and Fender basically has updated and improved it. Great amp.

I agree, if I was looking for an all in 1 modeler. This would be it. Liked it alot better then the valvetronix, and vypyr.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I agree, if I was looking for an all in 1 modeler. This would be it. Liked it alot better then the valvetronix, and vypyr.

bummer...i chose the vypyr instead i just liked it more, although i cant say anything bad about the super champ...im actually recommending it to my other guitarist because hes in a similar situation as you TS
super champ=great amp
vypyrs are nice too lol
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
I should clarify that statement .... better then the vypyr 30.. i have yet to find the 75. they are great bang for the buck, but I thought the SC was closer to my Vj/POD setup which I absolutely love. If my Vj was 18 watts I'd probably never buy another amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The only other amps I've seen which do this whole solid pre-amp tube power-amp are the Roland Bolt 60 amps and the Peavey Heritage VTX amps... Great amps

Superchamp is a really good damn amp for the price. I absolutely Love the cleans.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
it has tube power and a tube preamp. only one 12ax7 though so not the greatest but it is tube. all that digital stuff is like if you had an effect loop. its inserted in between the preamp and power amp to voice it a certain way. it would be like playing through a small tube amp with an external multi fx with an amp emulator it has but just built into it so even though it has tube preamp and power youre still depending on digital to shape the sounds you get. i tried one once at a guitar center and it soundes way better than most solid state. only reason i didnt like it was because i prefer more of a brittish-voiced amp. definitely one of the better buys out there.
i think probably not. i'm guessing the 12AX7 is used as a Phase Inverter, feeding the 2 6V6 output tubes.

Quote by jazpertan
So it still has the tube SOUND because it has tubes in the poweramp? But the kinds of sounds that you get is from digital technology? Am I right?

So if I'm looking for an amp that can give me tube sound, I could get this amp and I wouldn't want to replace it with an all tube amp in the future? I'm not really that aware right now of what tube amps are and stuff, but in the future, I might end up realizing that tubes are awesome and stuff, and I don't want to end up saying "shoot, I shouldn't have bought the super champ. I should have gotten an all tube amp instead". I don't want to end up regretting :P

Please tell me if I got it right
you'll only get "tube amp" distortion when this amp is CRANKED. but because it's a push-pull output circuit, you'll get the tastiest flavour of tube distortion when you do that.

the DSP stuff will still be DSP.

Quote by Highwaytohell
The only other amps I've seen which do this whole solid pre-amp tube power-amp are the Roland Bolt 60 amps and the Peavey Heritage VTX amps... Great amps

Superchamp is a really good damn amp for the price. I absolutely Love the cleans.
Early MusicMan hybrids did this, too.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 8, 2008,