I have come to the conclusion that the minor 7th interval in rock music in general from it's lightest form rock&roll to metal has been used as a basic structural element much in the same fashion the 3rds(maj/min) where in classical music.

I would say it comes second in inportance after the obvious fifth that is used in power chords.

Agree/ disagree?
maybe,

This comes from the standard pentatonic with the bend from the 7th to the root, many very popular licks built around this. And perhaps dominant chords, moreso in blues though.

However i would still rate the 3rds as more important.

I've changed my mine several times in this post and once more. Intervals aren't really important per se, they give different sounds not a definition for a genre.
Quote by Dale_kerigan
Intervals aren't really important per se, they give different sounds

i disagree, they're the most important part of music
Quote by Dale_kerigan

I've changed my mine several times in this post and once more. Intervals aren't really important per se, they give different sounds not a definition for a genre.

How do you figure? Without intervals, you just have single notes. Play an A#. Without context, all it is is a single tone that does nothing on it's own. Play an A# in conjunction with the right intervals, and it will sound amazing.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!