Bought an acoustic guitar, realized I was broke and in need of a new amp. Returned it, now have $840 in Store Credit.

Also trying to sell my Blues Deluxe for ~$500 via Craig's List. I've gone to GC twice since I got the credit and I can't find any amp I want. I need something with good cleans and some great built in distortion. I know people hate Spiders, but I have to be honest, every time I go in to a music store I play a spider because it sounds the best and is the easiest to use. But I must be missing something right? There has to be a great amp for me in my price range.

Think of Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Thrice, Sublime, and Blink for the distortion sounds I'm looking for, I can't really describe the music I'm playing but those are the sounds I want.
I have a Tubescreamer, MetalMuff, EQ, and Crybaby also, so keep that in mind.

My guitars are Carvin DC135, and Mexican Strat with the custom shop 69 pickups, but im changing the bridge to a red lace sensor so i can handle distortion. What should i do? I've got all this money and can't find the right amp.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
aload of 15 year olds thinking they know what a good amp is .
its best not to listen to these forums.
ive used spiders and found nothing wrong with them:s.
Quote by Aleene
Spider valve?

I hear that they're alot better than the spider 3's...

They pretty much blow Spider 3's out of the water. Bogner designed the tube amp for a spider valve so they are amazing amps. I own one and I just freaking love it. The 2x12 combo is right around 800 buckaroos too so you should definately try one. Lots of options and plenty of nice built in effects also.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
You might like the spider now, but spend a good 2 hours with it and see what you think, turn it up loud and see what you think. If you still like it then consider the reliability issues (the computer in it is very prone to going haywire/not working at all). If you can deal with all that then buy the spider, otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

Your blues deluxe has great cleans, so maybe try a nice distortion pedal with it. I think the guitarist for the pumpkins uses a big muff, and a nice keeley modded ds1 could get you some spot on nirvana and blink 182 tones. An MI audio crunch box would sound great through it as well.

Also, have you tried using the tubescreamer on the gain channel with the gain set very low on the amp and a little higher on the tubescreamer?

As for amps, I can surmise your budget is 840 + ~500 dollars? I'd look at the mesa lonestar, great cleans and can do hard rock on the second channel, JSX combo is worth a look too. I'm not a fan, but maybe look into the tube marshals like the jcm2000 combo?

The spider valve is a waste, it's still got the spider preamp which still makes it sound like crap. The effects are horrible as well so there is pretty much no point to consider it considering your budget.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Does your GC have a good used section?

Because 90% of the amps the have aren't worth the time of day.
The Blues Deluxe is not something Im keeping. It was not meant for high gain, believe me Ive tried it with my pedals. I want something that was built for handling the gain. It gives enormous amounts of unwanted feedback when its loud + a pedal. When I bought it, I was in a mindset of playing clean and classic rock. Im a changed person, i need something completely new.

If you are thinking about the Spider 3, then just get a Line 6 X3 Live or GT-10 and put it in front of your Blues Deluxe. It will sound a lot better.
I'm not thinking about a spider. I didn't really make myself clear. Everytime i go to a GC or other store, i end up playing a spider b/c it sounds the best and is easiest to use. But I must be missing something, there has to be something else. I dont want a spider, but if its the best sounding amp i come across i feel like im missing something.

Peavey VK.

/thread
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
Peavey VK.

/thread

For 800 dollars? It's not a bad amp, but for 800 bones you can do way better.
Quote by Kozlic
Peavey VK.

/thread

I'll be honest, i tried one and it sucked. And i didn't just plug in and play, i fiddled with all the knobs and volume and channels for a good 20min before i came to the conclusion that it sucked.

edit but in defense of the amp, there was another knob on the back of the amp (what a bad place to put it) and i couldnt reach it, so maybe that was the magical knob that made it into a good amp.

Kozlick No not really.
If you're going to have about 1340 in total after you sell your Fender, then why not go for something really nice.
Quote by Kevin Saale
For 800 dollars? It's not a bad amp, but for 800 bones you can do way better.

Agreed. I'd be tempted by one of these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Rebel-20-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483496
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Rebel-112X-1x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet?sku=609804

Brand New out. I wish they were over here, I'm GASing for one.

Also, keep your fender for clean and A/B/Y them for the sex.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Have you tried one? I was totally unimpressed by this amp, side by side with a blues jr the blues jr absolutely trashed it for blues, classic rock, and then then hard rock when I used a full drive 2 with the bj (bj + full drive 2 is still cheaper than the egnater and that's if you go new). I tried the rebel with an overdrive, tried turning the wattage up to 20 with the master pretty wel open, tried the wattage low and the master dimed. I gave it a good run, but it just wasn't very clear and didn't have a great crunch or anything worthwhile. Sad to say, but it seems like it's just a gimmick amp.
Well as it's not available over here no I haven't tried it. However I've heard several clips and it sounded like a decent low to medium gain tone to me. But then I haven't heard IRL so it's all hearsay.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Well as it's not available over here no I haven't tried it. However I've heard several clips and it sounded like a decent low to medium gain tone to me. But then I haven't heard IRL so it's all hearsay.

Yeah, I really wanted this amp to be good after hearing the clips (I saw the ones from the guy who got one before they were out, are those the one's you're talking about, because I thought they sounded great as well), and after seeing all it's cool features (wattage control, tube blend), but it definitely fell flat on it's face. To be beat out by an amp half it's price is pretty bad. Maybe it was the rebel cabs, but I dunno, you'd think those would complement the amp well.
Quote by deluxity
try some crate or randall amps (if you want high gain)

Way to fail, most of crate's good amps aren't high gain and randall makes some good and bad amps. Maybe next time give some specific models to look at?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, I really wanted this amp to be good after hearing the clips (I saw the ones from the guy who got one before they were out, are those the one's you're talking about, because I thought they sounded great as well), and after seeing all it's cool features (wattage control, tube blend), but it definitely fell flat on it's face. To be beat out by an amp half it's price is pretty bad. Maybe it was the rebel cabs, but I dunno, you'd think those would complement the amp well.

Yeah it was those clips. It's a shame to hear that it is a duff model because I was so excited about the tube mix feature, and the variable wattage would have been great for late practise.

TBH, I looked at the cab and saw that it had a custom voiced Celestion, which never bodes well in my book but I thought I could live with it and swap it out eventually. Call me OCD but I absolutley hate not having matching cabs with heads I could never own a head without it's matching cab, or at least one with the same colour and name on the front.

Am I crazy
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Yeah it was those clips. It's a shame to hear that it is a duff model because I was so excited about the tube mix feature, and the variable wattage would have been great for late practise.

TBH, I looked at the cab and saw that it had a custom voiced Celestion, which never bodes well in my book but I thought I could live with it and swap it out eventually. Call me OCD but I absolutley hate not having matching cabs with heads I could never own a head without it's matching cab, or at least one with the same colour and name on the front.

Am I crazy

Nah, but I'd try it with a different cab just to test different speakers. The cabs aren't too expensive, but for a 600 dollar head + 2-300 dollar cab this amp should have rocked.
Get a ENGL combo, it has great cleans and distortion and i'm talking from experience.
What engl? What's with all the dipshits recommending brands and not giving models?
^Thank you, now you aren't, but recommending just a brand is foolish since you don't give the TS an idea what to look at.
Id say look into the bugeras 6262, the most versatile amp they have.
and if its guitar center then yah thats about all your ganna wan to look into.
If you want something that has better cleans and can get pretty loco on the gain look at a B-52 AT head, a better amp than the Bugera, i just tought it was more versatile.

and yah the rebel was such a let down, they say " it looks like a toy but its not" but its a frieken joke.
The wattage controll is a joke(a gimmick really), i dont think it carries out what it was supposed to actually do.

The tube controll thing hardly even changes your sound and youd be better of messing with the MID knob all day cause the treblle and bass are complete ghost.

And other than that the only thing i found usefull was the tight and bright switch cause it didnt make the amp sound all that bad with them flicked on.

After trying to like it for an hour and fiddling with it i just got on a vox ac15 let the tubes warm up, and boom instant bliss in as soon as i switched the stand by, didnt have to fiddle or mess with anything just bliss.
IF you ask me the whole amp is a gimmick and your better of getting some cheap tube amp like a valve junior or a crate, tonaly there better and cheaper if you ask me.
Or use the same money and get a AC15.
UGGHHH that amps completely overpriced(the rebel).
Quote by Kevin Saale
What engl? What's with all the dipshits recommending brands and not giving models?

we might recommend and specific amp, but what if he can't find it?

when you say brands, he can go and try amps from those brands and find something that's good for him
traynor or a used mesa?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

For high gain in that pricerange, Randall RG50TC, Bugera 333, 333XL, 6262... perhaps a used Peavey Ultra or XXX or JSX combo?

If you want more punk stuff check out a Peavey Classic 30 and Traynor YCS50 and YCV50 BLUE.

EDIT: Forgot about Mesas... used Mesa F-30 or F-50 or Mesa DC-3 or DC-5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??