I was looking into buying an Epiphone 1966 G400 SG, when I came across this on craigslist..

2001 Gibson SG Special. $350.

I'm not sure the order of quality on gibson guitars, but is that a steal, or at least better than the g400?

if its not fake and all the parts are original and not replaced with crappier versions, then its a hell of a steal. ive never been a fan of the gibson faded sg's but, at 350 bucks, id deffinatly pick one up.
thats a huge steal, definitely go for it.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
It would be a good guitar, but i hate the sg's with the unfinished necks, and yes better than a G400
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Mm, good deal. It's still an SG special, though, meaning you look like a compromising arse when you play one, but at that price, go for it.

But the unbound neck - lots of guitars can get away with it, but not a Gibson. It's wrong D:

But I digress; you'll still be getting a great sounding and playing guitar for a great price, and one that was made before Gibson's recent drop in consistency (which seems to be getting better) and it is, I have to say, one SEXY colour.
Quote by Rock Pig
Mm, good deal. It's still an SG special, though, meaning you look like a compromising arse when you play one, but at that price, go for it.

But the unbound neck - lots of guitars can get away with it, but not a Gibson. It's wrong D:

But I digress; you'll still be getting a great sounding and playing guitar for a great price, and one that was made before Gibson's recent drop in consistency (which seems to be getting better) and it is, I have to say, one SEXY colour.

So it's not anywhere near SG Standard quality? I've seen and heard before that below-standard SG's aren't worth it, but then again, I was looking into a G400.

Quote by ATDR1390
if its not fake and all the parts are original and not replaced with crappier versions, then its a hell of a steal. ive never been a fan of the gibson faded sg's but, at 350 bucks, id deffinatly pick one up.

Even if it's got crap pickups and whatnot, I'm sure I could just replace them for less than the "buy-like-new" amount anyway, right?
I've really tried to like SG's because they look awesome but I just can't do it. Every one I've picked up I've hated the way the neck felt, in fact the whole guitar just felt wrong in my hands.

I recommend you try it out - plug it in, play it a bit. If you love it, buy it. The price is certainly right.

If it doesn't inspire you it doesn't matter how cheap it is you should spend your cash on something you will want to play.
Quote by ehsteve
I've really tried to like SG's because they look awesome but I just can't do it. Every one I've picked up I've hated the way the neck felt, in fact the whole guitar just felt wrong in my hands.

I recommend you try it out - plug it in, play it a bit. If you love it, buy it. The price is certainly right.

If it doesn't inspire you it doesn't matter how cheap it is you should spend your cash on something you will want to play.

Well, I haven't played this one in particular, but I have played a Gibson SG standard, a few Epiphone LP's (not the same, I know) and some mid to low Epiphone SG's. I do like the feel to them in general, so comfort's no issue, unless the neck on the Special is completely different from the Standard.
Quote by xkxlxhx
So it's not anywhere near SG Standard quality?

I wouldn't say that. It's not as classy without the binding and p/u covers, but it should sound and play just as well. In fact, without the p/u covers it will let in more high frequencies and sound a little bit better. Great for pinch harmonics, if you do that stuff.