So im looking to buy an amp and i have kind of narrowed it down to these ones... im still open to whatever though. I need suggestions about these amps. I know the GC by me had the crate on sale for like $200 (cant remember for sure), and ive really liked the peavey's. Id like to stay under $400-$300. any other suggestions for amps or good things to know about these amps?

I will be using a Schecter C1-fr through the amp and i would like to have a pretty solid clean tone too..I will be running effects by stomp boxes so effects on the amp arent a huge thing to me.....also would like somethin i could hook headphones into because i will be living in an appt soon and i dont want to get booted because i was playin too loud (even know i dont think there really is a TOO loudm, other renters may have different opinions)
What kind of tones are you after? Can you go used? Are you gonna be gigging, or is this for practice only?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ /agreed

Keep in mind, the Vypyr is a Modeling amp, so thus, more versatility.

I own the FW 120W Halfie, and it has very nice cleans, but when you hit the OD and High Gain, you only get three noticable different tones.

If you want metal, go with the Vypyr because of its versatility, but if you want something with great cleans or just a few toned OD, the crate is good too. I enjoyed mine, and i still do. But for things with light rock, like Jimi Henrdix. But when i want to play some metal, i usually find someone else to jam with. Preferably my buddy with a Mesa

EDIT: Oh, and as for effects, the Crate has nice reverb. The others are iffy.
Quote by Kevin Saale
What kind of tones are you after? Can you go used? Are you gonna be gigging, or is this for practice only?

I will only use it for practice. I like to play metal...but i just dont wanna give up on them cleans... I would like there still to be crisp cleans..but still have that bite with the OD...im willing to buy used also if there were something that cought my eye.

Im not a huge tone freak but i dont want to loose the great cleans my guitar already can produce.
Hmm, look at the cube 30x, has a nice metal tone and a clean channel modeled after the JC120 (SS amp famed for it's clean tones)
In that case, id say go with the Crate.

It has awesome cleans, and you can always use an OD pedal to help out. The High Gain has some Bite to it, but its only a 1 or 2 toned bite.

The peavey does have alot of tones, but the clean to me feels somewhat... Lacking.
^I totally disagree, the crate is a bad all around amp. Not to mention boosting an SS amp with an overdrive is a terrible idea.
i say go with neither and look at the used market.
Do you have a problem buying used on Ebay or craigslist TS?

IF you already have stomp boxes look at crates if your ganna buy new.
If your willing to buy used to get something better then look at Classic 30's and flextones, bugera's 6262.
If your ganna be playing indoor and also want something that could gig, a tube amp is out of the question and i highly recomend you look into used flextones.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 3, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
^I totally disagree, the crate is a bad all around amp. Not to mention boosting an SS amp with an overdrive is a terrible idea.

I meant throw on a Distortion. Thats what is lacking

It actually has a very nice Clean Channel
Quote by THEKID546
If your ganna be playing indoor and also want something that could gig, a tube amp is out of the question and i highly recomend you look into used flextones.

Why do you say that? Metal sounds fine at low volumes on tube amps. Where is all this the amp has to be dimed to sound good crap from? Sure, it sounds BETTER, but that doesn't mean a quality tube amp won't sound good at low volumes.

SMB: The cleans are passable, but for that much you could get a v33 combo and have much better cleans and nice overdrive, though you'd need an OD to get it to metal territory.
^im just saying tubes not always the answer to everything.
Ideally the flextone will do better metal at low volumes, and just kick ass when its cranked.
30 watts tube is alot for any room, even at "low volumes"
Quote by THEKID546
^im just saying tubes not always the answer to everything.
Ideally the flextone will do better metal at low volumes, and just kick ass when its cranked.
30 watts tube is alot for any room, even at "low volumes"

Number one, the flextone will sound the same at any volume.

Number two, the flextone is not the answer to everything either.

Even without an attenuator my f30 can be quiet enough to be played in a house and still sound fine.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Hmm, look at the cube 30x, has a nice metal tone and a clean channel modeled after the JC120 (SS amp famed for it's clean tones)

i have been looking at one of them too, there is just so much to look at. I might have to look into the used market a little more but im a little paranoid about buying something off of Ebay..or maybe thats just me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Number one, the flextone will sound the same at any volume.

Number two, the flextone is not the answer to everything either.

Even without an attenuator my f30 can be quiet enough to be played in a house and still sound fine.

Got me on the number 2.
and number 1.
And i gave the vypyr another shot , and ive changed my mind, its really really good, for metal.
Cleans not so much.