All,

I'm trying to get hold of some of the above, but having a bit of trouble.

I can get the normal cheap CTS audio taper pots, I can also get their 450 series 'premuim' custom taper pots (which i quite like).

I'm having trouble sourcing a CTS 500k Linear Taper pot though - anybody got a link or a secret stash?

Or a part number....?

Thanks,
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
You know linear and audio taper pots are different right? and that your probably better off with audio taper pots (unless you want linear for a specific reason)

I'm not being patronising I just wanner make sure...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
No worries dude - glad for any input.

Yeah I know they're different. From what I can remember it goes something like this:

Audio/Log taper - best used for vol controls cos the human ear needs a x 10 increase in decibels to perceive a x 2 increase in volume (something like that)

Linear Taper - used/were used for tone controls. Linear taper goes up in normal steps, so when you have it half way there is 50% output/resistance/whatever.

Now as far as I can make out, the best way to drive my 2xhumbucker EPI Les Paul, and get the best out of the controls so that you dont get the unuseable 'all or nothing' stock controls is to have 500k pots all round, audio/log taper for the Vols and Linear for the Tone.

Even if that is not quite the case, i still want to get hold of some and try this configuration.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Here's the difference between Audio Taper and Linear pots when used in tone controls.

Audio Taper:
Moves quickly from "full tone" to having an effect as the pot is rotated CCW from maximum.
Has fine control at the lower settings.

Linear:
Moves quickly from "full CUT" to reducing the effect as the pot is rotated CW from minimum.
Has fine control at the higher settings.

i prefer Audio Taper,
but choose what suits you, cuz now you know how they differ.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thank you too kind Sir, you are truly a scholar, though perhaps not so much the Gent!

That makes perfect sense, I think.

Just to get this right in my head - going Linear for tone means that the 'useable-to-mud' transition would occur lower down the scale.....?

If that is correct, then I'm pretty sure that's what i want for my LP
Quote by cuthbertg
Thank you too kind Sir, you are truly a scholar, though perhaps not so much the Gent!

That makes perfect sense, I think.

Just to get this right in my head - going Linear for tone means that the 'useable-to-mud' transition would occur lower down the scale.....?

If that is correct, then I'm pretty sure that's what i want for my LP
waaaay down at the bottom of the scale.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.